Summer 2005 Movie Thread: Discussion and Recommendations

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by Wildstar02301, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm stealing this idea from the Foxboro board. [face_laugh]

Yes, there are movies other than "Revenge of the Sith" out this summer. If I see one other movie this summer, it's probably going to be "The Bad News Bears", an update of the classic 70's baseball comedy which originally starred Walter Matthau. Billy Bob Thornton reprises the Matthau role as Buttermaker, the coach of a Little League team composed of misfits and rejects. I loved the original, so I hope I'm not disappointed with the remake. :)

Any other recommendations?
  2. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well you know, we've had seasonal movie threads on this board for a while now, so it's not really an idea you stole from them. ;)

Batman Begins is another one I'm really looking forward to.
  3. JediMasterKate Jedi Padawan

I want to see Batman Begins, Land of the Dead, Kingdom of Heaven, War of the Worlds, and maybe Revenge of the Sith..... Just kidding!!! hahahaha :eek:
  4. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Definately looking forward to seeing Batman Begins, but I also want to see the Fantastic 4.
  5. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    I really want to see Revenge of the Sith, Hitchhiker's Guide, and Kingdom of Heaven.
  6. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one that wants to see the "Bad News Bears" remake. Casting Thornton for the Buttermaker role is pure genius. If anyone here saw "Bad Santa" his character in that was basically Buttermaker in a Santa suit.

The other "must see" movie for me this summer (besides ROTS) is "Batman Begins". Hopefully this one will wipe the remaining bad taste out of my mouth that the Joel Schumacher films left.
  7. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah it should!
    War of the Worlds should be a no-brainer.
    Fantastic Four will hopefully be decent.
  8. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Fantastic 4 will be good. I'm not sure about the guy that's playing Dr. Doom though. He just doesn't seem like super-villan type. Or maybe it's just me...
  9. JediFonger Jedi Master

star 2
    honestly, other than kingdom of heaven (coming out in 2 days) there aren't any movies that i wouldn't wait to rent. i have a front projector @home, so i'm not missing the big screen =). it's kind of sad because i'm a big movie-buff. i even went to see hitch hiker's guide last weekend, waste of $ =(. i'll probably end up watching ROTS 13 times like i did for phantom menace.
  10. OldjediMasterYoda Jedi Master

star 1
    Huuuuuuuuge Batman fan my comic collection is bordering on obsessive, cant wait for that one finally they got a good Batman/Bruce Wayne

Fantastic Four movie will be great I think also
  11. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    Kingdom of Heaven...
    Orlando Bloom, Orlando Bloom, Orlando Bloom...
  12. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't believe I forgot to mention "Charlie andd the Chocolate Factory". Anytime you get Tim Burton and Johnny Depp in the same room, something good happens.
  13. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    Johnny Depp...Always a good person to have in a movie.
  14. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Speaking of Johnny Depp... I don't know if anyone here has ever seen Finding Neverland but if you haven't it's a great movie! Depp did an excellent job in this movie and it was a very well done story.

Another one I'd like to see is Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Looks like a good action movie, and of course there's the "Angelina Jolie factor" [face_love].
  15. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm a big Angelina Jolie fan too (for different reasons than the guys though :p), so I'm looking forward to Mr. and Mrs. Smith as well.

Has anyone seen Kingdom of Heaven? I've read some pretty bad reviews, just curious what normal people's thoughts were.

I feel like I haven't gone to see a movie in forever. The last two I saw were Constantine and Ring 2. I can't wait to go home and see movies for less than $10. :p
  16. JediFonger Jedi Master

star 2
    i'm hesistant to see KOH in cinema because Ridley Scott has a 3 hour cut that is supposedly much better than the theatrical cut (2 hrs). i may go to KOH in cinema or @home. i dunno yet. i guess i might wait for the extended cut.
  17. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    That's good to know. I probably wasn't going to see it in the theater anyway but this gives me more reason to wait. I generally like director's cuts better than the theatrical editions. I don't like the way they edit movies for time reasons, I think it takes a lot away from the story most of the time. I don't mind sitting down and watching a 3 hour movie in the theater.
  18. JediFonger Jedi Master

star 2
    hey swchic, you coming back to Boston for next school semester? cause if you do come back, i think we can setup a lot of viewing events. for example, Kingdom of Heaven extended edition, when it comes out. i have a front projector =). or star wars. just gotta get people interested.
  19. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, next year will hopefully be my last year at MIT (I'll be a 5th year senior). Not that I'm in a hurry to leave Boston, but I definitely need a change of scenery school-wise. More viewing events sound great! Definitely a good idea. :)
  20. JediFonger Jedi Master

star 2
    plus, you'll missing this:

French actress Eva Green is not too happy with director Ridley Scott for removing most of the raunchy sex scene she had with screen hunk Orlando Bloom in "Kingdom of Heaven" reports Contact Music.

Green plays Bloom's lover Princess Sybilla in the film, but was devastated to discover Scott had deleted "the best bits" because he deemed them too shocking. The film's final sex scene adds up to only 2-3 seconds of footage with no nudity short of a flash of Bloom shirtless.

She says, "It is a pity because we spent so long getting it just right. I didn't know how much had been cut until I went into the studio to record the soundtrack. It was a shock when I found out how much had gone, all of the best bits. But Orlando is sexy and gorgeous. What girl would not want to get naked with him."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050506h.php
  21. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    I can understand how she probably felt, but at the same time, the director was probably trying to cut down on sex scences in the movie so that maybe they could get a pg-13 rating or something like that so that they can get to the viewing audience that would go to those types of movies.
  22. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    The latest installment in the Harry Potter series, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", is out this summer, as well. (Link is to trailer on Apple.com; QuickTime plug-in likely required)
  23. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw a "sneak peek" at the latest Harry Potter movie the other night when HP:SS was on ABC. You would think in a movie about witches and such they could concoct a spell that would keep the kids in the movie immune from puberty ;)

Does anyone know if they're going to continue making HP movies and if so, do they plan on recasting the roles of the kids? They're starting to look a tad old for their roles IMO.
  24. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, if they think of doing all seven, they would eventually have to recast I would think, but for the time being, they could probably whip another couple of movies out of the cast that they have. They could probably figure out a few ways of making the cast look a little younger if need be.
  25. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Would that really be necessary though? I mean, I understand that the difference between the timespan of a movie shoot and the storyline of the books isn't running parallel, and like you said since the actors were cast in their teen years it makes things even harder to keep up with, but isn't the whole series supposed to follow the career of HP through his triumphs and trials as he gets older and closer to becoming a wizard? Does it have to keep them "looking" a certain age?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.