VIDEO Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Uncle_Owen_Kenobi, May 9, 2006.

1. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Acknowelged, noted, filed and paper shredded. Now, what's a Wii, please?

Never mind, found it myself:

Introducing... Wii.
    As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.
  2. ziontempo Jedi Knight

if nintendo is about reaching to all gamers and non-gamers, they should make matures games as well..or at least MORE of them...i will be buying the wii, because it will be the cheapest console, but im kinda tired of mario, zelda and samus now...reallly....just come out with some new games please...
  3. -RebelScum- Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't know why, but I'm pumped about this game even more then any other Wii game other then perhaps Brawl or the Wii version of Twilight Princess.

-The Scummy-
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Zion- Nintendo's got Project H.A.M.M.E.R. and Disaster: Day of Crisis at the very least for some new, more mature, titles.
  5. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    That Disaster: Day of Crisis certainly looks interesting. Ah well everyone knows that mature games are for 14 years old kids who get e-orgasm from blood, gore and violence :p
  6. ziontempo Jedi Knight

i do not kno wat an "e-gasm" is...but disaster: day of crisis looks cool...but project h.a.m.m.e.r. looks not so good...i guess wat i mean is it should hav more REALISTIC games...most of their games are fanstasical...
  7. Richard-Drahcir Force Ghost

star 3
    Yep but Super Mario Land 2 wasn't the only space Mario game either. There was Paper Mario - The Thousand Year Door too. That included some space parts.

This game looks really good. It's a shame it won't be a launch title, which will be unusual for a Nintendo console and Mario game but hopefully the delay will do what Zelda - Twilight Princess looks like doing.
    I look forward to the space concept, am glad it's a new experience and glad that it's supposed to be Mario going back to his roots as they say.
    I haven't played much of Mario Sunshine yet. Only a few levels. Hopefully that will give me something to do so that when I buy this game I can appreciate the change between the games.
  8. The_Last_Gunslinger Jedi Knight

star 1

Mario Sunshine wasn't a launch title for GC was it? Seemed like it came out quite a few months after the fact.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Sunshine was a year or two after the GCN alunch- late 2002 or mid 2003 I think.

>> I haven't played much of Mario Sunshine yet. Only a few levels. Hopefully that will give me something to do so that when I buy this game I can appreciate the change between the games<<

Definitely keep going- the later levels and abilities are some of the best Mario levels you'll find, especially those sadistic retro "bonus" levels.
  10. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    Quest is right. Sunshine came out in summer of 2002, if I recall correctly. At least I remember seeing a trailer that announced that as the release date.
  11. Richard-Drahcir Force Ghost

star 3
    Oh okay then. Didn't realise that. Thanks for saying.
    So what Mario games launched with its consoles? I don't wanna take random guesses again in case I'm wrong, e.g. Mario World may not have launched with SNES.
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    SMB1 launched with the NES as a pack-in, Super Mario World launched as an SNES pack-in, Mario 64 was an N64 launch title and I'm pretty sure Super Mario Land launched alongside the Game Boy.

If you want to count it, Super Mario Advance: SMB2 launched with the GBA and I think Super Mario Deluxe launched alongside the Game Boy Color.
  13. Richard-Drahcir Force Ghost

star 3
    Okay that sounds very accurate.
    You're probably right about Mario Deluxe. I got that as soon as I got my GBC and I think that it was very soon after the console launched.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Super Mario Galaxy Co-Op Mode Detailed

It's not the cooperative mode featuring Luigi that most of the gamers following the development of Wii's upcoming Super Mario Galaxy were clamoring for, but Nintendo has finally spilled the beans on exactly how Player Twos across the globe will be assisting the mustachioed plumber in his greatest adventure yet.

Nintendo's description of Galaxy's multiplayer mode appears to put a second gamer in charge of aiding Mario's quest by "pointing at and collecting bits of stardust, then launching them at enemies" with the Wii Remote. The web site also mentions the second player assisting Mario by way of waving off projectiles headed towards him and keeping enemies busy until Mario is ready to deal with them.

It doesn't appear that the second player will be in control of any particular character, but will rather merely act as some sort of unseen force making Mario's journey across the galaxies a little easier. Nintendojo will have more on Super Mario Galaxy as it gets closer to its November 12 release date in the United States.

I was really hoping they'd implement the "player two works against player 1's efforts" mode they had suggested earlier. But I suppose Nintendo already puts out too many games that inspire violence amongst friends (Mario Party and Mario Kart, I'm looking at you). ;)
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    BTW, going by the videos, we now have a new Mario form- Bee Mario. I believe this is his first new animal form since SMB3, IIRC.

EDIT- Whoops, forgot about Bunny Mario in SML2.
  16. Bodknocks Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes! Bee Mario looks great, and I hope there are many more costumes to come. This is shaping up to be the best 3D Mario game, IMO.
  17. deltron_zero Force Ghost

star 6
    i agree. watching that footage got me pretty psyched.
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Reminds me that I need to finish Sunshine sometime soon (and, seeing as it's the perfect game to play in the summer, I think I'll line it up right after I (hopefully) finish Metroid Prime 2.
  19. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    Mario Galaxy looks pretty good to me. It looks... imagine this... FUN to play.
  20. The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Knight

star 3
    Looks like if you beat the game a second time after collecting all 120 stars and completing all purple coin objectives, you can then replay the game playing as Luigi- who has maintained his SMB2 attributes of longer jumps, a faster run but worse stopping ability than Mario, which apparently makes the game much much harder.
  21. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Famitsu gave it a 38/40.

I played a few minutes in Gamestop yesterday, and it's very nice. Once you learn to keep your Wiimote cursor focused on the screen at all times, you're good to go. I couldn't seem to get off the island/planetoid I was on, but then again, I'm not very smart.

Love the clean, polished look, and the fruity day-glow star effects. Also, the opening cut scene brings back the ominous "Airship" theme from Super Mario Bros. 3.

If you've got $40 worth of used games lying around, Gamestop/EB are offering a 20% trade-in bonus for Galaxy.
  22. Renzo Jedi Knight

That just made my day. Awesome!
  23. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    9.7 from IGN, average of 96% on Game Rankings (currently).
  24. Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Master

star 2
    It got a 9.5 at Gamespot.
    I will get this game when it comes out.
  25. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So according to Gamespot

Mario Galaxy = Halo 3

According to IGN

Mario Galaxy > Halo 3

Yet people still claim nothing good comes out for the Wii... interesting.

Edit:

Gamerankings.com gave Halo 3 a conglomerate score of 93%.

Mario galaxy? Sitting at 96.9%