VIDEO Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Uncle_Owen_Kenobi, May 9, 2006.

1. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    [image=http://five-hole.com/images/trudeal.jpg]

...Huh.

The reviews for this thing are ridiculously enthusiastic:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/supermariogalaxy

I did read somewhere yesterday that you only get the gift card if you buy after 5 PM on Tuesday. Kinda weird, but I believe the GC deal is "while supplies last." I imagine they'll give out the cards with as many copies of SMG as they have to sell within the first week.

Go do a pre-order, and you should be cool. (Though I've already gone through GameSpot for mine. So I'm SOL on the gift card.)
  2. Master-Fett Force Ghost

star 6
    [face_plain]

First off..... Halo 3 has been out two months longer than galaxy. any conglomerate score is going to be skewed in Galaxy's favor because it doesn't have as many sources.

Secondly, Apples and Oranges. You can't compare a shooter to a family friendly action game like that. They're both spectacular games.... just not similar....
  3. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Didn't Microsoft though claim that Halo 3 was "the best game ever" and nothing would ever compare to it? It also would be the "best selling game of all time" despite the fact that it would have to sell at least 4 copies to every single XBOX 360 owner to beat the best selling game of all time, which lo and behold happens to be Super Mario Bros (at 42 million).
  4. deltron_zero Force Ghost

star 6
    eh, halo 3 is a cool game but not really any better than halo 2. i have to admit i play my 360 a lot more than my wii these days, hoping galaxy will change that at least for a while.
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I thought SMB3 held the record for top selling title?
  6. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Top 20 console games of all time (according to Wikipedia

The 20 best selling console games, not originally bundled.
    1. Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (Game Boy - 20.08 million approximately, 10.23 million in Japan,[32] 9.85 million in US)[37]
    2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 - 20 million)[81]
    3. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES - 18 million)[29]
    4. Nintendogs (DS - 15.77 million)[54]
    5. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2 - 15 million)[81]
    6. Pokémon Gold and Silver (Game Boy - 14.51 million approximately, 7.6 million in US,[37] 6.91 million in Japan)[32]
    7. Super Mario Land (Game Boy - 14 million)[29]
    8. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (GBA - 13 million)[59]
    9. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS - 12.17 million)[53]
    10. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2 - 12 million)[81]
    11. New Super Mario Bros. (DS - 11.5 million)[54]
    12. Super Mario 64 (N64 - 11 million)[32]
    Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 - 11 million)[70]
    14. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (GBA - 10.66 million)[50]
    15. Gran Turismo (PS1 - 10.5 million)[70]
    16. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES - 10 million)[29]
    17. Final Fantasy VII (PS1 - 9.8 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)[71]
    18. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (DS - 9.66 million)[54]
    19. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2 - 8.79 million)[82]
    20. Gran Turismo 2 (PS1 - 8.5 million)[70]

[edit] Bundled games

Games that were originally bundled at launch and have sold one million copies or more.

* Super Mario Bros. (NES - 40.23 million)[28]
    * Tetris (Game Boy - 33 million)[58]
    * Super Mario World (SNES - 17 million)[29]
    * Wii Sports (11.86 million)[54] (packaged with system in all regions except Japan)

7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    That's interesting (well, outside of Pokemon, I don't think it's fair to group all three titles together like that) how that's changed in only about a year's time, going by the one list published by, I think, Game Informer within that timeframe.
  8. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    A lot of folks apparently aren't preordering, in case there's some kind of crazy shipping mishap. Many of them plan on just being able to walk in to EB Tuesday morning, and take one off the giant pile they will probably have. Hopefully it's the kind of thing where they have already received the shipment, and they're simply sitting on it until release day.

This looks like it will be the first real Mario game in 11 years. Sunshine was half-great/half-frustrating, NSMB was a nice throwback-remix, but this is the real deal. I am ****ing psyched.
  9. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If a lot of people aren't preordering, then you won't find it in GS/EB. They don't buy games unless they are preordered.

