main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Well, the reviews are coming in, and they all pretty much say the same thing: the game is excellent. For instance, GI magazine gave it a 9.75 out of 10, with only two games getting the that grade or higher (Tony Hawk, Metal Gear: Solid, respectively).

The only complaints I've heard are that the camera system is crap. If it's anything like the Mario 64 camera, I will be disappointed. That single-handedly ruined Mario 64 for me. I got so damn frustrated by that thing, I felt like strangling my landlord.

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    But the pic was displaying a box saying you could remotely link to Gamers.com.

Yeah, so I went to Gamers.com and found the news about the new Final Fantasy series on the Cube. Thanks Nail.

3. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    When does it come out... Monday???

4. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Well it ships on Monday.

5. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Some stores might have it Monday, but most won't have it till Tuesday or Wednesday.

6. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    I already pre-ordered my copy.

7. neeldawg66

Mar 21, 2002
    Yeah, I got it preordered too.

8. Chamby_X

Chamby_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Being a Nintendo Loyalist, any new Mario game is a huge event for me :). I'm looking forward to this game as much as you guys are, I'd of pre-ordered to but don't have the money to spend right now. It's Miyamoto, so I have no doubt it's excellent. I'll be getting it and tossing it in the old cube as soon as possible.

9. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    >Some stores might have it Monday...<

Like which?

10. neeldawg66

Mar 21, 2002
    Sometimes EB and Gamespot get there shipments early. It all depends on how good a company's distribution system is. The best bet is too just call around to all the local stores that sell videogames. You should be able to find one that gets their copies of SMS on Monday.

11. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    will we ever see mario make a pizza? afterall he is italian isnt he?

12. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Yeah, and I wish Duke Nukem' would make me hotdogs. And Onimusha (thats the name of the ninja guy right) would make sushi. Oh, and I wish...never mind. [face_plain]

13. neeldawg66

Mar 21, 2002
    Anyone get the U.S. copy yet? I keep calling my EB but its goda** busy!!!!!!!!! :mad:

UPDATE
    Just got through, won't be in till tommorow.

:_|

14. anakin85

anakin85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Same with me. I reserved it but it won't be in till tommorow. Anyone know if you are supposed to get something for reserving it. I heard you get a towel.

15. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    keep me updated ;)

16. neeldawg66

Mar 21, 2002
    Never heard about the towel thing before. Where did you pre-order it from, anakin85?

17. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    I've had this game since yesterday afternoon (local video store were geeky enough to drive themselves to the airport to get copies for those that preordered).

It's a fun, fun game. My only gripes are the camera controls aren't the best (especially when something obstructs your view of Mario), some of the textures seem kind of low res, but my biggest gripe is that Fludd (the waterpack) actually talks to you and has the most annoying voice of all the characters (yes, ALL of them). On top of that, he won't shut up. If he's given you a tip 1,000 times already, he'll keep doing it even if you've been to that area 1,000 times before and proven you know what you're doing.

But despite that, it really is a great game. The water effects are amazing, especially how the ocean looks (those waves and the light refraction ROCK!). It really is one of the funnest, if not the funnest, Mario games I've played (and I've been playin' em since 1986).

-Jomero

18. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Does the towel talk too? Does it ask you if you wanna get high?

19. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Yesterday I went to EBX to pick it up. They said they could only sell copies to people who pre-ordered. So I ordered mine and I'll it tomorrow, but meh. Nintendo's marketing sucks.

20. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Scratch that. They just got mine in. ;)

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Picked it up today, went home, popped it in, found out my memory card was full, went back to the store, got that new high capacity memory card, went home and gave it a whirl.

It is essentially Super Mario 64-Evolved. At least in overall controls and style. The music is a really good mix of new and classic tunes. The camera control isn't too bad- at least they give you a shadow fo stuff being blocked by the camera view to help you along. F.L.U.D.D. 's controls are pretty good, i particularly like the water-propulsion detail- a nice touch. Oh, and FLUDD's voice isn't really annoying.

The backflip jump and pole/tree climbing abilities are a little missed from SM64, but not a fatal problem.

Haven't gotten to explore too much, but I just got to the somewhat-tricky harbor stage, so the game is certainly challenging.

How I'll find the time to play this and continue Eternal Darkness, I have no idea- and thats a good thing!::)

22. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    You can backflip and climp trees in the game. For those big palms, you have to grab them up a little higher than the base (base is too wide). And to backflip, start to spray water with the R button and then immediately pull away and jump.

-Jomero

23. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    F.L.O.O.D.

24. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Hey guys, I'm getting mine from Best Buy because then I get a $25 gift card in the mail if I do. That means I'm only paying $24.99. Sweet. They said they'll have it tommorow. Oh well, one more day.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    F.L.O.O.D.

Nope, his name is FLUDD.