1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:QLD SupaNova Brisbane - April 13-15

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by GoobaFish, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    oooohhh good finds all LC. Am looking out for cheap red boots myself, but a size bigger. Will keep an eye out for you!

For my contribution today, I finished Finns Jedi Tunic and he seemed pretty excited about it. ONce again..it WILL fall apart..but it'll do for a while :)
    I was a little ho-hum about the old same coloured Obi thing, so I found some great linen tea towels in spotlight the other day that looked so cool. I got a black one too and might end up doing one for my costume. Very oriental lok, but that's what I'm going for.

Also I couldn't see the kid wanting to wear a double layer for costuming sake, so I added a fake layer to this one's collar. Second tea towel, so same materials and colour as the Obi. Now I just have to get him to give the saber back.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/kahlan72/?sc=1
  2. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think it needs to be said, but nevertheless:

Cutest little jedi ever [face_love] ;)
  3. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Seconded!

...don't think you're getting that Saber back.
  4. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    Absolutely the cutest ever!!!

You've done a fantastic job of all the costumes so far K! I can't wait to see them all in person! :D
  5. ImperialCourtessan Jedi Knight

star 3
    sssh!!! ..wonder if someone is doing a Seline/Underworld costume for SupaNova?!! [face_whistling]
  6. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    I've decided on my costume for SupaNova. Yes, it's pretty late in the game for getting costumes, but this one should be easy and look pretty cool.

Kyle Katarn

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/74/Ug-kyle.jpg]

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/6d/Kyle.jpg]

So, the pants, grey undershirt and saber I have.

I need -
    - a yellowish shirt like his
    - his shoulder pad thing (which should be pretty easy, right? I'm thinking an old belt with a big leather thing on it.)
    - big leathery belt
    - A blaster would be nice, but expensive I would think, so I might leave that out.
    - big leathery shoes

Woo! This should be fun. Except I'm going to have to be doing alot of op-shopping. Anybody for next saturday?
  7. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/musicalbek/1990379.jpg]

Here's a live action pic sambo, if it's any use to you. I'd say his shirt is not so much yellowish, as just a rather creamy-white/offwhite sort of thingy...Sort of colour a white shirt would probably become hanging around on a dusty planet like Tatooine (for example) for too long ;)

Well I still need to get stuff for Roslin, amongst other things so I'm always up for Op Shopping.
  8. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    Very cool choice MS! Earlier this morning, I wrote a nice detailed reply of how to make various pieces, but the stupid forums went berserk and ate my reply :( So I'll try to remember what I said!

I reckon the shirt is more of a crema colour, than a yellow. [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/3/3f/Kyle_sariss.jpg]
    Going by this image, if you can find yourself a cream long sleeved shirt, put a slit down the front (which can be folded back and hemmed - you can actually use sticky stuff for this rather then sewing it), wear a grey singlet underneath (bsg anyone? :p) et voila!

The shoulder bell/pauldron looks medievalish. Reminds me of Darren's Gondorian Armour shoulder pieces. Basically you want something for the base (I'd say try with Cardboard first to get your shapes right, and then try plastic - will explain this in a bit). Cut 2 crescent like shapes (use the images as a guide) that will fit around your shoulder. These will be riveted in turn to the next one (so piece 1 get riveted over piece 2, which get riveted over piece 3). You can then attach it to a belt cut to size for your shoulder. The pieces will need to be covered in leahter/suede. Check out some second hand stores, you can usually find shirts/skirts/pants that are made from suede like fabric (check the ladies sections, usually they have shirts).

Ok to explain the plastic bit. I'd recommend using a plastic rubbish bin - it will cost you a couple of bucks from a cheapie store. Looks for one that's not too thick (and make sure you've got something you can cut it with). This already has a curvature to it, which will make it easier to work with. Using the cardboard template, draw the shapes onto the plastic and cut them out. If they need more shaping (which they prolly will) boil some water, pour it in a bowl. Stick your plastic piece int he water, and using tongs, bend it to shape. Repeat until you have the desired curve.

