VIDEO Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Uncle_Owen_Kenobi, May 9, 2006.

1. tom Chosen One

star 6
    only played through world 1 on smg2, but i am loving it so far.
  2. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    SMG 2 Spoilers

So I collected all 120 stars and I collected all 120 green stars as well.

I unlocked The Grandmaster Universe, and then read that I needed to collect 9999 star bits to get the final star. In doing so, it opened up 'The Perfect Run' level. O...M...G! It is nuts how it is hard! There are no flags to save your progress if you die, and you have one bar of energy. It's darn near impossible. I watched videos on youtube to see if it could be done, and people have done it, so I haven't given up hope. You can't make one mistake...ugh! Has anyone here completed the game and gotten the 242 star?
  3. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Man, Nintendo wasn't kidding when they said they upped the challenge level in SMG2. I had trouble getting to world two.
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Alright, I'm 19 stars in now on Galaxy 1, which I believe is further than i got on my initial save file that I lost when my Wii crashed a few years back.

All my initial comments still stand- amazing music, the omnigravity still ****s with your head in that it goes against every ingrained instinct one has for a Mario game, controls are good (though I miss the belly slide).

I still REALLY miss the constant direct camera control from Sunshine though- not only would I like to tweak the camera angles every now and then (though they are admittedly pretty good most of the time), but sometimes I'd just like to take a look around at the world (and maybe spot some hidden items).

However, granted, there's not always that much to look around at- this game definitely follows Mario 64's mini-worlds-floating-in-a-void platforming level designs rather than Sunshine's massive "functional" environments. As such, there's less incentive to explore the level itself (as things are very linear), which is a shame as that was one of Sunshine's most endearing features.

It's not a problem, necessarily, as it evokes the classic default left-to-right designs of the 2D Mario games. But after playing Sunshine on and off for 6-8 years, I'd grown accustomed to that exploration aspect so it's taking me a bit of time to readjust.

Challenge wise, most of these stars so far have been pretty easy, but a few of the bonus galaxies have been tricky- that Slingshot Galaxy was particularly hard- though once I learned I had to aim slightly below my target to hit it instead of dead-on, I seemed to get a good handle on it. The check points and plentiful star bits for 1-ups actually had me earning more lives than I lost.

It's interesting that extra lives don't save, though. Still, 1-ups and starbits are plentiful enough that regaining them each save isn't difficult.

It is odd that the starbits are essentially the coins of this game, though. Regulating coins to life/high score almost makes them feel redundant.

Also, in the Battlerock Galaxy, for that bonus planet where you need to bomb the garbage for the droid- is there any particular trick there that I'm not seeing? I assume you're supposed to aim for the coin spots to maximize the bomb blastwaves, but I'm wondering if it's more than just my accuracy at work and that maybe there's a certain order you're supposed to hit to most efficiently use the bomb recycling pattern?
  5. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I thought this as well but I don't think it matters what order you do it in. Pretty much every time I beat those challenges I came within 1 or 2 seconds of losing so it's really just a matter of not making any mistakes. :p Also, don't worry about the difficulty....the hard stuff will come in due time.

I beat the game last year but only recently got the 120th star. Need to get to Galaxy 2 now!
  6. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Yes. It was ****ing hard. <-- Biggest understatement of my life.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Also, what's the deal with the comet stars? I see their silhouette listed on some galaxies, but IIRC there's different types of comets, right? Do you need certain ones to certain galaxies or just a particular one?

EDIT- Ok, I just did a Speed one and a Daredevil one- is there one for each comet for these types of galaxies?
  8. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    I assume you're talking about SMG 1, so here's an explanation from GameFAQs:
    "This is where you can learn more about Super Mario Galaxy's Comet's. They
    are also called, "Prankster Comets". You aren't able to start doing the first
    four comet missions until you have 12 stars. When you beat the final boss, you
    will be able to do purple comet missions. Each main galaxy has two comets
    that you will need to complete in order to get 120 stars. In each galaxy,
    only one comet can be in orbit at one time. Mini Galaxy's do not have comet
    missions. Comets will disappear if you ignore them, and only appear at random
    times. You can talk to the purple luma that Rosalina shows you after you have
    12 stars to move comets around. It will either remove all comets from
    orbiting in galaxies, remove some of them, or make some appear. To look at
    a comet's whereabouts, talk to the black luma, Polari, and he will show you
    a map that tells you which galaxies comets are in if they are in orbit."

So basically to answer your question it varies. Some galaxies have a purple comet and speed comet, some have daredevil and speed, some have daredevil and purple, etc.

Also annoyingly enough the comet stars are only available every other star you get, which makes it really annoying if you leave the comet stars for last.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Ugh, ok, I'll be sure to focus on those when I can.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Yeah, I always did comet stars as soon as they became available (not counting the purple comets of course).
  11. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    Congrats! I gave up a LONG time ago. (My personal best was killing two of the four hammer bros on the final platform.)
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    One last comet q- do the wrong comets ever orbit a galaxy? ie: if a galaxy doesn't have a speedster run star, will the speedster comet ever orbit it?
  13. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    I've never experienced that. That would be a major glitch if that ever happened.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I wasn't asking about it from a glitch POV but rather if they wanted you to cycle through the comets till a compatible one orbited a galaxy (thus enabling access to the associated star). Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case.
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Got 54 stars now, including two green ones. The Luigi rescue missions have been a fun element as well. Absolutely loved the Bouldergeist boss battle- that one took awhile for me to accomplish (until I figured out I could throw boo-bombs instead of just spinning them, which increased my range). Then I managed to do it on Daredevil Run, which was a satisfying victory,

I love Ice Mario's powers, though. The whole walk-on-water (including using waterfalls as wall jump surfaces) is quite clever. Fire Mario is fun (if only because I don't think we've had him in 3D yet) though I kinda wish it wasn't a time limited ability.

Really excellent level designs- though I still miss the world-to-explore aspect of Sunshine, the level themes have been great so far (love the ghost house one).

Nice mix of old and new so far as well- both with enemies (have we even seen those wrench-throwing moles since SMB3? Maybe SMBW?) and music (the SMB3 airship and SMB3 1-X music, the M64 Dark World music for the returning themes, the awesome Battlerock theme for the new stuff, even the quiet music for the ghost house).

Mario isn't as reactive/acrobatic as he was in Sunshine (it's much more difficult to link jump types or do a quick-reversal jump) but I suppose that lack of freeform movement adds precision for some of the gravity situations or something...still, even almost halfway through the game, I find myself missing some of the linked tricks I could get Mario to pull off in Sunshine.