main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Jersey Summer Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by BellaSabrina, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    So, it's officially Summer Movie time. The only movie that is actually considered a Summer Movie that I got to see so far was Harry Potter 3. I LOVED it.

What are you guys planning to see, and what have you seen?

2. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I'm so far behind on seeing all of the summer movies. I'm seeing Troy and Shrek 2 this week...finally. I plan on seeing Spidey 2, King Arthur (Keira Knightley = [face_love] ) and Bourne Supremecy when they come out.

3. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm taking June 30th off for two reasons:

1. To see Spidey during the day
    2. MOVIES IN THE PARK!!

I also plan on seeing Bourne Supremacy since I saw/read Bourne Identity.

4. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Saw Troy, Shrek and Potter.

Going to see Spiderman and The Village

5. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I have absolutely no desire to see any movie until Episode III. Nothing is really jumping out at me.

6. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    I second Mike's post.

7. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    HP3 was a great movie. Shrek 2 another great sequel, haven't had a chance to catch Troy yet

Some decent movies coming out i think.
    Alien vs predator, I Robot, Dodgeball, Spiderman 2 just off the top of my head. =P

8. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Spiderman 2. No doubt.

HP3 kept my attention and was done well. Always a pleasure to see Gary Oldman act.

Waiting to see whatelse comes out.

~DG~

9. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Can't wait till Goblet of Fire (HP4) is out. Hopefully they keep Gary Oldman as Sirius Black.....because that means more Gary Oldman for two more HP movies :) Goblet was the best book so far, so the movie is going to KICK butt.

My boss asked me if I took June 30th off for SpiderMan2. I told him that's part of it ;)

10. asajj_temptress

asajj_temptress Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2003
    I saw HP3 this weekend and I loved it! I thought it was the best out of the 3 movies so far. I saw Shrek 2 when it came out and it was alright. I think that the first one was a little funnier. I can't wait to see Spiderman 2(June 30) and The Village(July 30). Robot, I comes out sometime soon and that looks pretty interesting.

11. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    There was a news story on the IMdB that mentioned the possibility of John Malkovich playing Voldemort and as much as I can understand why, it would step outside the necessary british feel of the series, IMHO.

And now, allow me to open the floodgates... :)

A word of warning about the Alien vs. Predator movie: it's being directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, who made the REALLY BAD movie versions of "Mortal Kombat" and "Resident Evil". It's also being released in August, which as far as the summer release formula goes is reserved for films that are expected to do less than spectacular business. Further, aside from Lance Henriksen and Sanaa Lathan, the entire cast is made up of unknowns. In short, I fear for what they will do to a long-awaited matchup once it hits the screens...and if they throw in horribly unnecessary techno music for the fight scenes(as they did in "Kombat" and "Evil"), don't say you weren't warned!

That being said, I too am looking forward to Spiderman 2(even though one of the more recent theatrical trailers is actually one big spoiler!) and have yet to go back to Hogwarts, so to speak(a problem that will be swiftly remedied). I was a bit ticked off that the guy behind ID4 would have the stones to release a global warming film("The Day After Tomorrow") in a post-9/11 climate(no matter, though...it couldn't unseat "Shrek 2", which is another on my "to see" list)...I'd like to take a look at the original "Bourne Identity" before seeing "Supremacy"(being a continuity freak and all :) )...I'm curious to see how different "Stepford Wives" is compared to the original movie, and I won't bother trying to see "Van Helsing" until it hits the small screen(aka DVD). Its concept is insulting enough.

"Riddick" seems to be going in a weird direction given that it's a sequel to the nicely-done "Pitch Black". It seems like it may be making the mistake "Alien 3" did: it wants to become a sci-fi flick by way of "Masterpiece Theatre"(or so it seems given the casting of Dame Judi Dench). Will we see those light-sensitive meanies in the sequel? I doubt it. Can anyone say Vin Diesel exploitation vehicle? Ah know you can. :) Can the same be said for the magic-deficient adaptation of "King Arthur", with its seeming focus on Guinevere and the apparent success of actress Keira Knightley? I'll always distrust a film that lays its focus on a name actor/actress rather than equal amounts of name actors, great FX and...above all...a good STORY. Think of how all that stunt casting and FX flash couldn't save "Batman and Robin" from being the success it could have been had it not used a script written by an apparent hack screenwriter.