You can use a similar mehtod for the bracers. Find a couple of plastic cups, cut them in half, and cut off the bottom. You'll want to cut them so that they will fit nicely around your arm. Try to find long enough ones to cover as far as you want them to go up your arm. Use the hot water method if they need to be further curved for your arm. on one side you'll want a hinge. So use tape (duct tape works wonders) along botht he inside and outside. You want them to be flexible, but secure (so that they won't rip down the middle). Cover the pieces in the suede/leather/what you've got; looking at that first pic, there's wrinkles in it too. You can close the other side with velcro (on the inside), magnets etc. Velcro will prolly work best. I'd also recommend lining the inside with felt, so that it will soak up the sweat (have you seen the inside of TK armour once it's taken off? :eek:).

Belts should be easy to find in op-shops, perhaps layer a few togehter?

Good luck with it Sambo, if you need any help, jsut ask! :D Hope that made sense!!
  9. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Jolly good, LC :)

Check out some second hand stores, you can usually find shirts/skirts/pants that are made from suede like fabric (check the ladies sections, usually they have shirts).

Aunty Kahlan knows all about the finding of suede-like stuff in op shops ;)
  10. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    ^_^ I try my bestest! :D

Suede stuff is surprisingly simple to find in clothing. Actually, I found the nicest suede jacket when I went opshopping, not too expensive either, though it was a size 18, and I have no use for it currently, so I reclly couldn't justify buying it. But if anyone wants it, I can grab it for you! It was that tan coloured suede, really good quality too, and the jacket was longish, so prolly around mid thigh.

OMGOMGOMG!!!

I have WW pants!! :D Well they're not finished yet, but I just tried them on and OMG! I have WW pants :p
  11. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually the Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II costume is really cheaply put together. The right shoulder pauldron and and the bracers are actually part of the tunic, stitched into them. The bracers are just the same material that is under the arms of the tunic. The tunic seems to be made of the same sort of material your traditional Jedi tunic is made from.

Black jeans and boots will do the rest.

The gun belt is ridiculously complex, just do your best with what you can get. We should be able to find something that'll make a good substitute for a Modified Bryar Pistol though :p

He's also got a brown coat (heh) he wears occasionally. Looks just like an old Driza Bone with some buckles added.

The costumes for Jedi Outcast, Katarn's tenure during the Yuuzhan Vong War, and even the original Dark Forces are again all different, and vary in complexity.

Still, it's a cool costume and he's a great character; my favourite of the EU. Let me know if you need any help.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  12. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    http://www.movieworld.com.au/tickets/tickets.cfm#16

There's info there about the Sci-fi night being held at Movie World on the Sat night of Nova. It sure woul dbe great to see you guys there!! Tickets are on sale now! :D

Also, newest guest jsut announced:

Ron Glass AKA Shepherd Book! :D
  13. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Well I just bought a ticket thanks to you Last_Chael... All I need now is ride there? Any takers? :p
  14. ImperialCourtessan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Excellent stuff. I've snagged myself a couple just in case the SPECTRE Trailer release thing doesnt eventuate for that night, but if it does, then hopefully there'll be a couple of peeps who still need tickets/can buy these from me closer to the event.

I may have missed it posted earlier, but for those that aren't aware,

SUPANOVA WEEKEND PASSES - on sale through TICKETEK as of March 16th !!!
  15. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooooh sounds cool!
    AND SHEPHERD BOOK!

A shame that I have a yearly pass to Movieworld but still ahve to pay though :(

I wonder if we should wait til Supanova tickets are released..maybe there'll be a bundled package you can buy including the sci-fi night?

Anyway..will probably be buying the movieworld tickets soon online and the Supanova ones as soon as they come out. GIving forewarning so that people without a credit card who wants me to get theirs, and can pay me reasonably soon therafter, can let me know :)

I finished the kids Costume this weekend and made him try it all on this morning. Except the boots..don'thave boots. IT's on my photbucket site which now has a pasword attached, so pm me if you want the pw. Just some wise words from Goobs about protecting little people from harm, made me alter my thinking, and fair enough too.

