main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Summer 2005 Movie Thread: Discussion and Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Wildstar02301, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    i don't think it's gonna matter. remember back then when the felicity star lied about her age? she was 30 playing teen-20. so age can be relative. heck, back before the 70s you had people like james dean in their 20s, 30s playing teens... somn ridiculous like that. it's about the story.

2. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Does it have to keep them "looking" a certain age?
    In theory they should. Each book is one year at Hogwart's so they're only supposed to age a year between each book.
    But like was said people on TV have been playing younger than their age since (at least) 90210.

3. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    There's a movie version of "The Dukes of Hazzard" out in August. This one has star power, though I didn't recognize the names of the actors portraying Bo and Luke Duke: Jessica Simpson plays Daisy Duke, Burt Reynolds wears Boss Hogg's white suit, and Willie Nelson plays Uncle Jesse. Anyone familiar with the TV series should know the basic plotline of this movie.

4. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    The Dukes of Hazard looks like it will be a fun summer movie to see. Bo and Luke are played by Sean William Scott (American Pie series) and Johnny Knoxville (MTV-Jackass fame). Both are well suited for their roles in this movie, even better is the fact that they have Jessica Simpson playing Daisy Duke [face_love] =P~.

5. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Dukes of Hazzard looks like it would be a fun movie to see although I doubt I'll be able to justify paying $10 to see it. Like last years Starsky & Hutch, this has DVD rental written all over it.

Johnny Knoxville as a Duke boy is some pretty good casting though :).

6. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    regarding harry potter. if they shot all of the remaining books (4-6) ALL AT THE SAME TIME they would save money, have the actors/actresses at the age they would need them and it would all come out all in good time =). but i think it's really 5 and 6 left now. i think they can do 5-6 easily.

7. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I think that that's how they have been doing it, filming one right after the other then doing the post-production as the film becomes available. That's what Peter Jackson did with the LotR trilogy and it worked out great for him. He was able to retain all of the original actors without holding them down for a long period of time.

8. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    it's a bit different between HP & LOTR. HP is filming ONE movie at a time continuously. Meaning if they're shooting Azkaban, that's all they're shooting. Then they go on to the next and that's all they're gonna be shooting. One at a time. For LOTR, they shot all 3 at the same exact time. For example, one of the first days they shot footages for Return of the King while shooting first footages of Fellowship of the Ring.

9. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I went and saw Fantastic 4 the other day and I must say that I was very satisfied. I thought that the casting of Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm were dead on, the way they wrote the story to evolve around the disfunction relationship of the four was good and the special effects were great (as expected). One difference about the Fantastic 4 that I like, as opposed to other superheros, is that the don't rely on a secret identity. They never really had a chance to keep their powers a secret and that makes things move a little more free through the movie (IMO).

Next up for me is either going to be Wedding Crashers or Batman-Begins.

10. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    I saw Batman Begins about a week ago, it was good, shows how Bruce Wayne became Batman and some of his training.

11. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    i just saw batman begins and charlie+chocolate factory yesterday. i was disappointed with batman begins.

charlie was huge surprise! it was very entertaining. while none of the kid actors stood out, johnny depp made the character his.

12. YodaChick

YodaChick Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    well i saw finding neverland and it was great. i am a huge johnny depp fan and i can hardly wait to see charlie and the choc. factory. (he was also awesome in Chocolat). also itching to see batman begins and the fantastic four on the big screen. saw war of the worlds. definitely not a disappointment. mr and mrs smith looks good but i am waiting for rental on that one. eric saw fantastic four already and said it wasnt as good as he expected. i still want to see it though. skipping ahead a bit, i am psyched for the chronicles of narnia to be coming in december! other must sees.....Herbie, Wedding Crashers(on rental), Stealth and maybe Dukes of Hazzard...i just loved that show growing up, more for the hot rods than the hot bods ; ).....

13. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm going to try and sneak out with my dad to see Batman this week at the IMAX in Reading. Besides that I want to go see Wedding Crashers this weekend with my wife, I just keep hearing great things about this movie!

