VIDEO Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2015.

Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. Rew Jedi Master

star 4
    There's a thread for Mario Maker levels, as well as one for the Mario Kart series. I also tried to make one for the Mario RPGs a couple years back. But this is the only thread (that I'm aware of) for the general Mario series.
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    This is a more recent Mario thread meant to be a general discussion thread. We have other threads dedicated to individual games and spin-off series. I had considered making one for Odyssey but it may make sense to keep things to a single thread now like we do for Zelda. However, if there's enough demand, we could give it its own thread. Folks can still use the existing threads for those games if they'd like, as well.

-Thank the (Mario) Maker!: Super Mario Maker Discussion & Level Sharing
    -There Will Be Blue Shells: Mario Kart (8)
    -One Toad Too Many: The New Super Mario Bros. Series
    -EUPHORIA, PURE EUPHORIA: The Super Mario Sunshine Discussion Thread
    -Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
    -"I can haz Fire Flower?": Super Mario 3D World (aka EUFURRIA! PURR EUFURRIA!)
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Jan 17, 2017
  3. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Just re-watched this trailer. Is it just me or does this game, specifically what looks like a Rain Forest level, look kinda Banjo-Kazooie'ish?
  4. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Kinda curious, I'm thinking of getting "Super Mario 64" for the VC, but what I want to know is which version is better to get? The N64 or the DS version? I know that the DS version got a lot of flack for not having a true analog stick, but I figure it wouldn't be an issue with the Wii U controllers having one built in. How vital is the analog stick to the game?
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I haven't played the DS version but the original used the analog stick extensively. That was its biggest innovation, really.

Having it sensitive enough to vary between tip toeing and running, or determining your jumping/vaulting direction, etc was important.
  6. Leoluca Randisi Jedi Master

star 5
    I just bought a Nintendo Classic for $13.00 and change today brand new from Amazon!!!!!!!!!
    PCCViking likes this.
  7. Rew Jedi Master

star 4
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    So, here's something interesting about Mario's outfits in the new Odyssey trailer:

[IMG]

All from relatively obscure Mario appearances: Picross 2, Mario x Qix, NES Open Tournament Golf (I think he had this outfit as an option in Smash 4, as well) and Yoshi's Cookie.

EDIT- Oh, and the trailer itself, for those who didn't catch it in the other thread:

Last edited by The2ndQuest, Jun 13, 2017
  9. themoth Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm pumped for Odyssey - it looks great. I love the fact it's a return to the style of Super Mario 64/Sunshine.
    darklordoftech likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I hope T-Rex Mario gets to fight Bowser. I would think of it as Movie Yoshi's Revenge.
  11. themoth Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the hat idea because it breathes new life into the series. It's both weird and fun, which is totally Mario.
    Last edited by themoth, Jun 13, 2017
    darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Nobody145 Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm pretty sure its just a coincidence, but, ah, its Doris, run for your lives! I doubt anyone would get that reference though. Actually I think Darkwing Duck had that alien hat idea too decades ago.

I really wish we could use the T-rex form against Bowser, but that would probably be too convenient. Funny how they say that other enemies will wear hats and you've got to knock them off first. Anyway, Odyssey looks really fun, definitely a must-buy. I hope it does well this holiday season.
    themoth likes this.
  13. Rew Jedi Master

star 4
    In addition to Odyssey (which looks amazing BTW), we also got an announcement about Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions. (I really need to finish playing the original one of these days.)

And one that really flew under the radar is the new Yoshi game Nintendo is planning to release next year. It looks very clever and altogether lovely!
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Other E3 Mario vids:

-Mario & Luigi Supersar Saga + Bowser Minions trailer:

-Game reveal & Treehouse demo:

-Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle:

-Treehouse demo:

-Odyssey Treehouse demo:

Kingdom Battle looks interesting- I never played X-Com, but the mechanics and world look solid. Already have a lot of turn-based games to play at the moment, though.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Jun 16, 2017
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  15. Reynar_Tedros Jedi Master

star 6
    Odyssey looks amazing, which I think surprises no one, but how fun does Kingdom Battle look? I can't wait to get my hands on that.
    themoth likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    And because it's just so darn catchy, the full theme song. Take it away, Pauline!

17. Nobody145 Jedi Master

star 5
    I hope Nintendo releases that song officially someday, its really nice and fun and perfectly symbolizes Odyssey's slight... quirkiness, even compared to the rest of the Mario games. If they do a special edition with a CD with that song, it'll sell out instantly. Well, most Nintendo special editions sell out instantly anyway.

I wonder if Nintendo will sell a Switch bundle with Odyssey or if Gamestop will just make their own.
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's a holiday bundle with either Mario or a Splatoon 2/Arms combo.

If GS makes a bundle it'll probably be the system, a controller, a screen protector, a carrying case, Mario, Just Dance and a warranty for $519 ;)

EDIT- Watching the second SMO demo on the Day 1 Treehouse Live feed (this one doesn't have a separate video) they showed off the forest level (which wasn't being demo'd on the showfloor). Really huge kingdom- looks like it'll be a lot of fun to explore above and below. I hadn't noiced it elsewhere but Mario has a rolling ability now which seems to be a useful substitute for the rapid belly slide from SMS for getting around worlds faster.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Jun 19, 2017
  19. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 6
    I get that reference.
  20. Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm probably getting a Switch just so I can play Mario Odyssey.
  21. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Having "Odyssey" bundled with the Switch would cause a spike in sales for the holiday season, which Nintendo would be foolish to not take advantage of. It would be more desirable than a "Splatoon 2"/"Arms" combo.
  22. Chewgumma Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I think Nintendo should focus less on scoring a spike in sales and more on making sure there's enough stock to go around by the Holiday season. :p

Just with a quick browse around the major online retailers in the UK I can see that the Switch is still out of stock in most places. It's a highly desired item, even without bundles.
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, I don't think you're going to see any standard Mario bundles- though some retailers may sell them together as a special. Splatoon 2/Arms makes more sense as a sort of multiplayer competitive bundle and helps push Arms (heh).
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest