main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Summer 2006 Role Playing Forum Awards: WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by LightSide_Apprentice, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Is it allowed for that to win both categories (not asking about likelihood or anything), because it seems a little unfair for the same game to take two awards, especially with all the safeguards against consecutive victories. Just asking.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Although I cannot be nominated, thank you for those mentions, Mort, LDU! :)

3. LeiaHair

LeiaHair Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    Aww, thank's LDU... I have to say... Marion was almost to the point of soiling her britches.... and that's pretty bad. Of course, it's also a refection on your RPG skills as well... you gave me great stuff to go off of.

4. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I also think it is a bit unfair that it keeps getting into the Best New Game catergory on a loophole, the 007 game is far from being new. Heck that line of games already won "Best New Game" twice, how does it keep the status of a new game when it is obviously a continuing series?

5. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Hmmm....

This is a most interesting dilemma...

On one hand, is the category not "Best New Game?"

In this case, with new first posts, the game is indeed new.... different from any other set up...

However, the franchise is considerable, and as Nemmy said, it has won twice before for new game...

The issue becomes then, what defines a game?

Is it defined by its story (which would make the 007 series one game), or the presence of a new first post (which would make it four)?

It is akin to if ANH / Empire / and Jedi are one movie, broken up into three.... or three movies as a whole?

I shall be most interested in how this issue is solved, as it will affect all series based game....

-I_H

6. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    The only thing new about 007 to me is the thread, the game itself is not new. If that is considered new, then the Sith Trials: Sith Wars Saga is also new, as is Balance of Power: Revisited and Revamped (and yes it is just below the 3 month old rule ;)). We all know those arn't new games, and it is unfair that a game could easily take advantage of that loophole by just creating a new version of the game just before the awards.

7. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Just for the record, I don't keep starting new games just to get nominated for the "New Game" category. I start a new game because it's a whole new story...only we're using the same (and some new) characters and the same "crime-fighting organization". Like I_H mentioned, it's like the Star Wars trilogy: One BIG story broken up into separate films.

I'll stay out of the issue considering it's my games that are in question. Whatever you guys decide is fine with me.

8. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    A game will not be permitted to win two awards in one season, just as members cannot win dual awards. Although some games probably deserve the recognition in more than one category (just as players do) the purpose of these awards is to encourage an open community, which offers a chance to up-and-coming players and games, as well as newly established and [seemingly] struggling contestants.

In the event that a game such as the Dr Noah - 007 attains enough votes to lead in two categories, an award will be granted for only one of those two categories.

For those who are curious about sequal games winning awards in the best new game category, the simple answer is yes you may win, and qualify, if you attain enough votes.

No doubt some people will be curious as to why this is the case. *glances at Imperial Hammer* The reasoning is as follows: A new game is a new game when it sufficiently qualifies for such a definition.

The 007 games offer a new story in each edition (regardless of whether that story contributes a small or large part to an established and growing saga), they are open to new players and characters (as well as continuing ones), they are as separate as the [i]Star Wars[/i] and [i]James Bond[/i] films themselves - all of which could reasonably have a game based on each episode - and they are set apart as a new game in their operation being conducted in a new thread. There may, of course, be further reasons to support this case, but these are sufficient at present.[/color]

9. Eme-ma_Himou

Eme-ma_Himou Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2004

10. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    Unfortunately, a new installment for the same game is not a new game. Galaxy at War, like the epic classic War of the Galaxies, and the more recent Integrated Balance of Power were/are designed to be single games, with a single, ongoing story. The main reason they have been divided into parts is because an ongoing game or story without structure is unwieldy. They have not been re-issued as new games with new stories, or new beginnings.

NOTE: Any further questions or comments concerning debate over what is or isn't allowed (particularly with regards to interpretation of the awards and who or what does or does not qualify for certain things) should be directed via Private Message to a Moderator. I'm more than happy to answer any and all questions, as I'm sure NaboosPrincess is herself. This thread, however, is designed for the purposes of the awards, and not an ongoing debate, so please help us to keep on topic and nominate, and/or tell your friends to do the same! ;)

11. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Edit: Sorry, just read LSA's previous post. Debate removed and PM'd.

12. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    It seems I may have misrepresented the way new games work. My esteemed colleague Imperial Hammer has reminded me of the terms that qualify a game as new. So, for something more concrete and less interpretive than my earlier words I draw your attention to the following:

New RPGs are defined as any active game less than three (3) months old, residing in only one (1) thread (ie, multi-thread games are not eligible for this category). RPGs must be active (ie, no locked threads may be nominated).

I guess there's no need to explain anything - Galaxy at War, if created within the last three months qualifies.

Many thanks to those whose wisdom we look toward for guidance.

13. ArgenPalos

ArgenPalos Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2004
    Unfortunately, the current installment of Galaxy at War (the Third) is over a year old so it may not be nominated for BEST New RPG.

However, it's good to know for future reference.

14. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    Another nomination:

Best RPer: JANGOANTILLES

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ooh, I'm torn.

Two candidates for best Roleplayer: the Holonet interviewee, Mortimer_Nerdly for the CIS on Galaxy at War; and Ptolemy7 for Sir Galahad on Exiles.