I once got in an arguement with a GS employee when he couldn't accept that I would never preorder from their store. I basically told him "When you actually carry new stock in your stores, I'll buy new games from you." GS/EB is nothing more than a game only pawn shop.
  10. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    If you pick it up at TRU on Tuesday you get a free 25 dollar gift card.
  11. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    I find plenty of new games at my local GS on the day they're released. Not the super popular ones, obviously, but I was still able to get The Orange Box, The Simpsons Game and Bioshock on the day of release without preordering.
  12. deltron_zero Force Ghost

star 6
    picked up my copy today, and had exactly ten minutes to play it before i had to come to work. lame!
  13. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Got this yesterday afternoon (don't ask how...), and holy crap, is it a blast. I'm also shocked at how well the Wii controls work. They've been known to be a hinderance in other games, but here they seem to work perfectly.

Hope you don't get motion-sick though, because there are some dizzying levels in here.

Interesting:

[image=http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/Overlord1317/1974125354_08ea47e5af.jpg]

Take note that they did a "Mario retrospective," though, in which all of those games were hyperlinked.
  14. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It also says on the tab in the pic that it is for Wii-related stuff only.
  15. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Stopped by GameStop today to check and see if Assassin's Creed was in (having already picked this one up yesterday), and there was a line coiled around the bottom floor like a crazy chain of dominoes, all waiting for Galaxy. Wasn't too bad, except for all the pompous-douchebag Michigan Avenue crowd and their snotty rugrats.

Without having listened to it all, this has to be the best music in a Mario game since Super Mario World. The music in the first world is pure ****ing magic.

Kondo-san, please make the soundtrack available.

It's times like this I wish the Wii could output at least at 720p. The nicest-looking game on the system so far.
  16. Bodknocks Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah, the soundtrack has really taken me by surprise. I was fully prepared to become immersed in this game, but somehow I didn't even consider how great the music was going to be.
  17. MidnightRain Jedi Master

star 4
    This game is absolutely amazing. Got my copy and pre-order coin this morning, and I am beyond happy with it.
  18. Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Master

star 2
    I think I will be getting this game today.:D
  19. Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Master

star 4
    I need to pick this game up. I planned on getting it Monday, when it came out, but I've been sick since last Friday and haven't had the time. I preorded Galaxy a while back, and I'm hoping to get it either today or tomorrow. So far I've only heard good things about it.
  20. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Wow, this game is just a ton of fun.

Pretty generous with the 1-ups, though. I'm only 20 stars in, and I've already got over 70 lives. Either that, or I'm just SO AWESOME.

But holy frak, my head hurts. This is some disorienting ****. I had to turn it off after the first "Good Egg" star. It only gets worse. Stock up on Dramamine.

Has anyone else gotten through the bonus "Sling Shot Galaxy" yet? That is some sadistic, maddening stuff right there. I thought I was going to rip my hair out after the tenth time of attempting to slingshot myself to the next rock, missing the mark just slightly, and jettisoning off into space. Argh.
  21. Bodknocks Jedi Knight

star 2
    Did the slingshot galaxy earlier. If it helps, you can take out those mines with your starbits. That part where you have to sling Mario through the flames spinning opposite directions was pretty rough, but once you're past that you're home free.
  22. Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Master

star 2
    I got the game! I hope to play it soon!:D
  23. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    I finally found something to bitch about: Spring Mario. Totally obnoxious to control. A good idea that just isn't any fun to play.

And the Luigi missions are kind of disappointing, too. The whole point of having to track him down is kind of lost when the level-select screen shows you exactly where he's hiding.

Those "Daredevil Run" challenges are a bastard. Especially the "Bouldergeist" one. That one was pissing me off so bad last night.

**** that stupid ghost.
  24. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hey guys, can we keep the spoilers down a little? Some of us have yet to get the game. :p

Please use highlight to read protocols by highlighting spoilers in black. Thanks/
  25. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    This game looks really good, but I fear that this is really the start of a trend in which the only games to really take advantage of the Wii and it's controls will be the in-house big blockbuster titles, and all the third party games will be either crappy or non-existant.... [face_worried]