main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Super Bowl Ads

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by RX_Sith, Jan 30, 2012.

1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm done with Super Bowl Ads.

2. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    we need some super bowel ads. ferris bueller unable to hold back a lavalanche of diarrhea while driving his new honda cr-v.

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  4. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    The Pepsi Ad where Melanie Amaro drops Elton John has been the best one so far.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Certainly better than the Chevy ad that's going after the... post-apocalyptic demographic? I guess?

6. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    The Budweier post-Prohibition Ad and the Chevy Camaro one were pretty good as well.

7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    My favorites were the vampire hundai commercial and the naked M&M commercial. I can't explain it, but they tickled me something fierce.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I really liked the Jack in the Box ad where the guy married bacon.

... Anybody besides me finding the ads to be really surreal this year?

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, especially that Chrysler ad with Clint Eastwood.

Detroit came back from the brink? Pfft, silly Super Bowl commercials.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I was disappointed in the adds this year. None we're really that great.

11. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    This year SUCKED as far as commercials go. I blame NBC, they spent too much time promoting their OWN shows IMO.

There were a few good ones. Something involving the Cantina from Star Wars, A cheetah chasing a guy, Jerry Seinfeld, Bud Light PLATINUM?!?

Seriously, all advertisers FUMBLED this year. By far the weakest in my own memory. :(

12. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I thought these were the greatest ads in years. I've literally maxed out my credit card trying to buy all the products online tonight.

13. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    I liked the vampire Hyundai commercial as well. :)

In general the commercials were kind of fail...I mostly toggled between Ice Age 3 and the game.

14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004

Belated response, but I don't not like sports, I just don't like that people make so much money off it. In a way it defeats some of the primary purposes of sport.

15. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I've sort of drifted away from watching sports the last couple of years, and Super Bowl XLVI will probably be the last game I ever sit through. If I hadn't been at a party I would have turned it off well before the first half was over. This is the epitome of televised entertainment? The game was awful, and the ads were no different than any other commercials that usually air. Maybe that's because advertisers have long since abandoned touting the product and what it does in favor of some fantastic and totally unrealistic property it has. I mean, think about all of the Dorito's commercials that you may have seen this year; I recall one that involved the zombie apocalypse. Were any of them realistic at all? How is that selling chips? And now Volkswagon is referencing their commercial from last year in an attempt to garner laughs(and they've also got another ad with dogs barking the Imperial March, with absolutely nothing else)? It's ridiculous. If I want to see a funny short film, I'll stick to youtube(sure, it takes some filtering to find quality content, but at least it's there), instead of the ad wizards at Cars.com.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    DLB: How does that defeat some of the primary purposes of sport? Yeah, many over paid, but so much surrounding sports are valuable financially, and the money is deserved.

EF: Who cares if the commercials are lackluster? I mean really, yeah it's a draw for Super Bowl Sunday, but it really shouldn't be such a thing to mull over.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Apparently the ad agency that came up with the Ferris Bueller ad shopped the idea around to a number of car companies. The Honda CR-V is a terrible match -- Ferris went from a classic Ferrari convertible to a soccer-mom-mobile?

And no Cameron?
    [image=http://failfitting.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/vader-fail1.jpg]

18. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

That was one of the biggest disappointments for me. It could have been great, but the product just didn't match up with the rest of the commercial at all.

19. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/eethit/brody.jpg]

20. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    The yoghurt one where the girl headbutts the guy was one of my favourites.

21. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    They got you remembering the product, which is the point of a commercial...so mission accomplished!

22. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, I'm always perplexed by arguments over the quality of the various ads, as if they have some sort of artistic merit. They're calculated to sell you product. Why should someone be disappointed over the quality of the Ferris Bueller ad? You should be disappointed it exists in the first place.

And Tunick, sport has traditionally been a celebration of human athleticism. Modern franchised sport is a celebration of human excess. The advertisements, the salaries, the merchandise, and everything else have shifted the emphasis of sport away from athleticism and into commerce. Why should the member of a prosports team make more in a year than many Americans do in their entire lives? What are they really adding to the proceedings. Athletes should play for the love of the game, not for financial rewards.

I was simultaneously disgusted and amused that the MVP award was a Corvette. Disgusted because "hey more advertising" amused because "like Eli Manning couldn't afford one if he wanted it?"

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, it would be awesome if sports were free and no one involved made any money. the same could be said for movies or any other form of entertainment. why should actors be paid millions of dollars? where is their integrity? shouldn't they just act for the love of their craft?

i agree that the commercialization of sports robs them of some integrity, but the fact is that it is a big business. the owners of teams make billions and proposing that they don't share that revenue with the players, you know the people who actually provide the product, often permanently damaging their brains and bodies in the process doesn't seem like a very awesome solution. just let the guys who were already rich enough to buy a pro football team keep all the money!

24. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    "the guy"????
    You're ****ing kidding me, right?
    Show John Stamos some goddam respect!
    Also, that chick made my testicles tingle. I need to find out who she is.

25. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I remember the brand that was in the commercial because it was shown in the commercial. It doesn't mean I remember the product--often the product is not even shown, as in the Volkswagon commercial I mentioned. And I'm certainly not about to go out and buy a Beetle now, or a bag of chips.