I haven't played much this quarter, so my exposure to players, quality or otherwise, has been limited.

Best GM - pashatemur. No contest. Passionate, dedicated, imaginative, encouraging, supportive.

16. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Ah, coming in so late I have so little to choose from in way of nominations. Suffice to say that there is not somebody inside Galaxy at War that does not deserve an award. We've a fine player base, some of the best skilled players and a plot line to make the EU look like a kiddie book. It's a fantastic group that I feel privileged to play with everytime as they bring in many original characters, establish and revive canon characters to tellings that are unsurpassed, or introduce other views by way of non-star wars characters in an amazing coherant "What if" story.

My votes:

Best Game Master ? Certainly this goes to Pashatemur ? there is nobody that can come close to surpassing her knowledge, her interest, her love for her fellow players, her character driven storylines ? Yes indeed. The best roleplayer makes the best GM. She is nothing short of amazing as anything that she has played as.

Best Role Player ? My two votes, Pashatemur for the reasons above. She nothing short of jaw-dropping in every post and moment.
    - Second, Jerjerrod-Lennox, one of my favorite Imperials and a charged woman in character.

Best Role Playing Game
    My noms have already been nominated. GAW and War of the Sith get it, hands down. Amazing people.

17. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Best RPer: dragonsith13
    Best GM: Already nominated
    Best Game: Archangels and Alchemists (this game is only on hold...so, I didn't know if I was able to nominate it or not)
    Best New Game: +The Sith Wars Saga: Sith Trials II+

18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    don't really have any nom's that haven't been done.

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002

In the absence again of any Star Awards, here is my 'Mentioned in Despatches' post for the quarter.

Active beyond the call - Kalio_Dynkos for his Holonet project.

Best Fleet RP-ing Newcomer - pashetemur debuted as a Star Destroyer captain and vessel during an engagement a couple weeks back, and although she doubts her abilities there, I was well impressed with her efforts.

Wikipedia Personified - Jocasta Nu without the 'tude, Lightwarden cannot be beaten for that first stop information resource! He absolutely rocks! :D

Most Considerate RP-ers - pashatemur, Nefertiti, Imperial_Hammer.

...yeah, I'm done.

Oops, another actual Best RP-er nomination! ArgenPalos for his portrayal of Biggs Darklighter and that canon character's rise through the Rebellion, including Fleet stuff, on Galaxy at War III.

20. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Best RPer: Darth-Vassago

21. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    A pretty complete sweep by my standards...

Just to drop some more names of folks worthy but not nommed yet...

Best GM: LSA
    Best RPer: LSA
    Best Game: Trials II
    Best New Game: The Real House/Soccer Wives/Men/Kids of the Orange County- A Romance RP!

-I_H

22. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    AWARD NOMINEES

Best Role Player

ArgenPalos
    BartSimpson_SithLord
    darth_nemisis
    Darth-Vassago
    dragonsith13
    HanSolo29
    HunterPrime
    JANGOANTILLES
    Jerjerrod-Lennox
    Kalio_Dynkos
    Master-Korr
    master-of-les-pauls
    Mortimer_Nerdly
    Ominous
    Pashatemur
    Ptolemy7
    RogueAce
    SephyCloneNo15
    sithstarslayer
    YoungAngus

Best Game Master

Darth-Vassago
    Dubya_Scott
    MASTER-OF-EVIL
    Pashatamur

Best Game

+The Sith Wars Saga: Sith Trials II+
    Archangels and Alchemists
    Dr. Noah (Star Wars, 007-Style)
    Galaxy At War: Schism of the Sith
    Operation Overlord
    Podracer: Life in the Fast Lane
    The War of the Sith : Beginning of the War
    Xavier's Insitute for Higher Leraning: Path of Heros's

Best New Game

+The Sith Wars Saga: Sith Trials II+
    Dr. Noah
    Pirates of the Carribean III: At Worlds End
    The Real House/Soccer Wives/Men/Kids of the Orange County- A Romance RP!
    The Return to Blood Gulch: Red Vs. Blue
    WWE roleplay

[u][b]ROUND TWO: LET THE VOTING BEGIN!![/b][/u]

Reminder Instructions: A list of all the nominees has been compiled (above) for members' pursuit. Members will have seven (7) days to PM their votes from the choices to the host. Users will have the option of voting for up to three (3) people in the Best RPer and best GM categories, and up to two (2) games in the Games categories.

Voting closes on Friday 21st July 3am (which is technically Saturday morning).

23. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    Wow...this'll be the first awards since I started playing that I didn't land a nomination.

I guess I'll have to keep ontop of my posting this quarter.

24. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    Plenty of "Best RPers" to choose from...not much for "Best GM" though. I guess that means my chances of winner are better. [face_dancing] :p

25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    not much for "Best GM" though.

Well, once you get past I_H and I, the pool is pretty thin. And I mean we can't win for another year so... Oh well, everybody already knows we are the best.

^^^That was a joke by the way. Mostly the part about me. Everybody will agree that Hammer is an RPing wildabeast. And yes, that is a compliment..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.