main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Supanova 09

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kahlan72, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Supanova time has hit us again. I know it's not everyone's thing anymore, but Goobs and I shall be going, and in costume for much of the wekeend if possible. It's what geeks like us do :)

Anyway, thought I'd offer some information for anyone that wasn't really fussed enough to go looking for it, but may do the one day thing.

And anyone that is going..places to discuss costumes and gatherings and alternate ways to plan the weekend so we enjoy it a little more.

Dates: 3-5th April

http://supanova.com.au/

Mainly we'll be going to costume up, take photos, and hang out with fellow geeks. The usual walk around to buy stuff, and go to a few Q&A sessions will occur too, but I think we might head out to have lunch elsewhere and enjoy the atmosphere outside the closed in spaces a little more.

Saturday is apparently a day where a large group of steampunkers are gathering, so we're planning on costuming our star wars steampunk stuff we've been working on, although we've had some other thoughts about general time traveller/steampunkers we may switch to.

And Sunday is suposedly an attempt to get as many people cosplaying super heroes as possible, to go for some record. I've joined another sci-fi group, that Monkiees in, and they're doing an en mass xmen group we may partake in too. Though Goobs has been expressing some desire to pick a character from Heroes..and considering that the Heroes cheerleedin chick'll be there, that might be cool. I'm gonna attempt to get into my xmen leathers..although larger pants may need to be bought!

Friday night I'll be going to, too, although Goobs is working, and not sure of costume yet. I think LC is heading up here, and maybe a Watchmen theme is being considered, which would be cool to see.

I juut need to work out how to incorporate my camera into a costume or two, as we intend to take lots of pics.

So, we're going. If you are, or are considering, here's a place to talk about it. And any ideas for making it more enjoyable than it has been in the past by doing it a bit differently.

Bring on the geekiness!

2. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I think at last report LC decided that she couldn't make it up for Nova after all :(

I'll probably be doing my usual for the Friday night thing.

And naturally looking forward to stocking up on Doctor Who dvds again.

3. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year :( I was really looking forward to it and had all my costumes organised (including Silk Spectre I :D), but sadly, no go.

Unfortunately Supanova weekend falls on exactly the same weekend that Matt finishes basic training. So I'll be in Wagga that weekend at Matt's Marching Out parade. Plus that weekend will also be our 2 year anniversary, so there's no way I'm missing it!

But I am pretty sure I'll be coming up for GenCon! I have quite a few costumes planned for that convention, so hopefully I can catch up with you all then!

But I do hope you will post lots of photos! :D

4. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Defiantly going to skip it this year. Last year was painful and I'm expecting more of that this year.

Unless we collaboratively attend JUST to troll Oscar Nominee Eric Roberts' session.

Edit - Which he does himself these days, actually.

5. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Shall be overseas at that time.

6. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    If the company is good, I'll gladly suffer the Scary.

7. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Mike (The Bigger Fish) and I are going to be there on Saturday. If anyone else is showing up then it would be fun to meet up. :)
    We'll be in Stargate costumes. :p

:-B

8. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    I'm hoping to go on the Saturday, Yvette! I won't be in costume, although, I will probably be with a couple of people in Cosplay. I can't quite remember who they will be... but whatever. :p

9. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    At this stage it looks like I MIGHT make it! Seeing if I can rally the cash for the flight from Syd-Bris. But if I do make it, I will only be there on Saturday (in Silk Spectre) as I have a few people to catch up with on Sunday who won't be at nova.

Hope to see you there! No doubt you'll find me!

10. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Indeed.

I will be attempting a space-camo(read black), Teal'c get-up.
    Almost done with the Staff, & the packet of Jaffas...
    But the forehead branding's gonna be, tricky.[face_hypnotized]

Anywho, I'm actually contemplating going to a Friday night this year...
    Can anybody tell me what that's aboot eh???

11. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    WOO! [face_dancing]

12. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Nova is a definate no go for me this year. There would be no way I could survive it shoulder intact thanks to the ridiculously crowded locale. I'm going to steer well clear of the crowds and avoid shoulder jostles and save myself pain (and time off work).

13. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    If I do go, it'll be on-a-whim, ticket-at-the-gate style for an afternoon stickybeak and nothing more. Just feeling very appathetic about the whole thing this year. *Shrug*

14. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Cj, Friday nights usually have a cool person speak and an auditorium full of dressed up individuals all vying for attention. I've only been to one. I'm gonna get a weekend pass and go Friday night too this year. Have camera, and want to take lots of pics, and get the feel of the place from the photographer angle.