I also saw Finding Neverland and Johnny Depp was very good in that role, he really is a great actor. Wonka looks pretty good too. My son has never seen the original so we might take him to go see this one.

14. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    i hope to see the island this weekend. if anything, it ought to be a big action-fest =). can't get 'nuff of action movies as mindless as they are.

15. Jedimapper

Jedimapper Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2005
    New here, so might as well start with a post...

Anyone planning on seing The Island? I have not seen any reviews yet, but the trailers caught my attention ...

16. YodaChick

YodaChick Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    the island definitely looks good. oh i wish it would rain. i am melting!

17. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    why, HELLO THERE!

i'm planning to see it friday or saturday sometime. i'm not too sure, maybe friday night cause i gotta do tons of hw on saturday.

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Looks good but I think that'll be a rental for me. So many other movies out right now (and more to come) that I want to see that rank higher up the list for me.

Another good one coming out that I caught a preview of was "Stealth". Haven't seen much of Jamie Foxx since "Ray" or of Jessica Beil since "Blade-Trinity".

19. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    First trip to the movies since RotS this past weekend

War of the Worlds - Amazing effects, some absolutely beautiful camera work (love the train!). Two points in the film I was scratching my head but not really breakers. Overall: 8/10

Batman Begins - A good start to revive the franchise. Love the whole theme of fear. Villians were great but not overpowering. Bale was good, but not so much as Batman. Something just didn't look right..maybe it was the mask's nose? Batman gets an A+ for his collateral damage to the city to save it. Overall: 6.5/10

Madagascar (yeah I know it came out awhile back!) - Cute, funny, some good adult-aimed jokes, about average for a CG animated flick. Not much of a plot, IMO. Overall: 6/10

Looking forward to The Island!

20. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    which 2 points dex?

i thought WoW was pretty bad. none of the characters change by the end of the film. anyway, i think some of the finer points from the book that people didn't really get were that aliens took earth because it is 2/3 water. the aliens lacked water (hence the one slurping from the pipe). when the aliens used the heat-rays on people they literally evaporated all the water in the human body, hence the powdery residue/ash and clothing. when the tripods spread the red veins, they were the means by which water is absorbed. when the tripods were feeding off of the humans they were drinking their water. it's all about water, one of the rarest resources in the universe. i liked how spielberg didn't exposit this idea via dialogue or words. he just showed it. it's very foreign film-style. it's similar to what Lucas did with THX1138 in terms of style. they show but don't tell.

i didn't like batman begins because it was by the #. we know what's going to happen (like titanic&episode3) so there aren't any surprises. he just has to go through the motions. i felt that there were two separate threads of stories nolan was trying to tie together. one a character piece involving bruce wayne and the other involving batman in an action film. it felt like warner brothers giving nolan a laundry list of things to checklist. batcape, check, batmask, check. batmobile, check. and so forth and so on. not much creativity and in the long term, not a classic like burton's batman.

haven't seen madagascar yet. i wait for rental on those CG flicks.

21. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    #1: The Indy run thru the city streets as people were gettintg zapped all around him. Myabe he had some kinda camo-coat so the aliens couldn't see him?

#2: When he goes outside after the probe-eye in the basement scene...where is the tripod?? Do the eye stalks really get so long you couldn't see the tripod?

22. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    1. movie-magic =). this is like asking, why does millennium falcon keep failing to jump to hyper space? because it increases dramatic tension. it's an old trick.

2. i'm not sure i know which scene you are referring to. the eyes are attached the tripod that eventually captures cruise+daughter.

23. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    1 - I know :) But at least the Falcon is old and held together with spit.

2 - When Cruise goes outside, right after the stalk leaves. You can't see the tripod anywhere. Was it hiding, waiting for him and had a go-go gadget eye?

24. PadmeSusyQ

PadmeSusyQ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    The eyeball in the basement bothered me too. I mean, these aliens show up with all their technology and their probe doesn't have a heat sync on it and gets fooled by a mirror????

Outside of that one impossible to believe scene, I thought it was a good summer blockbuster stuff explodes and it kinda scares you kinda movie.

25. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    This is a bit late, but welcome to the board, Jedimapper. We hope you will be able to make it to a meet soon. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.