main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sunshine

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that I found a new, interesting looking SciFi film that will be coming out later this year. Thus far, it's been under the radar, but from the couple (and only) places that I've really found any mention of it, it looks like there's a considerable amount of anticipation.
    The movie is called Sunshine, and it's being directed by Danny Boyle, who is known for his movie 28 Days Later. It's also written by the same person. Now, I've heard a number of good things about 28 Days Later, so that certainly piqued my interest.

Here's the plot summary from the official weblog of the movie:

The Film
    The Sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope: a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star. But deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. Soon the crew are fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity.

Empire Magazine also posts up this brief summary:
    The sun is dying. A team of astronauts have been sent to re-ignite the first failing spot, but communication with them has been dead for some time. A second team are sent to complete the mission.

Okay, it's a little on the "this has already been done before" side, but I'm getting the feeling that this isn't a disaster movie, and that it's going to be a lot more interesting than just that, at least, one can hope. Looking through the official blog, there's mention of the types of solar radiation that the sun puts out, Akhenaten, an Egyptian Pharaoh with mention of the sun worship and achievements that the egyptians made with calculations and the like, the lifecyle of a star, and creation of the universe.

So, in my opinion, this looks to be one to keep your eyes out for. Could be very interesting. This is their official weblog: http://www.sunshinedna.com/

This is the cast list:

Rose Byrne .... Cassie
    Cliff Curtis .... Searle
    Chris Evans .... Mace
    Troy Garity .... Harvey
    Cillian Murphy .... Capa
    Hiroyuki Sanada .... Kanada
    Mark Strong .... Pinbacker
    Benedict Wong .... Trey
    Michelle Yeoh .... Corazon

2. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    *cough*The Core*cough*

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    That was my first impression, but looking around a little, it looks like it's going to go quite a bit ahead of that. Unfortunently, that doesn't mean a whole lot, given the quality of the Core.

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Hmm. Looks to be interesting.

Boyle does good stuff. So you wouldn't expect a core sequel out of it.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I have yet to see 28 days later, but I've heard a lot of good things.

6. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Go watch it. Now.

And hey, Cillian Murphy and Michelle Yeoh. Neat.

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Ok so not only are we supposed to accept that the sun is flickering out, but that we just happen to have the technology to not only go there and survive, but to re-ignite it? How is that even possible?

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Not a clue, at least for the near future.

Theoretically, the elements in the sun will eventually form heavier metals, which will create less heat and move to the red end of the spectrum. Soon, the mass will become so heavy that it'll implode. I don't know how you'd reverse it.

But, as I said in another forum, I suspect that this is more about the astronauts.

9. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Cilian Murphy owned Batman Begins and Red Eye

I could barely handle watching the Core once. I dunno If I wanna see it again.

10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Pfft. 28 days isn't even my favorite movie of his. That would probably be Trainspotting.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that I saw the first couple minutes of Trainspotting, but no more than that.

12. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Rose Byrne .... Cassie

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] =P~

13. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    This movie is not going to be like the Core. This should be good with Danny Boyle and Cillian.

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Release date is October 13th.

15. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    unlocked at authors request

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The trailer is now out. Comingsoon.net has it.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hadn't heard of it before, but my daughter said she's been wating for this movie for a long time.

Just watched the trailer. Looks promising.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Upping this: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/sunshine/

19. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    Looks Good. I will have to check this out

20. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Well, I'm certainly having second thoughts after scene the trailer. And I like the remix of the Requiem for a Dream theme...heh. And the Icarus II looks like one of the shieldships from the Thrawn Trilogy. :p

21. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it. Pretty cool.

22. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Definitely going to be skipping this one. No offense to the director, but it looks like...well...crap. Sure, the CGI (almost said special effects there...glad I caught myself) look pretty, but, like I always say, you can't tell a book by its cover, but you can tell a movie by its trailer. This trailer reeks of false drama, artificial tension, and yawn-inducing action/danger scenes that sell tickets but kill brain cells and raise blood pressure. That's nothing compared to the storytelling problems. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, every movie requires it to some extent, but this is just plain ridiculous. The sun dying and humanity creating that sort of technology and spaceships and such all in fifty years time? Fifty years from now, we're still going to be trying to get remote-controlled cars to drive properly on Mars' surface, not building gargantuan space vessels with artificial gravity that can fly into the sun and reignite a dying star. This just goes too far.

Now, what they could have done was set this at some indistinct time in the far distant future, don't look at Earth or talk about conditions on the planet, and keep the entire film a tightly-knit character study about people falling apart or excelling when faced with such an impossible situation (and cut all that nonsensical 'excitement' that involves explosions an light shows and such out or keep it to a bare minimum) Make it a little more like Solaris than the Core.

23. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I saw the trailer for it last night, and that wasn't the impression I got about the movie at all. I see it as being set in the near future with impressive CGI, but I think the main trust of the movie is about interpersonal relationships and the desire to survive.

The trailer I saw hinted at them running out of oxygen, and needing to sacrifice some crew members so they have enough oxygen to complete their mission. Apparently some are sacrificed, but according to the computer there are still too many crew members on board (ie someone didn't die, or there is a extra person hiding on the ship).

This to me is classic Boyle - think Shallow Grave, or The Beach and the impact that difficult circumstances can have on otherwise "normal" people.

edit

and it's good to see Dormé making a come back ;)

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So has anyone seen this? It opened Thursday here in the UK and the reviews I have seen have been pretty good (except for one plot twist that one reviewer called 'dumb' but didn't elaborate on). I was thinking of going next week since the trailer impressed me.

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It's not being released in the US until this winter, unfortunently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.