main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Super Smash Bros: Brawl

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Lando, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    SSBB fiend code: 0301 9612 8029

2. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Okay, if I want someone to do something devious or evil, I'll be sure to let you know. :p

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_devil]

So after getting a chance to play for a few hours yesterday, my thoughts:

-SSE is interesting in a sort of training mode/familiarize with characters kind of way, though it alternates between being very easy and rather hard, depending on what enemies you're facing with which character. It's also pretty huge- I'm only 25% clear at this point. The cinematics are fun to watch too- and I can't help but ponder if the pairing of Yoshi & Link is a reference to the Yoshi doll in Link's Awakening.

-Almost everyone online plays as Lucario or Ike. I lose a lot online ;)

-Did have a neat match where I, as Link, vs someone as Toon Link, came to sudden death on the TP bridge, and we both drew arrows, but I guess mine didn't charge slightly as much, and my arrow fell short, but his hit and took me off the stage. haha.

-Meta Knight has great moves, but they don't seem to do as much damage as you think, and I think he's also easier to knock off the stage, as playing as him often gives you the sense that you are doing much better than you actually are.

-Conversely, Ness has surprising dexterity when it comes to not getting knocked off the stage, both when played my a human or CPU (despite being the first unlockable character, he actually took me the msot number of attempts to unlock him- he kept getting the damn final smash which is seemingly unavoidable (and, truth be told, I cna't even tell what the hell happens to me during it- it seems like it's just "aim and die")).

-I've also noticed CPU characters will always go after the human play(s) with their final smashes. Never seen a CPU target another CPU player intentionally.

-The coin shooter minigame is pretty fun :)

4. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    WHY WON'T IT GIVE ME MY GARDEVOIR TROPHY?! I DON'T CARE ABOUT SEEING THE STUPID CRATES FOR THE FORTIETH TIME, GIVE ME MY GARDEVOIR DANGIT.

But yeah, it is fun.

5. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Is it me or is there a Z'Gok in the Pokémon Stadium 2 stage. :p

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    FC: 5284-1084-4945

Room for one more right now.

7. ParaMunn

ParaMunn Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2008
    (first post on gaming forums. w00t)

i do agree about SSE. but i felt it was really easy the entire way through except the final boss (i played on hard) i felt the boss was insanely tough and it was kind of a weird difficulty curve-ball.

the online play is for the most part, totally down. theres too many people playing at once and its wrecking the servers. apparently the friend option works well (ill post my FC at the end of this post... im craving some online play badly) but i got 4 matches in, one of which lagged like crazy.

and yes CPU players do run after the human, which is really weird, but sometimes u can make a situation where the CPU hits other CPUs.

i agree about meta knight, but it is possible to get really good with him and make those little hits add up.

i dont really use ness but ill check out his final smash later.

heres my friend code- absolutely anyone who wants to add, please do. id love to play- 2234-6807-1837

8. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hey hi there.

hello fellow gamers, i'd first like to say that the pairing of Yoshi & Link is most definitely a reference to the Yoshi doll in Link's Awakening

now to respond to paramunn... btw it's my first post here at the gaming forum too

i also agree about SSE, but i don't know how u felt it was easy! it was hard the whole way through except for the final boss, which was surprisingly easy to defeat. the boss was not hard to beat but i like your saying 'a weird difficulty curveball'

the online play is a disaster... what were they thinking? i can't get through ever! well actually i did once but it lagged like a bantha at Tatooine noon! the friend option was not the most intelligent idea... just look what it's doing to the servers

CPU players always go for the human... so paramunn... how do i make the CPU hit other CPUs?

i cannot agree about meta knight, mostly because i'm obseseed with toon link... he is the master character and all others bow when he is present lol... and little hits certainly add up!

i dont really use ness either but ill check out his final smash as well

i took your friend code but i can't give mine until i know you guys better

~epithree

9. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    i do agree about SSE. but i felt it was really easy the entire way through except the final boss (i played on hard) i felt the boss was insanely tough and it was kind of a weird difficulty curve-ball.

His moves are definitely wanked, but once you play him a few times you can figure his pattern out pretty easily, and dodging all of his attacks is not very challenging once you have it down.

10. ParaMunn

ParaMunn Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2008
    very true, but theres that one move thats nearly physically impossible to avoid where he goes in the middle and throws out like 3 circle things from his body. u have to be like off the stage! i thought that was a little much... though i got him after my third or fourth try

11. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    That move got me every time until the time I beat him. You can time it just right, but it's difficult.

12. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    Has anyone here actually captured Tabuu as a trophy? I just did this week. It's a lot of fun; you have to put the difficulty setting on Intense mode though, or else you'll see very little if any trophy stands.

13. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Hey hi there.

hello fellow gamers... i actually captured tabuu as a trophy during my 80th hour of play (yes i'm a geek) btw i've seen many trophy stands without setting the game to intense mode

paramunn... when he throws out the 3 circle things all u have to do is jump off the stage and then use multiple jumps to get back and wallop him... btw don't touch the circle things with kirby or your gonna get hit with that annoying glitch that freezes the game

just curious... does anyone else think this game can be mastered simply by mashing buttons much like its predecessor melee? starting to think the game is overrated... opinions?

