VIDEO Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Uncle_Owen_Kenobi, May 9, 2006.

1. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Looks like Mario 128 has been replaced. Trailer and screens should be up soon. From the gameplay looks like a mix between Starfox flying on rails and some platforming. Obviously like Zelda will probably be the showcase game to fully show what the Wiimote is capable of.

Basic game info.

The title of the game is a reference to the fact that, apparently, Super Mario Galaxy will take the series into space. Some of Mario's new abilities will have him literally swimming through space to his next destination. We caught brief glimpses of this and although it seemed unusual, it captured the whimsical spirit of the series. We also saw glimpses of Mario getting bombarded by angry Bullet Bills, and taking on a large, fiery octopus boss. Nintendo also stated that players would be able to make Mario bat away objects by using the Wii remote. What's more, the game looks like it's going to play with the player's sense of direction not just by making the rotund plumber travel through space, but also by running around the surface of curved planetoids and more.
  2. Flames Force Ghost

star 2
    Cool :cool: Just what I want!
    Though it sucks that you need the control stick attachment to control it. I was hoping for a Mario game that would utilize the remote to its full extent :(

Super Mario rules
    /Flames
  3. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    The left hand uses the stick to control movement while the Wiimote is used to swing and bat away objects, I'm guessing. Pretty much the same way games are played now. With the exception of you using your right arm instead of your right thumb on the analogue stick.
  4. Flames Force Ghost

star 2
    Yeah, I know. I was hoping for more innovation, more daring moves, more REVOLUTION....

Wii - it should be much more
    /Flames
  5. ziontempo Jedi Knight

6. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

I anticipated they'd do a space variant Mario a decade ago. They're . . . late. :rolleyes:
  7. Flames Force Ghost

star 2
    I hope the game keeps this title, because it gives me the same kind of feeling that "Super Mario World" gave me the first time I read about it. The world of Super Mario seems to become much bigger than before.

BTW, Excellence: You're right, this should've happened a long time ago. This is the first time in 10 years that they take the series to a new level.

SMG - nice abbreviation
    /Flames
  8. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Some movies. Wish they would have a movie that shows how the controller is working alongside the footage.

Trailer.

Gameplay.
  9. Flames Force Ghost

star 2
    Nice :)

Shake it!
    /Flames
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Supposedly they are looking into ways to allow 3 other players to participate in the game- eitehr working for or against Mario.

I'm hoping for against- yet another scenario where the Wii will result in outbreaks of physical violence amongst friends and family. [face_devil]
  11. ziontempo Jedi Knight

lol...wow,, that wud be wickedd...multiplayer mario
  12. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    We disagree on EU, but it's nice to know Quest and I see eye-to-eye on Nintendo :p

Wii, it's for lovers.

Err, and by 'lovers' I naturally mean online personalities bereft of homoerotica. [face_worried]
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  14. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Didn't Mario go to space in Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins for the Game Boy?

Still, this looks to be on a much larger scale. I can't wait. :)
  15. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, he did. I still have that game.:)
  16. Flames Force Ghost

star 2
    I don't think the game concept was highly affected by Mario going to space in SML2, though. In SMG, the whole concept seems to be based on it, which makes it drastically different from the earlier titles. The jump from Sunshine to Galaxy won't be like SMW to SM64, of course, but maybe like SMB to SMB3.

EDIT: I would be very happy if SMG turned out to have multiplayer options. It's been so lonely playing Super Mario games since SMW :(

BRING LUIGI BACK, NINTENDO(not really counting SM64DS)!

Galaxies - they are spacy
    /Flames
  17. ziontempo Jedi Knight

5up3r m4r10 64|4xy 0wn50rz... 1 4m |337 m4573r 0f 7h3 un1v3r53....5p0r3 ru|35 4nd 7h3r3 15n07h1n6 y0u (4n d0 480u7 17..|0|...50rry, 1 4m ju57 r34||y r34||y 80r3d....1 h473 wh3n p30p|3 74|k |1k3 7h15...1 ju57 w4n7 70 4nn0y 50m3 p30p|3 4nd 533 1f 7h3r3 4r3 07h3r p30p|3 wh0 74|k |1k3 7h15...|0|...|473r...0rz
  18. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [face_plain]

Anyhow, I think this game looks great, and appears to really work well with the Wiimote motion sensing concept. Wonder what the story will be like... [face_thinking]
  19. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Bowser is somehow threatening the Mushroom Galaxy or somesuch. Peach may or may not be involved as a kidnap victim.
  20. Flames Force Ghost

star 2
    Nah, I think the Mushroom Galaxy is invaded by the Goomban Vong!

Goombas - they're wicked
    /Flames
  21. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If that's true, will Mario come out of this thinking there is no Koopa side after hanging out with a demented koopa troopa?
    Will Princess Peach lead Toad along on romantic possibilities and skate on the darkside?
    Will Luigi be killed?
    Will a scene ripping off LotR:FotR be considered uber awesome and original by the fans?
    WILL YOSHI BE CRUSHED BY A SMALL MOON!!?? :eek: :_|
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It's very neat to hear them using the SMB1 "flagpole" fanfare when Mario recovers a star in SMG.
  23. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

What's a Wii?

I'll be honst with you: I've not played a new Mario since SNES. The Yoshi sequel was so stupid and immature, I returned the hire. And from what I've seen, they all look pretty childish, like that controversial Winder Waker Zelda game. That's how they were, you oculd say . . . but they seem to be more so now than before. I feel excluded, in a way, though not offended. I understand the key marketing tactic of assaulting and hooking kids to your game, they'll buy more longer than a full age adult.
  24. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Man, you are just filled with stupid.

And about Wind Waker.
    [image=http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9505/shutit0tx.jpg]
  25. LordSilvertouch Force Ghost

star 4
    Wind Waker was only controversial until it was released. Then suddenly everyone shut up when they realised how good it was. It's funny how people only remember the things they were right about, not the wrong, or everyone would be willing to give Nintendo a chance, and maybe start buying "more longer" like their kids :p