main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Sunday, March 19th, Noon - V For Vendetta movie shindig and March meeting!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jack_T_Chance, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    As was mentioned at Farpoint, the movie V For Vendetta, adapted from the graphic novel by Alan Moore and David Lloyd, opens next month (on Friday, March 17th, to be precise). Since several GS members (including yours truly! ;) ) expressed an interest in seeing the film together, and possibly combining that with a meeting, this here's the thread to make all the arrangements ahead of time.

I'm going to start by suggesting a Sunday gathering, since I get to have at least 2 Sundays off a month. :)

I'm also off on Friday evenings, so an opening night gathering could be an alternate possibility.

At this point, everyone who's interested in seeing this movie together, throw out some ideas for when and where, and we'll go forth from there.

Myself, I remain partial, as always, to the Muvico Egyptian 24 at Arundel Mills, simply because it's THE best cinema in our area. However... It's always packed on the weekend, so I am open to other venues, especially AMC theaters (I have one of their Movie Watcher cards, so I earn free stuff when I go to their theaters).

That's my 2 cents for now. Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

EDIT: Time for a quick recap of the plans, which are now finalized! :D

DATE: Sunday, March 19th

TIME: March Meeting at Noon, V for Vendetta movie at 2:20 PM

PLACE: AMC Hoffman Center 22 (tentative location) for movie; meeting before movie at Ruby Tuesday next to the theater.

2. Darth_Minx

Darth_Minx Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2003
    For the theater, I prefer something more central, but since we're coming from all over, Friday is probably not our best bet. I'm good with Sundays as long as we're not going too late. Actually, I'm a fan of matinees anyways, since they're cheaper. I believe it was suggested to have a meal-meeting before the movie, which I guess would be lunch if we did a matinee. I'm free both Sundays after the opening. If we start bleeding into April I'll have to take another look, but April sucks for me.

3. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    I could certainly do a lunch meeting on a Sunday if people wanted to catch a matiniee. Or if there was no meeting, maybe even like an 11am matinee. It all depends on the movie's running time and where we'd be seeing it.

4. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    I'm in, and Sundays might be easier to handle with a group than fighting the Friday night crowds. I'd prefer to go earlier on Sunday too. I only know of the Hoffman theaters and the new Kingstowne theaters, so I'm open to meeting in a central location. Depending on timing, it might be easier to have the meeting/meal afterwards - ?

5. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Definitely looking like Sunday is the general consensus.

I believe the AMC Hoffman is where we saw ROTS, IIRC, and the location was actually pretty convenient for me, so that could work... Unless... Is there an IMAX theater in VA that'll be showing V for Vendetta? 'Cuz the movie's also showing in IMAX theaters! :D

Any thoughts on that, anyone? :)

6. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    I think it's better to have the meeting before. Chances are things will fall apart as soon as the movie's over. Best to get the meeting done first.

7. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Feb 13, 2005
    The closest theatre that has it playing in IMAX is near Philly. So, that's kinda out (sorry, Wendy!).

As soon as listings start to come up in about 2 weeks, we can figure out where to meet.

8. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002

I wonder if your refering to the IMAX in King of Prussia, PA. That is only 10 miles from my house! And you still won't come to Philly!?! :_|

:p

9. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I'll have a friend in town that weekend, but I could defintely make a meeting, if not the movie too. Sunday's good for me and Ken!

10. Darth_Twilight

Darth_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2005
    I'm not interested in seeing the movie, but I'll come for the meeting.

11. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    I just finally got a copy of V for Vendetta (the graphic novel by Alan Moore and David Lloyd) today, so I can finally read the original version. At the same time, I also got Absolute Watchmen, the new deluxe oversized edition of Alan Moore's most important masterpiece! :D

So, I guess we ought to decide on what location is most convenient for everyone. AMC Hoffman worked well for ROTS. Should we go there again? Or would anyone care to suggest another location?

Also, if we choose Hoffman, I know there were restaurants next to the theater. Anyone remember which restaurants they are? 'Cuz I'm thinking that could be a meeting possibility, unless anyone has a different suggestion.

12. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Oops! Double post! (Why don't I have the option to delete it?)

13. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Feb 13, 2005
    Well, a number of us live out in Fairfax Co/Tysons-Sterling area, so maybe something like Fairfax Corner would be in order. Theatre listings should come up sometime next week.

14. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    If I remember correctly, the restaurants near the Hoffman are the San Antonio Grill, and either Ruby Tuesday/Bennigans/TGI Fridays - one of those places, and I also think there's a cold stone creamery (is that the right name) nearby. I think there's one other place too but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

15. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    The missing Hoffman restaurant is Teds Montana Steakhouse, or something like that. The generic American food is Ruby Tuesdays.

16. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    So, the Hoffman then? What date? Time?

17. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    yes, what date and time? I would love to meet up with everyone if I can. :)

18. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Sounds like time for a quick recap! :D

DATE: Sunday, March 19th

TIME: To Be Determined (based on movie showtimes, which are not yet available)

PLACE: AMC Hoffman (tentative location) for movie, meeting before movie at unspecified restaurant (I vote for Ruby Tuesday's!)

I think Hoffman works well because everything's centralized, movie theater and several restaurant choices all together. Plus, I've been there before, which'll make it easier to figure out how to get there and back. :)

BTW, I might be bringing one of my friends with me who's interested in the movie and is a self-proclaimed Star Wars geek. In other words... NEWBIE!!! :D

19. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey, if we do the Hoffman, let's start the meeting at around noon. Maybe 12:30. I'm going to have to drive back to Sterling for work, so a head start would be nice. :)

20. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    That all works for me. And a lunchtime meeting would be perfect. Now we just wait for showtimes to come out ;P

21. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    My first post has been updated with all the information as it stands right now. Chaz, I think we can do a Noon meeting. Sounds good to me. :)

Now we just wait for the showtimes. I just checked, right now, AMC Hoffman is only listing up through the 14th. :(

22. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    I'm not going to be able to make it on that day- I'll have my kids with me that weekend and it's a rated R movie. Drat!

23. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    You can still come to the meeting if you want :(

24. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Feb 13, 2005
    Yeah. You should come to the meeting, anyway. I won't be going to the movie, either because my job is uncool and wants me to work when scheduled. :D

25. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    That's a good idea- I'll bring the kids to the lunch meeting and regretfully leave the grown-ups to go to the movie. That is, if the timing doesn't conflict with some as yet unknown kid event. I'll have to catch the movie another time- I definitely want to see it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.