Our costumes are almost done, and am most looking forward to just dressing up and watching the other freaks go by. Want to see Richard Hatch speak, hope to see some traid/Pyramid get played by the Sci-fi group, maybe get a photo taken with Tara from Buffy, and take photos of every steampunker there. Steampunk Star Wars on Saturday, Xmen Sunday..maybe..pants definitely ain't fitting, and BSg on Friday night maybe.

I think we'll head out for a walk at lunchtime in costume Saturday/Sunday so amybe if people don't want to go in, we could meet up for lunch somewhere close.

Morgs, Scoff..you guys still going? was hoping to catch up with you Friday night if you're going as I don't want to nigel it. Although if Cj is going too.. :)

Honestly, I'm not building it up in my head, as it often disappoints, but it's someplace GOobs and I enjoy going.

1 week to go. Man I should buy tickets...

15. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    My costumes for Supernova are...

Friday: Morpheus(Reloaded-Big Rig Battle) Purple Vest on Black w/Yellow Tie.
    Weapons - 9mm & Katana.

Saturday: Teal'c(Space Camo) Black on Black - Utility vest & Cargo Trousers.
    Weapon - Goa'uld Staff.

Sunday: I'll be in my civies, as my Predator armour is STILL incomplete.
    Works out good as I'll probably get photos with Miss Benson & Panettiere.

See y'all there![face_peace]

16. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Change in plans, if I do make it, I'll be there Sunday instead. Also works perfectly since my costume is a superhero :D

Hoping to make it, but will have to check funds etc.

17. Magnus Darcrider

Magnus Darcrider Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2000
    I'm actually volunteering this year; I'm curious to see how it functions behind the scenes. I suspect I'll be bitterly disappointed or even more scared, but you never know :p

Think I'll be sticking to civilian clothes (though if I can get that "Paddle Faster, I Hear Banjos" t-shirt I'll wear that, in honour of the Land of Canoes costume that never eventuated [face_laugh]

Though if you're going as Teal'c CJ, I may throw on the Daniel Jackson gear for photos.

Either way, I'll see some of you at some point that weekend I'm sure.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

18. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Daniel Jackson would be cool. There'll be a couple of other Stargaters there on Saturday, so it should be a good photo opportunity.

Also, what will you be helping with MD??
    If you're doing the Friday Queen St mall promo, there's a spare Mace Windu that's ready to suit up if needed.[face_peace]

19. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    We'll be there on the Sunday for a while, but unfortunately not in costume (as we ran out of time) :(

Can't wait to see people :)

Kithera

20. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Well it's a rainy Friday morning. Which ain't so bad..at least it's not REALLY HOT.

Costumes are done and looking forward to the weekend, of rain and weirdness and seeing other freaks.

No idea of the plan as yet, except that I'll be there tonight. Hoping to not head in all nigellish. Might contact Scoff, Morgs and CJ today. Looking forward to seeing people!

Hope anyone that comes enjoys themselves. sms me if you want. I'll be the BSG chick, or the Leia with goggles or Rogue..the xman not the crocodile and most lilely outside taking photos much of the time.

Ahh..time spent with the geeks. Nice!

21. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Any desire to meet up sometime tomorrow? I am new so I don't know who to look for. :p

22. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Will be there tomorrow from about 11am. Will be bringing a couple of snacky things for people to munch on (but not a lot) and, of course, the camera.

If it isn't pissing with rain, I'd love to meet people near the wrought iron gates (outside both pavilions). If it is raining then it'll be underneath the big pavilion.

Oh and if someone has the promotion booklet for Supernova, they might want to look on page 5...it's sorta cool! :p

Kithera

23. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Sadly, I didn't spot anyone but that is okay. I'll have to try another meeting sometime. :)
    But Mike and I had a fantastic time. :D

24. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Congrats to Zerebin and CBStudios on their panel. Was enlightening - and the safety message was conveyed well.

Willy Wonka looked good.

Steampunk Leia especially!

25. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Sorry we missed you Yvette, but glad to hear you had a good time :)

In other news, after the weekend I'm absolutely fracked. Guh. So tired. Was fun I think - enjoyed the reception of all my hard work on Scoff's costumes. Was good to catch up with people and stuff. I've only uploaded two photos so far via the twitters, but I'll upload the rest of the good ones sometime soon.

http://twitpic.com/2wpu2 Scoff as Doctor and Zerebin and Reactor Drone as Cybermen. Loved that setting for the Cybermen, it felt very ... "The Invasion" ish.

http://twitpic.com/2wpxx Me as a Lemming (it's a bit of a stretch, but go with it) and Scoff as Willy Wonka. Pretty pleased with the result. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.