main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Sunshine (NJO AU, twisted K/J - part 1 up 8/20/04)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LianaMara, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Thanks for clicking! :)

Title: Sunshine
    Author: LianaMara
    Timeframe: NJO
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo
    Genre: drama, romance, angst
    Keywords: K/J, AU
    Rating: PG
    Summary: Sometimes the ones we hurt the most are the ones we love the best.

AN1: Betaed by the lovely JainaDurron (*huggles Jilly*). Inspired by Hopes and Dreams, an album by a British band named Keane. If my scheme works, each part of this story will have corresponding lyrics from that CD.

I hate the typical arrangement of songfics, so I decided to do something a little different with this story. The lyrics that correspond are at the beginning of each part, so it doesn?t look like a story with random text inserted. Personally, I think that gives fics a much cleaner feel. So consider ?Sunshine? a normal story with lyrical interludes.

And I?ve never done K/J before, either! :p

AN2: This story is rather odd, in that it starts at the end, then goes to the beginning and travels through everything, then ends again. So bear with me. Each ?part? could also be considered a separate story, so I?m not quite sure what this is?it?s an AU Liana fic, and you know how odd those get. I might even throw a little français in for good measure. ;)

Updates will not be regular, because I'm only writing this when I truly feel the K/J love. Which is not often, especially when I'm trying to focus on other stories. Don't fear, though, for this will be completed one day.

Cover Art

Who ate your heart?
    You?re cold inside
    You?re not the one I hoped for
    I?ll see you on the other side

~Keane

[b]--SUNSHINE--[/b]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/WhiteLady/Sunpart01.jpg]
    [b]Part I: Letting Go[/b]

[i]I hold you in my hands
    A little animal
    And only some dumb idiot would let you go
    But if I?m one thing
    Then that?s the one thing
    I should know[/i]

She was a single spot of brightness on a desolate plain, burning in the Force like a star gone nova.

Kyp walked through the ruins of Coruscant, guided not by his sight but by his inner senses. At pure night, few things were visible on the lonely fields; but Jaina stood out clearly in his mind, a lone ray of sunshine in the utter blackness of his thoughts.

He approached her slowly, quietly - but not stealthily. He was too tired to cloak his presence. Besides, she had invited him here ? no secretive pretense was required. He merely needed to gather his thoughts and finally make a decision. This jaunt to the former capital was a chance for him to find resolution, one way or another.

He knew that this conversation would effectively seal his fate.

Jaina turned to face him, and in the dim starlight Kyp couldn?t make out the expression on her face. Relief that he?d arrived? Sadness that he?d waited so long? Whatever it might have been, the unreadable emotion was quickly replaced by a look of cautious joy as he stepped towards her.

?I haven?t seen you in these parts before, stranger,? she said with a crooked grin.

The repartee came effortless, snippets from a lost time. ?I was looking for a goddess, and heard I?d find one here.?

Her smile fell, and she glanced up at the horizon. ?You heard wrong. There?s no Goddess, just a broken little girl who?s been dwelling on the past.?

Kyp had no witty rejoinder to that.

He studied her silently. The pale glow from the stars above bathed her skin with silvery light but hid her eyes in shadow. Twisting his neck at different angles, he tried to see into their warm brown depths yet only found darkness. Emptiness. Rather like the large black hole he harbored inside his heart. He forced his hands into his pockets and waited for her to speak.

?They buried him over there,? she said, gesturing towards one of Coruscant?s many graveyards. The line of white stones seemed endless, stretching i

2. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    ooooooOOOOoooooo....I like very much :D I would love to read more if you continue :p I never could turn down a good J/K story, and yours is looking to be very good :)

I especially liked:

?That?s what I?ve been trying to avoid all my life: death. Not just physical closure, but a definite, undeniable ending to all I have and all I want. No more missions, no more dreams, no more relationships. And during the War, I didn?t want to lose anything. Especially you.?

that was a great line, perfectly suited to Kyp.

Awaiting more!

EJ

3. MerryWLukefan

MerryWLukefan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    Q9, the relationship expert. That I can't quite believe. That's a sad beginning! more?

4. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Hehe! Replies! :D Way better than reading up on photons for Bio.

Eowyn_Jade-
    ooooooOOOOoooooo....I like very much I would love to read more if you continue I never could turn down a good J/K story, and yours is looking to be very good

Thank you! :) I have half of Part II finished, but I really need a beta before I post the next chapter (which, BTW, is actually more like a short story. Longer than my normal vignettes, even :p ). But hopefully, it will be up soon. As long as my work and bio class doesn't interfere, that is. ;)

That's always struck me as an explanation behind some of Kyp's behavior, too; after everything he's been through, everything he's done, he's always just skirted by death. That has to be frightening, and (uh oh, Li pretending to be male character alert!) it'd be something that I would dwell on.

But then again, I'm a young female resident of Earth. It's hard for me to truly, fully understand the reasoning of a 30-something guy Jedi Master. ;)

MerryWLukefan-
    Q9, the relationship expert. That I can't quite believe. That's a sad beginning! more?

Q9 was one of my favorite characters from DJ. *sigh* I want a book just revolving around him and his adventures. :p

Thank you! Yes, more is on the way, once I lasso myself a beta. I am reveling in the sadness of it all. I'm so evil. ;)

So far Part II involves:
    *Kyp sent on a mission
    *Tatooine
    *brief background into lack of Jag
    *a very different Jaina from the one in Rebel Dream

Just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best! :)

5. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    *dances merrily in dizzying circles*

New K/J!!!!!!

