main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Suited For Each Other - Red & Dead Drabble Challenge Response

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Eleventh_Guard, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    Title: Suited For Each Other
    Author: Eleventh_Guard
    Characters: Anakin Solo and Mara Jade Skywalker
    Summary: 5 drabbles (100-word ficlets) on 5 linked themes. I chose tarot cards - the 4 suits and the Major Arcana - as the themes.

[b]Drabble 1: Cups[/b]

"Anakin, it's time to come home."

He lifted his head and saw three identical women reaching toward his arm. He started to pull away, but swayed and nearly fell off the barstool. Something grabbed him and steadied him.

"Your mother was worried that you did something foolish," Mara scolded. "Don't do that to her. Don't make her think she's lost both her sons."

"What about me?" he slurred. "The fire haunts me, Aunt Mara. I can't forget it."

She put her arm around him and gave him a few minutes to compose himself before leading him out to the speeder.

[hr]

[b]Drabble 2: Swords[/b]

Saber against saber - first above their heads, then at waist level, and then so far off to the right that he lost his balance. She took advantage of that moment to aim for his chest, forcing him into an awkward swing across his body. It took only a light shove to make him tumble to the mat, and when he was on his back with her lightsaber centimeters from his neck, he had to concede defeat.

"I'll best you some day," Anakin said.

"When you do, then I will consider my teaching to have been a success," Mara replied.

[hr]

[b]Drabble 3: Staves[/b]

The warrior came in fast, but Anakin was faster. He brought up his lightsaber as the Yuuzhan Vong raised his amphistaff and managed to block the strike. Then he saw another charging, and he let go of himself, letting the Force flow through him and move his arms for him.

A third joined the fray, and he felt the beginnings of doubt, but a second glow from slightly behind him reminded him that he was not alone. Strengthened, he fought with everything he had, and together he and Mara were stronger than the sum of both going into battle alone.

[hr]

[b]Drabble 4: Pentacles[/b]

Mara walked into the dining room and saw something small and slimy on the embroidered tablecloth. "What is a pond star doing on the tablecloth?" she asked.

Luke's nephew, Anakin, appeared from behind the kitchen door. "I brought it back for you," he said, his cheeks flushed. "Zekk showed me where to find the stars. It's green like your eyes and I thought you would like it." He looked at the graying mass. "Well, it [i]was[/i] green."

"That was very thoughtful of you," Mara said with a smile, and waited until he brightened and skipped away before grabbing a towel.

[hr]

[b]Drabble 5: Major Arcana[/b]

The wheel of fortune rolled onward for the world, sharing its gifts for some, and spinning forward past others. The light of the setting sun cast its shadows over the boat below, and Anakin watched it from the window of his hotel room in the Mon Cal tower. The Grand Master and the mother of his child - the Emperor and Empress, in a way. He had the strength to withstand the death of a boyhood fantasy, but could never really accept it. Still, she was untouchable, like a high priestess; to think otherwise was the way of the fool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.