VIDEO Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2015.

Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. Rew Jedi Master

star 4
    So since the Zelda series has its own thread, I figured Mario should too. I mean, there are already threads for specific Mario subseries like NSMB and Mario Kart, but nothing for the Mario franchise as a whole. I figure we can use this thread for general Super Mario discussion and for when news hits.

So, in the plumber's own words, here we go!

I just finished up Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and completed it 100%, including all Super Gems, all Bonus courses, including the infamous Mummy-Me Maze Forever, and completed all the time challenges for all the courses. Has anyone else played this one yet? Great little game, and after Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Super Mario 3D Land and World, and now Captain Toad, it seems like EAD Tokyo can truly do no wrong with the Mario series.

Here's hoping they're working on a Super Mario Galaxy U!

Anyway, what are your favorite Mario games, and which ones are you most looking forward to playing?
  2. kubricklynch Jedi Knight

star 3
    I beat Super Mario 3D World not too long ago, working on unlocking all the bonus levels. I'm curious about Captain Toad and New Super Mario Bros U, but they aren't that high on my list of games to get.
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  4. TrandoJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Although 3D platformers are my favorite genre of video game, Super Mario World is my favorite Mario game it is just so perfect in every way! Super Mario 64 I recently got a boxed copy of at a used game store and I enjoy playing it more than the DS version, the only version I had played previously (Banjo-Kazooie is till the best 3D platformer on the 64 tho).

I would like to see a Super Mario game with a big open world like Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie or Spyro were you just explore a world before heading into levels. SM64 only has the castle to explore and Super Mario Sunshine only had Isle Delfino I want much much more!
    Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001 Force Ghost

star 8
    What the hellllllllll....

TrandoJedi likes this.
  6. Ramza Administrator Emeritus

VIP
    star 7

God I hate glitch exploits.
  7. sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite and very underrated. The only other people I've seen that agrees with me is Danny from Game Grumps and my little brother.
    Last edited by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Jan 18, 2015
    Life, The2ndQuest and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
    I liked playing that game. Got a good ways into it but never finished it.
    sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Its right up there with Galaxy in my book loads of fun. I will never get why people didn't like it because the levels were "too grounded in reality." I like thinking that isle delfino exists as a somewhat realistic vacation resort in an otherwise trippy mushroom kingdom. Its really quite funny and refreshing.
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001 Force Ghost

star 8
    I really do wonder how the hell people find them in the first place.
    Last edited by Boba_Fett_2001, Jan 18, 2015
  11. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
    I've been meaning to get Galaxy for years. Just never got around to it. Sunshine has so many good moments and levels. .
  12. sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Galxay has lots of heart jerking amazing moments too (especially the music and immersive level design) Rosalina's story book is touching as well.. "The big 3" (64, sunshine, and galaxy) do amazing things. Imo NSMB and 3d land/world can't hold a candle to the "real 3d mario games". Birthday 2003 I got sunshine and Rogue Squadron 2 on Game Gube. Christmas of 2008 I got Galaxy on wii and Uncharted 1 on PS3, brings a tear to my eye thinking about the memories.
    Life and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm going to have to get it soon then. Also really enjoy the Gameboy Advance version of Super Mario World. The one that introduces Yoshi. Rogue Squadron 2 was fun as well. Hate the Kessel mission though. Also many fond memories of playing Smash Bros. Melee with my cousin and his friends.
    Life and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  14. sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Dude I loved Prisons of the Maw. :p I love the slow but sturdy Y-wings. I have never beaten an intense level like Endor in an A-wing.
    Last edited by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Jan 18, 2015
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. TrandoJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd like Galaxy more if I didn't have to point at the screen to do some stuff, I'd like to see a remaster with traditional controls down the line.
  16. Ramza Administrator Emeritus

VIP
    star 7
    For this specific glitch it was apparently discovered by tool-assist folks directly manipulating code. Then I think someone figured out that if you get the jumps right in the game proper it still works.
  17. Chancellor Yoda Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm fan of Mario games myself, I own Galaxies, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario land, Mario Kart Super Circuit and I guess Donkey Kong Country Returns would count too. Platformers are my favorite game genre, one main reason is because unlike some other genres, the game can't just rely on special graphics it has to have good game play. Also, they usually have a more upbeat and cartoon feel to them as I don't always need dark and gritty in my games, just for for them to be fun.
  18. PCCViking Force Ghost

star 9
    My favorite was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I was able to win it quite a few times. It's been a long time since I last played it.
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Sunshine will always be my favorite- it's the closest thing we've gotten to an open world Mario sandbox game what with its huge levels that encourage (and reward) exploration and having all the areas present a geographical relationship to one another made it feel like a cohesive world- and, yet, you still had those warp zone areas for targeted platforming challenges.

It felt like an evolution of SM64's playgrounds. Galaxy always felt like a step backwards by comparison- like they spun off the warp zone challenges into their own game. In that way, it kinda makes SMG feel like the Captain Toad to Sunshine's 3D World.

And on top of all that, Sunshine introduced some brilliant advances for the 3D platformer genre- with some of the FLUDD nozzles addressing issues like depth perception during jumps that predated SM64 or providing quicker level traversing (less of an issue in SMG because of the smaller, more linear levels).

The fact that they did something different by having more a story and a more original premise (unlike 3D World which somehow managed to have even less story than the NES games).
  20. Rew Jedi Master

star 4
    I figured now would be as good a time as any to bump this old thread and make it relevant again.

New Mario game coming out on the Switch: Super Mario Odyssey!

Also, has anyone here tried Paper Mario: Color Splash yet?
    darklordoftech likes this.
  21. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    I'm currently working through "Super Mario 3D World", having to go back and get the other green stars. Should have figured all of them were required to get into Bowser's castle. Finally finished NSMB for the DS, right before Christmas.
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Happy to see SMO following the SM64/SMS model (even though they're going for the variable world themes instead of a unified, singular world like SMS. Not necessarily a bad thing (as the different environments looks really fun) but I did like exploring a whole realm in detail).
  23. Nobody145 Jedi Master

star 5
    I always look forward to new Mario titles, but Odyssey looks really awesome. Might be my favorite Mario game since Galaxy. Its probably my most anticipated title, even more than Zelda.
    Last edited by Nobody145, Jan 16, 2017
  24. Rew Jedi Master

star 4
    This game is apparently going to be very immersive by Mario standards. ;)

[IMG]
    Last edited by Rew, Jan 16, 2017
  25. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm loving the idea of Mario in real-world city life. Obviously a whole game of it would be a disaster, but a level or two will be a really nice change and it should be super unique and fun if done right.

I've played all Mario games from the original to present, and I have to say to this day nothing beats Super Mario Bros 3 or Mario 64 for me. Sunshine and Galaxy were both fun and pretty to look at, but didn't have the impact on me like Mario 64 did. I played that game over and over growing up. Paper Mario has a special place in my heart too, along with Super Mario RPG even though I'm not a fan of turn based combat systems.

Ps. This can't be the only sole Mario thread in this forum, can it? That seems crazy.
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest