main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph (The) Suicide Squad

Discussion in 'Community' started by BigAl6ft6, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

I believe the original plan for the DC Extended Universe was to have a proper Man of Steel sequel with Superman inspiring other "heroes" to put on a costume, as noted in this quote from David Goyer a few years ago:

But all that went to the trash bin when Man of Steel was not universally well received (mostly because of the battle in Metropolis and Superman snapping Zod neck). So, Snyder hearing the backlash, scrapped the Man of Steel sequel for in favor of having Batman fight Superman because of the global threat that Superman presents.

So, "the idea" that Superman is the first one is diminished.

Moreover, Batman may have not been considered a hero, but an outlaw; a good man turned cruel. Wonder Woman, could have been just a myth; forgotten after both World Wars by the time of Man of Steel. Probably preferable by Diana after visiting the world of man and witnessing their world war, which in turn continued the isolation of Themyscira.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    In the flashbacks, are we to see WW fighting alongside Captain America?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Marvel never tried to hide that though. Nick Fury's stinger in Iron Man clearly alluded to it as we see in this board's thread title: "You think you're the only superhero in the world? Mr. Stark, you've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet." Then Marvel followed up with Hulk already existing and on the run, and the super soldier formula being recreated because Captain America had existed. And the only real news was outer space stuff with Thor and the as yet unseen Guardians and Thanos. The Inhumans tie into that as well and Agents of SHIELD have done a pretty good job explaining how they could exist in secret for so long. Doctor Strange is probably the easiest of all given that it's magic and the comics already do a good job of keeping the Sorcerer Supreme pretty hidden unless needed.

DC does have a larger issue and I agree with your complaint there. The hardest thing to swallow in those early reports was that Batman operated in secret for 30 years and was essentially a myth. Pretty hard to buy with Joker and Harley running around. Even harder with all these other characters in Suicide Squad. Could I buy that Superman was the first 'public' superhero? Maybe. But it certainly seems strange to me how the military reacts when you have someone like Amanda Waller knowing the type of people she has locked up. Granted if this is Checkmate or Cadmus or Argus or whatever it's called, it probably functions like SHIELD and keeps these things secret. So maybe Waller and her crew kept Batman a myth and the others locked up and Superman being broadcast on tv plus the damage of the fight just couldn't be covered up-similar to the Avengers revealing the existence of both aliens from outer space and the heroes that fought them.

4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

They are separated by about 20 years there.

Juliet316 and Diggy like this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Yeah, Marvel set out from the start to have Iron Man be the kick off to a grander universe beyond just Tony Stark. DC is playing catch - up and is running into all sorts of continuty problems doing it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Definitely hoping the humour is bleak and sufficiently gallows-esque. Also hoping Deadshot is an amoral hitman with a deathwish. Also very pleased Killer Croc isn't explained away with words like "genetics," "mutant," "crocodile-like," or anything else, he's just Killer Croc, a croc-man who eats people.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I loved this trailer cuz it was definitely crazy. Slight change from the comic-con trailer was Waller's line of "the worst of the worst" is more of a casual, tossed off bit here as she's eating vs. the more serious "worst of the worst" line delivery from the Comic Con trailer. And everything Margot Robbie does I think is just fantastic, she's gonna run away with this flick, like the moment when she's happily waving from the elevator or blowing the hair out of her face, she's sort of reveling in the chaos around her.

Yeah, I didn't see much of an upbeat sense humour, it still seems dark to me. Harley's "voices" line is a dark gag. The trailer has some definite funny and madcap bits (Captain Boomerang downing the beer is madcap but still kinda dark) but we're still talking about bad people corralled into working for the government, and the trailer opens up with them getting the hell beaten out of them by their handlers. Admittedly, the Comic Con teaser was way, way dark but I still think that's the overriding vibe.

I think it's going to be a funny movie in fits and places but even when Ayer does funny, there's still an undercurrent of nihilism, which befits the tone.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ClevverMovies: Suicide Squad Sequel Eyed For 2018

Transcript of the video above for the YouTube impaired.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, this matches up to the rumor mill from the other day about WB suits being keen on SS compared to the concern over DOJ. Whether or not it's true, well, we'll see at the end of this month and later this summer.

10. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    The trailer with Bohemian Rhapsody is probably the coolest trailer I've ever seen. It's incredibly fun, and it really makes me want to see the movie.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    wow, Ayer is definitely in for another movie after Suicide Squad but he'll be cranking them out if the Squad sequel is out 2 years later.

I'm hoping that there's enough in what they shot in Suicide Squad to make it an R rating like all of Ayer's output. I think after Deadpool, the %100 Must Be PG-13 ideology might be a tad... bendable.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I would think so as Suicide Squad does feature Harley Quinn, which is like DC's version of Deadpool. I would suspect that Harley would get her own spin off flick at some point and I could imagine it R Rated, much like Deadpool, which I think Harley easily lends herself to. Harley has just skyrocketed from her humble beginnings as being the love interest/sidekick to the Joker as she has her own comic book title (which the Joker doesn't) and there are tons of women and a few men cosplaying as her.

For me, it's Guardian of the Galaxy. I remember when that trailer hit, Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling was like the best selling song that week. However, I would agree the Bohemian Rhapsody was much better than the SDCC trailer. I love it when the footage syncs up with the music. And the trailer made the Jai Courtney haters reconsider their opinion as Boomerang looked pretty cool in the trailer. I'm also glad the trailer was selling the movie on the strength of it's featured characters rather than a Batman (most likely) cameo.

I'm still not yet on board with Leto's Joker though.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  13. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Oh, I think Leto's Joker is fantastic. His turn in Dallas Buyer's Club made me a fan, and I think the man can do no wrong. The tats are a little weird, I'll grant, but other than that he comes across as the Joker from the comics I read in the 90s.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Oh, hai...

AmySolo likes this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I know Deadpool is was created as a sort of ripoff of Deathstroke, but their personalities and foundation of their fandom are totally different. Whereas, Deadpool and Harley Quinn are similar in personality, usage in the comic books and adoration by the fans.

I don't think Deathstroke could open a film by himself at $132 million, but I think Harley Quinn can.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If I had to completely guess at a general arc of this movie, I'd say Harley is still "close" to her "Mista Jay" and may be on the verge of turning on the team (There's that shot of her going up in the elevator where she's waving happily that seems like she's mid-screwing the team over or something) but in the end she officially separates from him and sets out on her own (and her own movies!). They've had sort of a break-up / make up vibe going throughout various versions of continuity and I can see that happening here.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not sold on the actress for Enchantress. She was awful in Paper Towns.

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    As you know, Suicide Squad is the only comic book superhero movie scheduled for an August launch, and it is the last stop on the superhero genre line until Dr. Strange. If this movie is not good, we will have to reset our eternal genre optimism clocks ahead to November 4.

20. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I mean, after Civil War, I already am. This is bad?

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's coming out the day before my bday, so it'll obviously be very wonderful.

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Suicide Squad or Dr. Strange?

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Not really. The latest trailer for X-Men: Apocalypse failed to generate any excitement or buzz for the film and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadow might only interest a few amount of the movie going population. Suicide Squad is questionable, but I am optimistic about it. It depends who the Squad will be sent to fight. I've heard two different theories.

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Suicide Squad is DC, right?

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    new international trailer.