main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Summer Events and planning-Picnic and Hike

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Alakin_Marshwalker, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Hello everyone. This thread is for everyone to plan whatever events they would like to see this summer. We are going to try to have 2 default events a month. One the official business meeting and the other just a general get together. It is strongly encouraged that people plan stuff around their own interests and schedules however. Feel like hosting and organising a video game tournament or an anime marathon, this is the place to get started!

I will edit this post to include dates, details and locations of events as they are finalised. Have fun this summer everyone.

Picnic and Hike - Monday, August 2 - Thetis Lake - 10:30am

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Hey! Canada Day is coming: anyone wanna do the parade? Or a BBQ? We'd need a place we could all get together for that, and then a place to have the food and stuff... any volunteers?

*Derisa*

3. Sionnach_Dearg

Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    Unfortunately I'm unavailable (yet again) for Canada day. We have guests coming up from the states and are taking them up to the cabin on that very day.

Send out happy thoughts for me trying to get across on the ferries, I think we already have our prebooking -_-;;;

4. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    My suggestion is to go with picnic type foods and meet in a park or something. No need for someone to volunteer their home and easier food prep.

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Excellent suggestion. There's a parade in Sidney: does anyone feel like going? I was thinking of taking my boys, I'd love company!

*Derisa*

6. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    I had briefly forgotten the annual Drag Ball game on Canada Day. It starts at noon so if we don't want to meet there I would appreciate making the picnic an early dinner kind of thing.

7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    I really wouldn't mind attending this year: it sounded like fun last time... It's a Thursday though, and I do have to do my usual Thursday chores...

*Derisa*

8. C4-One25

C4-One25 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    End the oppression

9. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Wiosh I could, C4, but the horses still need to be fed. :)

Does this mean you're in?

*Derisa*

10. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    Nope...I'm not in.

this time, I've got lots of notice, but I'm choosing not to attend.

11. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, alrighty then. :) So do you wanna come to the picnic that evening?

*Derisa*

12. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    *directs Derisa to look up*

:p

13. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Let's make a day of it: picnic during the day, perhaps in one of the side parks close to the softball game. Those who want to check out the softball game can do so, while those who don't can munch in the shade or work on their tan or whatever.

Later we can BBQ at our house on our brand-new balcony (yay!), and then if people feel like it we can pile into the Centennial Falcon around 9pm or so and drive to watch the fireworks from a prearranged location where others who didn't want to BBQ can join us if they like.

After that, who knows?

Thoughts?

14. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    SOunds great! I'll be running off between 4:30 and 6:30 to feed the ponies, but I'm game for all of that! :)

*Derisa*

15. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Let's finalize some plans here. Thursday is 2 days away. Drag Ball starts at noon on July 1st at Topaz Park which is just behind Mayfair Mall. Decide what we are doing for food/bbq/picnic or whatever and I can edit the front post to reflect that.

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Okay, well, I wanna do lunch ish first, so let's show up and snag good seats early (is there an 'early' for this event?)

I'll bring the jello!

Where do we wanna BBQ it taht evening? Public locale or private? (Like I said I gotta do some work, but I can do paddocks early and then break for the feed between 4:30 and 6:30.)

I believe Rani is willing to host the BBQ, as she now has a balocny again (without railings, but that may have changed by Thursday).

I'll bake a cake for the BBQ itself. :)

*Derisa*

17. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Yep, we can show up whenever. 11:30 is probably early enough to nab seats. I can bring some buns and cold cuts for picnic food. If Rani would be so kind as to give a time for the BBQ portion of the day, that would be lovely. Also something for me to bring food wise to that.

18. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Paul and I will bring potato and green salads for the picnic, as well as a dressing or two. We'll also bring disposable plates, cups, and cutlery, so people aren't carting around that sort of thing with them.

We'll provide same for the BBQ, plus garlic bread and the previously mentioned plates, cups, etc. Let's have the BBQ around 6:00? People can start showing up anytime after we leave the game, let's say 2:00.

We should make the BBQ bring your own meat, BYOB, don't you think?

Where should we view the fireworks? Esquimalt? Vic West? Inner Harbour Causeway? Mount Tolmie? Anyone have a dingy we can all climb into? :)

- Rani

19. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Posted times and plans in the first post. Any changes need to be made?

20. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Nope, looks good, Alakin! (I'm baking the cake and making the jello today). See you then!

*Derisa*

21. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    The dragball was entertaining, but it made me want to play Cherry. Anyone got a bat and a ball? Gloves? Anything? (Gods, we are geeks, aren't we?)It was kinda cool seeing Mike and Jen there, though, as well as the other Merrittians.

Food-wise: Rani's potato salad was very tasty: I had seconds and thirds! The parfait was a bit runny, but tasty nonetheless. (Next time I'll make the vanilla pudding from scratch, instead of relying on Jello.)

At the BBQ: Paul made us up some very nice steaks, and even grilled some corn: yummers! The cake was delicious, not too sweet and just chocaltey enough: there's tonnes left over, if anyone wants to drop by for some tomorrow-ish!

We need to schedule a business meeting really soon: how is next Sunday for everyone? (That's the 10th, I believe.) Things to go over: logos, recruiting, upcoming event plans, especially the DVD release stuff we'll be doing... Any and all are welcome to attend: the more the merrier. Details will be posted here as soon as we have a finalised date and time.

Have a Happy Canada Night!

*Derisa*

22. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    So... meeting date and time? My reccomendation is Sunday the 11, and let's do it as a late lunch: say 1pm? Alzu's?

Suggestions only: need more input as to if folks can make the time and location!

*Derisa*

23. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm good with the date, time, and location. Alzu's has an outdoor eating area, so it's a good suggestion.

If a third agrees, we'll make it official. Derisa, when that happens, we'll need you to start contacting all the members who don't post here often, if you would, please.

- Rani

24. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    BAH!

I'm out....*shrugs*....doesnt matter really. I'll do the walk of shame and step aside.

25. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    I'd be happy too as soon as we have that third. :)

*Derisa*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.