main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Supanova convention, Peter Mayhew speaking

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Cockatiel, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cockatiel

Cockatiel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    Are any of you guys n' gals going to Supanova?

Supanova is a convention that deals with movies, pop culture, comics etc etc you know the run of the mill general convention.

Here are a few vital bits of info to those interested:

Where: Exhibition Centre Hall 4, Sydney Showground, Homebush, Sydney.

When: Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 April 10.00am ? 6.00pm

Tickets: Available from Ticketek and at the door.

Here's some reasons WHY to go to Supanova:
    (With more info included below pulled from their website, which is also below)

= 1. STAR WARS EPISODE 2 SPECIAL =

The Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Hardcover is being released April 23rd for the RRP of $39.95. As a special available only at Supanova, you can reserve your copy for the awesome price of only $27.95!

But there's more! On a huge selection of their Star Wars novels, again only at Supanova, buy any 2 and you get a third novel FREE!

= 2. PANELS & SEMINARS =

This is going to be soooooooo much fun.

Every hour, on the hour, Supanova will be presenting the stars of its enormous guest-list for you, the fans, to ask questions, learn behind the scenes stuff, to find out what its all really about.

Speakers will include?

Peter Mayhew ? Chewbacca
    Yvonne Craig ? Batgirl
    Veronica Taylor ? Ash
    Stephanie Nadolny ? Gohan
    J.G. Hertzler ? General Martok
    Robert O?Reilly ? Chancellor Gowron
    Stephen Austin ? Ambassador Pak 'Ma 'Ra
    David Mack ? Kabuki
    Mark Millar ? Ultimate X-Men
    Frank Quitely ? New X-Men

AND MORE!!!

Specific time-slots will be announced closer to the Expo.

So stay tuned.

= 3. Peter Mayhew =

Supanova is pleased to host our largest guest yet, all 7?3? of him, Peter Mayhew aka Chewbacca the Wookie from the original Star Wars trilogy.

Peter Mayhew, inadvertently found himself catapulted into films when his photograph was noticed by the producers of Ray Harryhausen's Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977), the producers casting Mayhew in the role of the minotaur.

When writer/director George Lucas began searching for a tall actor who could accurately portray Chewbacca, he initially turned to David Prowse. The bodybuilder opted for the part of the sinister Darth Vader, leaving Lucas free to seek out Mayhew for the role of the Wookie.

Once inside the costume, Mayhew created one of the trilogy's most memorable and popular characters. Although Chewie's vocalizations were later dubbed into the film in post-production, to cue his fellow actors Mayhew simulated the character's dialogue from within the mask. On set, he was known to growl, grunt, and shriek.

After Jedi wrapped, with the exception of a phony taping of Larry King Live, Mayhew did not don the Wookie costume again until 1997, when he appeared on the annual MTV Movie Awards to accept the Lifetime Acheivement award to honour Chewbacca.

Since ROTJ, Mayhew is often seen at Star Wars conventions and is a member of the "Men Behind the Masks", a group which also includes David Prowse, Kenny Baker, and Jeremy Bulloch. Mayhew also makes appearances at Children's Home and Hospitals, and often brings them toys.

Mayhew currently lives in Texas when he's not touring. Mayhew is a Star Wars purist (Yea!), which means that he only believes what George Lucas writes in actual Star Wars, and everything else is someone else's take on the story. Mayhew enjoys the Star Wars toys and other merchandise, especially the art.

All guests appear commitments pending. Autograph fee applies.

====== Supanova Ticket Prices =====

Supanova tickets are available from Ticketek (keyword ? Supanova), so that you can save money and avoid the queue.

Don?t say we didn?t warn you!

For those who don?t get a chance to order their tickets in advance, Single Day Passes only will be available at the door.

The following prices apply?

2 Day Pass (only available from Ticketek)
    Adult: $20.00*
    Child**: $9.75* (under 5 free)

Single Day Pass
    Adult: $11.00* / $13.50 at the door
    Child**: $5.65* / $7.50 at the door

* $1.50 Booking Fee

2. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    Well I'm going to it, if your going too we can meet up or something. This might get locked because of redundancy.

