VIDEO Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Uncle_Owen_Kenobi, May 9, 2006.

1. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Zak and Wiki.

Umbrella Chronicles

Godfather: red hand version
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Seems a 2-disc set is being put out to Club nintendo members in Japan. Hopefully we'll see an import or similar release here.
  3. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Endless Ocean.

Not out in the US until Jan 2008 but it's a wonderful little game and incredibly easy to control, really smart use of the remote.

JB
  4. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    I've got an idea for one of those "Wii would like to play!" commercials -- where the Japanese guys show up at a nursing home, and give Mario Galaxy to a bunch of old people.

And then, they boot up the "Green Trial Galaxies," and the rest of the commercial is just old people sobbing brokenly.
  5. Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Master

star 4
    Just finished Galaxy. Not with 100% completion (all Stars and such) mind you; I aim to attack that task in a bit. Overall though, I enjoyed the game a lot. I mean, it's Mario in space, what's not to like? One thing I must say (without spoiling anything) is that the final boss battle is excellent. That might've been the highlight of the game for me. The battle itself, the music track behind it, and the final level leading up to the battle were all great. In short, it's a great ending to a great game.
  6. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Just nabbed #120 myself.

I'm kind of annoyed that the only way to get Star #121 is to play through the game AGAIN as Luigi, but it sounds like the final stage is just another Purple Coin hunt in the Mushroom Kingdom (the level at the very beginning of the game), so **** that.

Great game, though. It's easily the best reason to own a Wii.
  7. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I finally got it this weekend. Not too far in (14 stars). My wife is about the same level; I'm Co-Star playing with her.
  8. smauldookie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This is by far the best game on the Wii and the best Mario game EVER!!!
    [face_cowboy] Thank you, Nintendo.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Only have had time to play through to the first non-grand star (beating the Piranha), but a couple first impressions:

-Nice touch in the intro video with the return of both Bowser's airships AND the associated SMB3 music for them.

-The music, in general, is quite epic and "magical". In fact, I feel like I'm playing a game with the soundtrack from a Disney theme park electric light parade.

-Controls, so far, have been pretty smooth, and while the camera has been pretty intelligent so far, I REALLY miss the direct camera control ability from Sunshine, as there are times where the camera is just not in the position (or orientation, for that matter) that I'd prefer. It'd also make it easier to enjoy the view of the environments more.

-That said, it definitely throws you into the platformer elements earlier on than in Sunshine, which is a good thing.

Also, is there anyway to do Mario's belly slide in this game? Or is that not something you can do until later in the game? (kinda like how you don't get the spinning jump until after you leave the Mushroom Kingdom)
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    A couple more stars later, I must say that the inverted gravity of some of these worlds cracks me up while playing cause they kinda freak me out a little- it's playing off all the fears of any Mario skill by encouraging people to casually walk over the edge of something, lol!

Some creative bits so far though- I like the varying gravity pull areas inside the jar atrea early on.
  11. WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I know, there's one level that the ground shoot up just as you're in front of it and vanishes as you walk alway. Even though I knew it was going to pop up, it was still pretty freaky.

And I don't know about you guys but I can only play about a level at a time. The first day I got it (along with my Wii), I played it so much that I got a pretty bad (motion sickness) headache.
  12. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Man, this is easily one of the greatest games I've ever played.
    I even found sitting and watching someone else playing (for about 4 hours) enchanting.
    And then we realized that there was a 2 player mode, braaaaar, awesometimes.

Unlike any number of current favorites which I won't mention, there's absolutely nothing I can think wrong with it, or worthy of complaint.
  13. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    I like it, but it seems a little linear, and the worlds small. But I'm only a few galexies in.
  14. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I. Love. This. Game.

I'm only one galaxy in (just finished the boss battle against that Piranha thing with the balled tail), and I absolutely adore it. Though like someone said earlier, it does start to make me a little queasy after a while, which is why I'm not still playing it.

