main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Summer Box Office

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, May 19, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You care.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Because in this brave new world, the A-lister from your childhood is now the C-lister. So much so that the box office impact made by the love letter to the Donner Superman and the newer, grittier version laced with needless ultra-violence and destruction was less than expected. One could argue that the quality of both films was subpar (rightly so), that Hollywood just doesn't "get" Superman (also correct) or that modern mainstream audiences simply don't care that much for the old fashioned demigod in red and blue. And when the competition's old-fashioned, non-superpowered champion of truth, justice and the 'Murkan way is far more successful in his sequel and as a member of an ensemble team, then I say DC/WB has a major problem with the way they market one of their flagship characters.

But of course, Batman IS their flagship character; Supes and the rest being his bitches and all...

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Shorts fired!!! SHOTS FIRED!!!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Invid isn't a hater, though. Let's phrase it like this - if a great Superman film came out, I think Invid would walk out of the theater and say "Wow, that was pretty good." I think you would say, "It was pretty good, but they'll always have Man of Steel."

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Why would I do that? :p

I don't harp on Superman IV: The Quest for Peace or Batman and Robin. I just want good versions of the A-list heroes I like.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The larger context is that the building general audience boredom with comic book superhero movies is starting to show.

GOTG is the only comic book super hero movie of the year that has a shot at $300 million domestic - the rest have ranged from about $260 million for CA2 down to just over $200 million for S-M 5.

Last year it was $409 million for IM3 ranging down to $206 for Thor, with MOS being in the middle with nearly $300.

This coincides with a general downturn in summer box office - but I think you can easily argue that part of what is driving audiences away is this ceaseless drumbeat of mediocre comic book movies, each one exactly like the last one.

EHT likes this.
  8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    ...except GOTG. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't see how you can argue that GOTG is noticeably different than any of the other recent mediocre comic book movies. Is it funnier/more irreverent than Iron Man? Is the villain more interesting than whatever/whoever the villain was in the CA movies? Is the plot less predictably revolving around some kind of supernaturally potent device?

It has a few cosmetic/superficial novelties that maybe boosted the box office by $50 million domestically relative to Thor and CA and Spider-Man - but those differences aren't helping at the global box office. It's a completely cookie cutter, sanitized disney-industrial experience. unremarkable in every respect.

EHT likes this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did you see it in 3D?

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It has a machine gun toting raccoon. It's different.

12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I think so. Did that make it better or worse?

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No idea, I saw it in 2D only.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Mang, like, let go of your hatred, y'know?

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    What hatred? I never said I hated Guardians. It's a passable, average big budget movie, like most of the Disney Marvel movies. It's much better than the legitimately awful Man of Steel.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Of the genre. It is the now. It is the future. Embrace it!

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I don't know that I agree that comic book burnout has set in just yet. Three of the top six grossing films of the year have been comic book/superhero based, and they weren't just products of the Hollywood hype machine. Critics and audiences genuinely loved them. In fact, three of the four of this year's big comic book releases were far better received than those of '13. TASM being the lone exception. If anything, I consider '14 a bit of a bounce-back year for the genre.

Now, is a burnout coming? For sure. It's inevitable, no matter how consistent the quality is. But as of right now I'd say it's still at its apex. Just my two cents.

Sarge likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think it's more ASM2 being probably horrible?

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Kidding aside, I agree. These things are cyclical after all. Comics books seem to be the last font of ideas for Tinseltown...but that spring is drying up fast and not all of those properties are lucrative enough or filmable (i.e., Watchmen). Once this bubble bursts, I honestly don't know what the studios will do to fill seats during the summer.

Regardless of the genre, the world has changed so much in the past few years that the summer blockbuster could now be deemed an endangered species. The ****** economy, the spread of piracy and the proliferation of cheaper entertainment both on tv, the internet and other outlets has definitely made many a former avid theater-goer to instead just stay home. After all, it's ridiculously cheaper to spend $8.00 a month to binge watch hundreds of tv shows and movies on Netflix than it it is to just buy one ticket to see one movie in a theater. And if streaming is not your thing, you can always wait a few months and just rent the summer blockbuster you skipped at a fraction of the cost of a ticket either at a Redbox booth or your online service of choice.

Really, when all is said and done, no man in tights will be able to save the blockbuster (and by consequence, the studio system that pushes it) from its inevitable demise.

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999

Top five movies of the year so far in 2014 have earned $1.25 billion less than the top five movies of 2013. Hunger Games and Hobbit will make up some of the difference, but the clear underperformers this year relative to last year are the comic book superhero movies.

EHT likes this.
  21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    There are only so many YA novel properties worth mining. And it's too damn bad J.R.R. Tolkien didn't write a sequel to LOTR...since that means that, inevitably, someone will if only to make a three movie package out of every book in said sequel. [face_plain]

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Sequels have a lot to do with the problem. That's why I've taken refuge in small movies to get at original content. Comic book movies are so formulaic however that every property is already a sequel even before the first movie gets made.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Um, you have read comics, right? "Formulaic" is par for the course there.

24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Wasn't 2014 already forecast to be a less than stellar box office year or at least summer, with lots of big movies anticipated for summer 2015 (before some of those got moved)?

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'd like to see a quote from the major movie studios where they explain how they'd planned for 2014 to be a poor year at the box office.