~epi3

14. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i disagree completely with the button mashing to mastery notion.
    i feel that a game like smash bros., while simple on the outside, is actually a very technical title.
    you can get into it and even beat up on friends that are waaay better than you without too much understanding of the deeper aspects. but there are certain characters i.e.samus, falco, snake and so on, that have a lot of rather subtle moves and tricks that really can take quite some time to master. probably mostly with snake out of those three. but there's a lot of features to each character and it's hard to really play them to their full potential all of the time. i mean, it's easy to know what you should do in any given hypothetical situation, but it's another thing to actually be able to pull off all of the moves you need most when you really need them.

15. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Might actually have the online aspect working after Spring Break, so might be able to try out some matches with you guys.

16. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Hey hi there.

thanks for the quick and informative reply.

i began to think that button mashing to mastery was possible when i saw true newbies (they didn't even know the special moves) start to beat some pros who had logged hours upon hours of playing... these guys were as good as paramunn and that's good!

i agree that it's a technical title that can appear deceptively simple

i've seen the subtle moves and tricks performed against some noobs, but their mindless button mashing actually won the matches!

and yes... knowing what to do doesn't mean you're actually going to pull it off

anyway, due to the mashing i've witnessed, i do believe the game is overrated... however, if u are playing someone that utilizes all of a character's moves, it can be entertaining... i just don't think it's the ultimate fighting game

opinions?

~epithree

17. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    So basically because the game is complex enough for people to spend hours developing intricate playstyles while being simple enough for casual players to pick it up and not get whomped every time by the hardcore people, it's an overrated game? I disagree with that.

18. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I'll admit I've lost to some button mashers. It happens with every fighting game I've ever played. However, more often than not I beat those types of players. It usually depends on the stage, the items available, or the character I'm usuing. Of late, I don't think anyone has been able to beat me with Toon Link, but there's always that random item that strikes you at an inopportune moment, or getting hit into an explosion, or the level changing at just the wrong time. I like some of the unpredictability.

19. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    You can't buttom mash in Smash and expect to win, at least against a decent opponent. If you do, it was probably out of luck or some random/chance act (and those random acts happen a lot with items on and on every stage).

There is also not one pro (out of the very, very few people who could even be considered a pro at this game) or even anyone who could be considered a hardcore or competitive Smasher who would ever lose to a button masher. These pros that you mentioned are probably not pros themselves if they're getting beaten by buttom mashers, or like I said, their loss was probably because of some luck or random act.

Anyway, unless you (epithree) can name an instance or two in which a button masher has ever beaten a pro or hardcore player(and you're going to have to explain the knowledge/technical skill of said pro/competitive Smasher before he can be considered such) without any factor of luck/chance involved in the outcome, there is still no such thing as a successful button-mashing Smasher.

On an unrelated note, I just found out that I love Toon Link. He's like the new Marth/C. Falcon. The purple costume is awesome too.

20. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Hey hi there.

thanks for responding so quickly and sharing your opinion

here's my take... what's the point of developing intricate playstyles if there's no payoff? spending hours honing these skills should guarantee victory against casual players. so yes, casual players should certainly get whomped by the hard core players. anyway, this leads me to believe that the 'perfect complexity' of the game that some people rave about is seriously overrating the game.

of course, that's not the only reason why i believe the game is overrated... there are other reasons

please share your thoughts about the game not being overrated

thanks again

~epi3

21. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
  22. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Does c-stick spamming not count as button mashing? o_O

Anyways, has anyone here gotten 100% completion on the SSE? I'm not close, but I assume some of you diehards are after perfection. :p

23. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Your whole argument is based on a false assumption, and therefore it has no merit. Please provide some evidence backing this claim you're making, or else it will stay a baseless argument.

Really, unless there is a factor of luck involved, a competitive player will always defeat a casual player. I could go in-depth and explain this occurrence, though I've done this so many times in the past and I don't want to/I'm too lazy to make it again. Plus, it's a touchy subject; declaring any one group better than another in any aspect of anything always sparks controversy, even if it is backed by logic or evidence.

In all seriousness, it's like I said, you're never going to beat anyone decent at the game button mashing or C-stick spamming unless there's some factor of luck involved. Unless you're Olimar, but that's different. :p

24. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Well i never meant to argue... just wanted to share an opinion. However, since you've tagged this discussion as an argument, my whole take is based upon the fact that i've witnessed button mashers defeating hard core players. It's as simple as that... i cannot ignore that fact.

And i get what you're saying... you believe that what i view as a fact is actually a false assumption. Well, i shall always believe that my take has merit, so it's probably pointless to continue that line of discussion. And considering i'm a newbie to this particular forum, perhaps you can explain to me how to provide evidence for my personal experience. That being said, i'm quite content with my take being a baseless argument... just wanted to generate a discussion.

A casual player sometimes defeats a hard core pro because there is a factor of luck involved. That, i agree with. And that's precisely what bothers me... it ruins the intricate complexity that the game is supposed to have... so, for me, it's not a perfect game (or what some call the ultimate fighting game). Anyway, do you consider the game to be perfect or close to perfect? just wondering

anymore opinions out there?

25. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    i think that says it all right there.
    just because it happens sometimes doesn't mean that the whole game is flawed.
    and since we're talking about opinions; what, in your opinion, is the flawless fighting game?
    MKII maybe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.