Loved the intro video with Bowser and Peach. Forget taking just the princess, let's kidnap the entire castle! [face_skull] :p
  15. Darth_Pogey Force Ghost

star 4
    Well I just got a wii and this game. Ive gotten 20 stars so far and I can say its one of the best games ive ever played and certainly the best platformer. BTW can anyone recommend some good wii games?
  16. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, I thought this was a good game. Hell, for the first few hours, it was one of the best I'd ever played. And then new gameplay features were added that simply didn't work, the difficulty ramped up to an insane level (honestly, this is not a game for children), the camera got more and more screwy... I actually dislike this game, and would give it a 4/10 without hesitation.

As for good Wii games, Pogey, the only other Wii game I've played besides SMG is Super Paper Mario, which I am very happy with. You should check that one out.
  17. roxez Jedi Knight

star 3
    Good wii games:

Zack and Wiki
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Guitar Hero III (If you don't have it for another system already)
    No More Heroes (more hit and miss, I suggest renting first)
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (I think worth it even if you have/had RE4 for the GCN)
    Super Paper Mario
    Trauma Center: Second Opinion

All of these games received at least 80% cumulative scores on gamerankings.com, and I own all of them (and several more)
  18. Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Master

star 4
    New gameplay features? I'm guessing you're referring to Spring Mario, Ice Mario, flying, etc, correct? I personally liked all of those power-ups. The controls for each were very smooth and easy to get the hang of. Overall I think they only added to the game, though that may be more of an opinion.

As for the difficulty level, I think Galaxy did an excellent job of conforming to both "hardcore" and "casual" gamers. It was only mildly difficult (even easy) to get the 60 stars needed to travel to the center of the universe, and the designers were very generous with the 1-ups. Going further to hunt for all 120 stars (with Mario, and then with Luigi) is optional. There were some insane levels (a few Purple Coin hunts, Lava Spire Daredevil Run, etc.), though that's where the game appeals to the "higher level" gamers. Those levels were frustrating, though fun at the same time, and the feeling of accomplishment after completing those levels was awesome.

Lastly, Galaxy is praised on the intelligence of its camera. Save a few levels here and there, the camera angle was perfect. I'm not sure what you're talking about really. If you could explain I might be able to clarify.

Then there's overall gameplay, level design, soundtrack, general controls, and the co-op feature, all of which Galaxy is highly praised for.

If you didn't like it, it's probably opinion-based (which is fine), because Galaxy is by no means a bad game (from a general standpoint).
  19. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    I really need to put more time into this game.
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The face of Fear:

[image=http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2008/03/thumb463x_realmario.jpg]
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Bump! SMG2 is now out (to my surprise- I didn't think it would be out so soon).

I'll personally be holding off on getting it, as I have only scratched the surface of the first game (and haven't even picked up NSMBW yet), but hopefully by year's end.
  22. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I love reading old posts of mine that make me cringe. :p 4/10? What a loser.
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    What would you give it now, in your more enlightened, elderly state? ;)
  24. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    It's been a while since I picked it up, but I'd have to say a solid 9.5 from what I remember. It's my favorite 3D platformer of all-time (my favorite 2D platformer being Super Mario World, which coincidentally is my favorite game, period). The 4/10 was obviously given out of frustration. I can be a perfectionist at times, and for some reason I just had to get every star in the game which clearly wasn't an easy task. I imagine I'll have similar difficulties when I pick up the sequel, which I hear is even more frustrating. So if I come in here one day ranting about how it's the worst game I've played in years and I give it a 2/10, please ignore me. It's just how I show my love. :p
  25. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    No doubt- I have the same drive for a Mario game. It's one reason why I'm still playing Super Mario Sunshine- I need to find all those damn blue coins (despite the fact that I'm seemingly missing one in Noki Bay that doesn't exist, despite what the walkthroughs show me). No doubt I'll be the same with SMG1 & 2.