Of course, I could be wrong, which is why I'll probably check out "King Arthur" anyway.

As for "I, Robot", the trailers seem to indicate that this is going to be less of a wisecrack-laden Will Smith than what we've seen him do in ID4 and the "Men In Black" films. It's been said that Smith does good work when he plays it straight(as was demonstrated in the film version of a play called "Six Degrees of Separation"), but there's also a lot of wild FX going on here. Let's hope that doesn't drown out any semblance of story!

OY, I could go on for hours, but work beckons. L8R! :)

- Johnny

12. XenoSphere

XenoSphere Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    The Chronicles Of Riddick & THX 1138 Director's Cut are probably the only 2 movies I will see. I might also see Shrek 2.

13. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I will never go see Riddick. Why? Because Pitch Black was AWFUL.

Although I love Vin Diesel, I'll just watch my DVD of Fast & Furious & XXX.

14. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    I'm stumped why people expect masterpieces from a movie based on a video game, cartoon or tv show. :p
    I actually liked MK, it was loads better than Street Fighter or Mario Bros. lol!
    Anywho, AvP will hopefully at the very least not suck.
    But the one movei I am dying for (which was recently pushed back :() is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. The trailer alone has left my jaw on the floor with rivers of drool running rampant.

15. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I don't know if I can sit through that movie knowing it was all shot on a blue screen. Jude Law is reason enough to go, but I haven't seen ONE trailer for it.

Saved! opens this week. I wish I had the time to go this weekend!

16. johnny_nod

Dec 31, 2003
    http://www.apple.com

If you have Quicktime(now available with the free ITunes download package, which is so-so), just click on the Movie Trailers area of the site. A Trailer for "Sky Captain" is there, along with a great many others(I recommend watching the one for "The Incredibles", which is due in November).

My own take on "Sky Captain" is that any throwback to the golden age of comics is always welcome...but from what I've seen of the trailer, I dunno. It just seems...blah.

Daring hero? Check. Damsel in distress? Check. Cheeky rival? Check. Flashy villain?

Uh...flashy villain?

H'lo? :)

Yeah, yeah, I know...all those menacing robots with the tentacles, but they've gotta have a leader, no?

As Queen Padme' said at the end of her first transmission in Episode I: "We'll see." :)

- Johnny

(PS: Saved!, on the other hand, looks REALLY interesting!)

17. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    This may be what Mandy Moore needs to prove her acting abilities...... ;)

18. johnny_nod

Dec 31, 2003
    Whereas Faith Hill will be putting her thespian talents(if any) to the test in "Stepford Wives". :)

- Johnny

19. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    That should be INTERESTING!!! I love her music, but I don't know if she can act.

20. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Ok I loved POA but I have a weird detail oriented question for the people who've read the Potter books as well. Since we got to see the seeker for Hufflepuff for about two seconds...do you think that it was Cedric Diggory? Or someone else?

Oh and to not totally derail this thread...I saw Troy so far this summer, Young Adam (weird Ewan Mcgregor indie film), and Van Helsing (which was the worst movie EVER).

21. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I read that as I love GOA and got all excited.

EDIT: Swearing is against the TOS

22. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I don't know, because they never introduced him as Cedric Diggory. I'm kinda HOPING it was, because that's the third thing they'd have left out of the movie.

23. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Ok well I looked it up on Mugglenet.com and apparently they've cast someone else as Cedric for Goblet of Fire. Although I guess you could say it was him in this movie since that's the only thing that makes sense.

24. XenoSphere

XenoSphere Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    So far I have seen The Chronicles Of Riddick, Shrek 2 and The Notebook. I think the only other movie I will see is AvP.

Always a pleasure to see Gary Oldman act.

Well, you might be 'hearing' him soon(Hint: Ep 3). :d

25. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    Shrek 2 and Dodgeball are both great.

Spiderman 2 and Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle .

I am looking forward to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.