Summer Movies at the Science Center

Discussion in 'Louisville, KY' started by jedimika, Jun 30, 2014.

1. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    This Summer, in addition to the normal educational films the Kentucky Science Center (downtown Louisville) will be using their big IMAX screen to show some Hollywood style movies and it looks like the have a particularly geeky line up. Back to the Future is finishing up now and then Raiders of the Lost Ark starts July 4, followed by Jurassic Park July 18 and ending with Princess Bride starting on August 1. Bad news is they only have a late show (7PM) on Friday and Saturdays. Otherwise it plays at 12:45 each day.
    http://kysciencecenter.org/info-and-events/

It's short notice but Mrs jedimika and I are both off this holiday weekend so we're planning on going to see Raiders on Sunday the 6th at 12:45 if anyone else is interested. If she's not too embarrassed to be seen with me I'll probably pull out the Indiana Jones costume for yucks. If seeing any of these other movies on the big big screen appeals to you we can probably get a group together. Post up your interest. I'm interested in both Jurassic Park and (especially) Princess Bride.
  2. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    that sounds like a lot of fun, and I love Raiders, but I will be at the lake that day.
  3. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    but Princess Bride might be doable
  4. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    I"d love to go also, but there is something about viewing the IMAX that causes me to become nauseated. I hates it I does. I'll let Appo know about this as he might be able to join you guys.

On my part, thank you for the invite Mika. I wish I could join you all, but you all have a great time. And any opportunity to wear your Indi... go for it. [face_dancing]
  5. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    The wife and I went and it was a good time. I didn't costume up because I thought we might go somewhere for lunch after (we did...Proof on Main) and I wasn't expecting a big turnout on a Sunday afternoon. Turns out I was wrong. There were about 25-30 show up and I even saw a couple of Indiana Jones fan Tshirts in the group so my costume would have been a hit. The movie itself isn't in IMAX but they show it on the big 4 story IMAX screen. The theater is pretty big but only the top rows are any good, if you sit in the front you'll be craning your neck the whole time. Everyone there sat in the top 3 rows. It was really nice to see Raiders on the big screen again and it was a really good crowd given that they could have just stayed at home and watched it on Spike.
  6. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    So, I am confused about the film format.
    It is on the rounded, IMAX screen-- but in the traditional 16:4 rectangle?
    Did the image look cool, or like a stamp on a golf ball?
  7. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Yes, it was a traditional rectangle. Image was very cool...you could see all the original grain in the film. Just like seeing it in the theater for the first time in 1981, just bigger. I even finally was able to see R2 and C3PO in the Well of Souls.