Suggestions for the FF/JC table

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebration Anaheim' started by Obi Anne, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    We're going to have a table this time again, and we would like to have your input. What do you think would be fun to have at the table, and remember that the table is to recruit new members, so what do you think would draw people to the table?
  2. Darth-Dogfish-Head Force Ghost

star 4
    Not sure what the cost looks like, but limited edition pins seem to be a big draw.
  3. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Possible Discussion Points:

Flyers - What kinds? How many?

Giveaways - The braclets last year were a HUGE hit. Continue? How you would improve them? New idea?
  4. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'm not sure how practical this would be, but could we run some sort of game or event at our table? That would help attract forum members new and old.

Re: giveaways: the bracelets were fantastic! I say continue that the same as last time.
  5. Darth-Dogfish-Head Force Ghost

star 4
    At CV I signed up to volunteer at the table for an hour or two and there were actually a lot of people there already so I think I was kinda in the way for my shift. It wasn't a huge deal, I just like to fulfill my obligations if I sign up for something, so maybe have a system where you check in during the time you signed up to see if you're needed, with the understanding that you might not need to stay? I hope what I'm trying to say makes at least a little bit of sense lol.
  6. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Customer service. I know we're not a gimmicky product, but looking at the other booths and how outgoing and attention grabbing they were, and then how reclusive we were in comparison, I can see why so many people gave curious stares at the booth and just kept walking. Maybe get someone cosplaying to chill in front of the booth as well as have a person sitting behind the booth. And more free things. People love free crap. The banner was fantastic, but if the rest of the booth had been on the same level I think we'd have grabbed the interest of a lot more people. Just anything to make the booth more approachable.
  7. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    I do get what you are trying to say. There were times when some of us were able to spend more time at the table than initially planned and so it kind of carried over without intention. There is a lot to do with the staff of the table that we realise we could do differently and/or better.

SLG makes a good point, more engagement with the people around or passing by was needed at times. Some people could do it well, others not so much. And that isn't a criticism as I know how long it took me to be comfortable with it.
  8. JarJarJedi Force Ghost

star 6
    I agree that we need to have something to pull people in. Free stuff is always awesome (I picked up my fair share of free stuff at CV), but the person is only at your booth for basically 5 seconds, and then they are off to the next booth. If we would have some kind of game in order for the people to win said free stuff, then we would probably have a captive audiance for longer than 5 seconds. As they are playing the game/spinning a wheel, we could quickly say who/what we are, and maybe throwing in how long we have been around as a board might not be a bad idea either, to prove that people are still interested after all these years. I think it was the DC area collector's club that had a game to "win" the patch that they were giving away with the other collector clubs.

But if you really wanted a cosplay character to stand outside/sit behind the booth, I'll volunteer. I might get the short stormtrooper joke dropped about 1,000 times, but I don't care. :p Or I could try to sit and everyone might come up to the booth just beacause I'm a stormtrooper sitting, and I'll look like I'm uncomfortable... and I would be. [face_laugh]

Anyways, just my $.02 :)
  9. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Free hugs is also a classic option.
  10. JediJustin Jedi Master

star 4
    Not to get totally off topic, but I've always wondered:

How do you guys organize who mans the FF/JC table and when during each day of a Celebration?

With how much goes on during a Celebration to see/do, I'm sure there are a few instances where everyone at the FF/JC table would want to all see/do the same thing (Rick McCallum Spectacular, Opening Ceremonies, The Main Event, etc).
  11. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    We simply ask people to volunteer for their shifts, and we expect them to be there. It's easier when they give us the program in advance, but so far it has worked good enough.
  12. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I think we should avoid using people in costume as a way to pull people in. After all, we are not a costuming club.
  13. BigFortuna Jedi Padawan

I love the cosplay idea, but not only behind the desk. There's always a lot of people looking forward to have some picture with somebody in costume, kids love that and they're never alone, always with parents, brothers, sisters, you name it. Do you want a picture? bring your camera at the FF/JC booth (or table or whatever :p )
    If it's a cool cosplay everybody wants a picture or kidnap Elvis Stormtrooper to be standing next to the table [face_clown]

I love the pin idea too!
  14. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I agree with Miana, we are not a cosplay or costuming site, so draw people to the table with that would be wrong.
  15. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Well I didn't really mean to advertise as a costuming club, just have a person or at max 2 in costume. The rest of the booth should be able to speak for itself. Given that over half the people attending the con are in costume (including some of the people working the table last time), it wouldn't really stand out as a costuming specific thing.
  16. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    What if a bunch of us sit at the table pecking away on laptop keyboards and laughing at in-jokes? That would establish the true nature of the product being advertised. ;)
  17. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    What Obi Anne said.

We've been doing it the exact same way since C2 - a month or so before it starts, we post a sign up sheet with one-hour time slots and allow people to sign up for shifts. We've never really had a problem filling spots, or getting people to work their shifts. For the most part, if anything, there are usually MORE people at the table than just those who are scheduled to be there.
  18. JarJarJedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Besides, it's not like we don't have a costuming forum.
  19. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Yes but as I mod said costuming forum, I can say with all certainty that costuming is NOT what represents us. :p
  20. Darth-Dogfish-Head Force Ghost

star 4
    How about a raffle/contest that is scheduled into the event, so drawing times are already announced. Then we'll (hopefully) get groups of people coming to the table at specific times and enouwe wouldn't need to depend on anyone needing to be outgoing enough to to draw in people randomly throughout the weekend.

We could raffle off items for charity, comp tickets to your party, any give away item etc. If we did something like that then you would want cosplay (I'm guessing that means folks dressed up like Star Wars characters?) there for the drawing. Because no matter how cool any of us think we are, not one of us is as cool as even the shortest storm trooper at Celebration lol.

Have all the information you want people to have about FF/JC ready so it can be easily handed out when they come to the drawings and you should be able to maximize your advertising opportunities.

Magnets are great for marketing and might be something to think about if you haven't already. Pens run out of ink, papers get thrown away but people tend to hang onto magnets.
  21. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    I'd be all for a raffle. We'd just have to clear it with the con people first to make sure it's OK. Usually when money changes hands like that, all of a sudden there are lots more rules involved.
  22. BigFortuna Jedi Padawan

Sadly that's so true! I hope they don't mind.

23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I didn't see this table last time, so maybe I'm not being helpful, but there could be laptops for people to sign up for accounts on the spot, and those who did would be entered in a raffle for an official JCF shirt (keeping with the self-promotion theme) or something.
  24. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    =D= GREAT idea!
  25. BigFortuna Jedi Padawan

I only hope for a internet connection for that. I've heard a lot stuff about the wi-fi form previous celebrtations and they are not good [face_praying]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.