I like! I could completely see the scene in my mind, with your description of the light illuminating Jaina, and how her eyes were hidden...very great start!

Can't wait for more!

Welcome to the realm that is K/J writing!

~Abby~

6. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Interesting beginning, blonde triplet! Yes, you've drawn me in :p I'm looking forward to more!

~LtJS @};-

7. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Great start so far Lei. ;) Welcome to the K/J world. If you still need a K/J beta, I offer my services.

~~Jilly

8. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Oooo, so good! A nice foreboding undertone to that first post, Liana! :D

She was a single spot of brightness on a desolate plain, burning in the Force like a star gone nova.

Kyp walked through the ruins of Coruscant, guided not by his sight but by his inner senses. At pure night, few things were visible on the lonely fields; but Jaina stood out clearly in his mind, a lone ray of sunshine in the utter blackness of his thoughts.

Lovely description! A beautifully bittersweet beginning to the story.

?I haven?t seen you in these parts before, stranger,? she said with a crooked grin.

The repartee came effortless, snippets from a lost time. ?I was looking for a goddess, and heard I?d find one here.?

I enjoyed that part too!

The more the NJO progressed the more I saw Jaina and Kyp together, and you?ve done an exceptional job of capturing both of their personalities here. More soon please!

9. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Also inspired by Hopes and Dreams, an album by a British band named Keane. If my scheme works, each part of this story will have corresponding lyrics from that CD.

You had me from that line.
    Hopes and Dreams is such a K/J album, ne? I thought so just from reading the lyrics the first time. Except for She Has No Time, but let's not get into that... >_>;

Oh, and of course, the fic itself. :p Yay! K/J!

Such great writing, and an interesting, original kinda twist there, too... I like it very much, yes. :D

10. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    ooooooooh.. another prettyful K/J to read!!!

Jacen's dead? NOooo!! :'(

Great beginning, very descriptive. Liked how you brought up reasons OTHER than the age difference/mentor/babysitter thing.

I'm watching and waiting for pt 2!

11. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
  12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Ooh, stupid Kyppie! *smacks Kyp upside the head* You're a dolt! Marry her right now, moron! :p

Dana

13. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Sorry for the tardiness, but...well, hurricanes + sicklyness + other writing = slow author replies. :( Yes, I know I'm bad.

Abby- Thank you! :) I was trying to write out how I imagined the scene unfolding in my head - I'm so glad it worked.

Welcome to the realm that is K/J writing!

I'm actually really excited about it. It's a new world! And god, don't I sound cheesy. :p

Lali- You know what, I do not think I am capable of writing normal stories. ;) *huggles*

Jilly- Really? You would?

*throws herself down at Q's feet in worship*

Thankyousomuch! :D I know it's like a month later, but I have nearly all of the next part written, just not typed up. If I send it to you some time next week, will you have time to beta it?

Lonewolf- Thanks! :) I had so much fun starting the story at the almost-end.

The more the NJO progressed the more I saw Jaina and Kyp together, and you?ve done an exceptional job of capturing both of their personalities here. More soon please!

Wow, thank you! Darth RL has been a little pissy lately, but I hope to have Part II (quite long, too) sent off to Jilly for betaing next week. I hope that's not too long a wait!

djcati-
    You had me from that line.
    Hopes and Dreams is such a K/J album, ne? I thought so just from reading the lyrics the first time. Except for She Has No Time, but let's not get into that...

I absolutely adore that CD!

First time I listened to it, I was really getting K/J vibes. But yeah, that's true. "She Has No Time" could possibly apply to canon Jaina during the Enemy Lines duology, but that's a stretch. A biiiiig stretch. ;)

Thank you. :) I enjoy writing twists, and I can assure you that this story will contain quite a few more. [face_devil]

Smuggler_Shidakis-
    Jacen's dead? NOooo!! :'(

*laughs evilly* I had to. You'll see. I really needed to make Jaina absolutely alone. [face_devil]

Oh, I thought very long about this. I was like, "Why would Jaina and Kyp never work?" I'm not quite sure that all of them are logical, though, because they're from Kyp's subjective opinion and the writer was under the influence of Code Red Mountain Dew. ;)

Lonewolf- Thankies. [face_hug]

Dantana- I know! Will that boy ever learn sense? He's so...
    so...
    aggravating. :p

Meh. Better write some more. ;)

14. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    *perks up* Hurricanes? You wouldn't, by any chance, happen to be in Florida, would you?

Dana

15. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Yummy mountain dew. :D

:'( Poor Jaca. I understand why you did it though.

16. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Dana- I am unfortunately a native Floridian. :p Since my hometown's about 20 miles from Daytona Beach, we're in a bit of a mess. My parents' house has been without power for almost a week now, and my work had the roof ripped off during the first hurricane. It's certainly been an intriguing summer. ;)

Smuggler_Shidakis- I heart Code Red. It's just so...scrumptious. :D

I feel bad about Jacen. I mean, he had his good points... [face_devil] But killing off characters makes for a wicked good time, you know? :p

17. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    You know what, I do not think I am capable of writing normal stories. *huggles*
    You know what? I think I agree :p *hugs back*

Ooh, I hope everything's ok! *extra hug*

~LtJS @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.