Munchkin did complain of being hot in the outfit though so..hmmm. Guess he's not as ready to sacrifice as I hoped he'd be LOL.

16. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Boots. Got boots. I can't really justify what I spent on boots for a 3 year old, but pu it this way... there was a great pair for 50 in one store, and about 40 in Target and they were having a decent discount on them!! So the kid tried them on and went..COOL!! So done. Had to buy them.

And don't tell him they're girls boots. They're very Jedi looking, but no self respecting NORMAL boy would probably wear them :) But he's mine. Normal doesn't even factor in.
  17. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    I love it when a plan comes together :D (BTW, Next year we doing the A-Team :p )

I'll get started on the construction of this on thursday. I'm seriously considering doing cosplay chess. I'm trying to as much geeky things this SupaNova for my doco. This, I think, would turn out pretty interesting.

I should also be able to get the "Gaius Baltar - Not My President" shirt out of the way this thursday too.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/murder_sandwhich/Baltarnotmy1.jpg]
    This one is the final one. I found a more appropriate picture of Baltar and cleaned up the text a tad.

Would anybody else like one? I could put one together for you and I could give it to you next time we meet. It'll cost about $15.
  18. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    OOh sounds cool Josh. have to be on a khaki small tshirt or a grey one. I'll have one if you can.

Reading the Supanova thread today and although I know costumes aren't everyon'e fare..my plan of costume atack is... Friday night Phoenix. Saturday Star Wars and into the Movie world thing. Sunday Battlestar. We could also Matrix on SAturday night for Movieworld and Firefly for half of Sunday! LOL..but now I'm talking crazy talk.

19. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    I was just thinking a white t-shirt. What size?
  20. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well if you're doing white guys shirts, it'll have to be a small. Still want one! :)
  21. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Jodes, Bek and I are going to be wearing out BSG costumes on the Sat, if you wanted to go as a group?

Currently I've got Cally for Sat, Wonder Woman for Sun. I'll also be wearing Ewok Leia in there somewhere, not sure yet whether that will be Sat or Sun morn. If you do swap BSG and SW I can prolly wear Ewok on the Sun morn with you before changing into WW. Sat night I'll most probably be wearing Classic Leia. Hopefully I can get V3 finished in time for it.

MS Cosplay chess is fun! I was the Queen in Sydney and damnit I kicked butt! :D Our team won :D [face_dancing] I won't be going in it this year, but I hope to make it there to watch!
  22. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thought all your Ordo gang were doing Saturday Star wars which was why I suggested... hmmmmmmmm. I am reviewing..the situation. Can a villain..NOOOOOO!!!!!

What's Cosplay chess?
  23. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehehe well most of the Novus guys will be wearing Star Wars all weekend :p (that's all alot of them have) But they know I'm only doing one or two SW costumes. There's a few of us Guild girls doing group costumes. The Sunday was supposed to be Super Hero day, but alot of the people have pulled out :( But for various other reasons, I'm definately wearing Cally Sat arvo, and WW Sun arvo. :D

Cosplay chess is basically a giant chess game with the pieces being played by various costumed characters. There are two people playing against each other, and they move their pieces, and the costumed characters move accordingly. When you're taking out a piece, you have a battle and kill the piece in a manner befitting your character. So as Leia last year, I used the force and my trusty lightsaber to take out most of the pieces. Ah it's good to be the Queen! :D Unfortunately, I have a few commitments already (unfortunately not timetabled yet) so I'm just going to watch from the sidelines this year. But it's lots of fun, even as an audience member!
  24. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, I've signed up for Cosplay chess. This should be fun.
  25. Lord_Zerebin Jedi Knight

star 1
    [image=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/Zerebin/DSC01664.jpg]

Still a work in progress, but this is my Friday night costume, many should recognise him from the Star Wars Video Game, Knights of the Old Republic, as Darth Revan. Grievous is slowly getting there, and my normal cosplay outfit is taking it's sweet time to get together.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.