3. Cockatiel

Apr 4, 2002
    I'm still contemplating whether to go to Supanova or not, I'm really only interesting in seeing what the Star Wars sellers have to sell, but with their already high prices plus a ticket price to get in it's something I'm weighing up heavily.

BTW what's th protocol about locking for redundancy?

4. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    Well there's already a Supernova thread, so that counts as redundancy here :)

5. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Redundancy! Hooray!

Let's all sing the Redundancy song!

It's Reduntant, it's Redundant!
    This thread...
    Is Redundant!

-that was sarcasm-

Generally, if there's already a thread within the first two pages of posts, then it's more than likely that a new post on that subject will be locked for redundancy, unless the content is varied enough to require a different thread.

Edit - and on that note, I think it's about time we started a new "New Members - Sign in here" thread, since the old one is on page 6, and I mean, that's a bloody pain in the backside for new users. Or of course, we could leave it be and let new users post their own greeting thread, like they seem to be more than capable of doing.

6. Cockatiel

Apr 4, 2002
    Whoops, here I thought I was announcing new news.

Oh well, this thread is redundant then, just glad you guys know about Supanova, thought you might like it. ;)

7. The_Poison_Monkey

The_Poison_Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2001
    Thread may be redundant, but this has s#@tloads more info than anything else did. they were all "Supanova is on, and some guy who was in a suit in star wars is gonna be there".

Thanks for all the info, even tho I'm impoverished and prolly can't make it cos I'm also goin back to Armidale then....

8. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Agreed Sam, this thread makes all the others look.. well.. redundant. Hahahahaha.

9. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    OK, Syrix, I think we can calm down now. The guy is new, he may not know the rules as well as some people do. If you see something redundant, come to me. There was no need for that.

And Sam is right, this one DOES have a lot more info than the other one. As such, if no one minds, I may close the OTHER one, and leave the one with the info open. Any objections?

10. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Shara, I wasn't having a go at Cockatiel.

Cockatiel, Sorry if it sounded like I was having a go at you.

Just a bit of light hearted comedy, folks, nothin' more. Nothin' more...

11. Cockatiel

Apr 4, 2002
    It's cool trust me, I knew you mean't it nicely.

And I must say once again that this place is very "welcoming", thankyou all. ;)

12. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    When do we cut out his liver?

13. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Soon as I suck out his soul!

14. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    I'm guessing that means there's no protests, then. ;)

OK, I'll close the other one, redirect all traffic here. :)

15. Cockatiel

Apr 4, 2002
    Always with the liver and souls with you cannibals.

You should really try the ankle, you haven't lived until you've had a deep fried ankle with a side serving of fingers. ;)

16. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    Nah, I like my human soft and squishy.

17. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    i'll get the sledge then
    back soon

18. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Only in this forum can a thread go from Supernova to cannibalism. ;)

19. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    The true test, Ki, would be to start a thread on cannibalism and see if it ends up on Supernova!

20. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah, I guess only the silly threads stay on topic.

21. sirowein

sirowein Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    Hi Everyone,
    You may remember me from such posts as "Starwars event in Sydney" and the banned "Peter Mayhew is really going to Supanova". I have to concur with Shara this really does have much more info. Hopefully I will see you all there. It sounds cool.

22. sirowein

sirowein Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    Oh and by the way I don't don't agree with any acts of canabalism, in fact it deeply offends me that people can be so blase about a problem that really affects poor third world countries. In fact I would like everyone to take part in my new sponsor a canabal fund. Send donations to
    Imacan Abal
    10 Just Kidding st
    Sydney 2000

P.s. How many people are actually going to Supanova, seeing as this is the thread for it?

23. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    Well can I get a affirmative from the people that are going? We can meet up and you guys can buy me a beer or something :D

24. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yep, I'd like to give a big affirmative..... sorry, to cannibalism, not the Peter Mayhew thing. :p

25. ROE_Biggs

ROE_Biggs Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    i'll be there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.