Super Smash Bros: Brawl

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darth-Lando, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually no. I just beat someone decent with c-stick spamming, so there you go. And what is "decent" anyhow? There's no leaderboard, there's no official ranking system by the game, so in fact "decent" is but what someone thinks is good.
  2. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    i just beat meta-ridley last night with some decent c-stick spamming.
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Random aside- anyone saddened that the title screen does not loudly procliam "SUPER, SMASH RBOS, BRRRRAAAAAAWWWWLLLLL!!!!" ? ;)

Unlocked Falco and Luigi yesterday- I never really clicked with the playstyles of the Starfox characters, but the changes for Luigi are interesting- if not for his less effective coin uppercut, I might have switched over to him from Mario.

I've also found Bowser to be pretty good against Ike and his sword charge, and his strength is good at juggling multiple opponents at once with up attacks, his butt stomp is a good followup to anyone that throws you into the air above them, and his spinning shell moves are very useful at maintaining ownership of the safe room in Norfair during the lava waves.

However, Kirby is very effective against him since his brick-drop move is similar enough to the butt stomp that it can be a chess game at times between them, and Kirby is good at inhaling Bowser to use as a spitted large projectile.
  4. BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Luigi > Mario. Serious. Not even close. Luigi rocks in this game. And his final smash is better simply because of how depressingly awesome it is.
  5. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    i ususally say it out loud to myself like that whenever the screen comes up.
  6. Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Master

star 4
    Ugh, I really didn't want to specify here, but decent in this context would mean your average competitive player. You're not going to see a C-stick spammer ever beat a competitive Brawler or pro.

Oh, I used "never" in that context figuratively, as in very, very rarely. Same with this post, ever is figurative here.

On another note, has anyone seen the dash-cancelled U-Smash used? I know a few people here saw Snake perform the technique, though apparently everyone can. Here:

Link
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    What is his final smash anyways? I got the smash ball during a battle in whatever that huge amusement park-looking level, and lined things up assuming his was a clone of Mario's, but then it created a big sphere that caught nobody since i was so far away from everyone.
  8. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    <Final Smash: Negative Zone>

When you trigger Luigi?s Final Smash, funky world music fades in and the immediate area gets wrapped up in the Negative Zone.

You?re on Luigi?s turf now!

Opponents who set foot in the Negative Zone are plagued by a random assortment of effects including:

* Drastically reduced attack power
    * Greater launch distance when hit
    * Increased likelihood of slipping
    * Steady increase in damage percentage
    * Flower growth on head
    * Dizziness
    * Uncontrollable taunting
    * Sudden sleepiness
    * Decreased movement speed

...And so on.

:p
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Is that a lasting effect for a period of time or only while in the negative zone? or only while the negative zone is in effect after stepping inside it?
  10. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    From my experience (one time) its a lasting effect, I still had the effect when negative zone was over.
  11. The_Face Ex-Manager

star 5
    That Final Smash is perfect for catching somebody in it, then calmly up-smashing them out of the place.
  12. Blue Ice Cream Force Ghost

star 5
    Well every game has flaws. However, 'the whole game is flawed' is not what i said. What i said was that my opinion is that the game is overrated. That's all.

There is no flawless fighting game. Though you bring up an example of a nearly perfect game. The first three mk games easily outrank brawl upon my personal list. How do you feel about the mk games?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
  13. ParaMunn Jedi Padawan

negative zone is fun. not my fav. final smash, but fun. my personal fav FS's are Link's, Toon Link's, Marth's, and Ike's. other than those i like Sheik/Zelda's, Sonic's and Peach's. i really dont like snake's. it may look fun but from the games ive played its SO easy to avoid every shot he fires.

epithree ive been reading about ur theory about button mashing and really, i think brawl is one of the most techincal games out there. theres so many little things that u have to plan out in a seconds worth of time (i.e. Should i throw my projectiles now? Whats the best move for recovery in this situation? Should i try to jump over this dude's head now?) and these little things are what seperate the pros from the joes. in fact, about a week ago, i played with a few button mashers for hours and hours and i won every game... so like every game out there for the most part, practice makes perfect. i think u should search a few vids. on youtube of the more advanced players, and see how different their playing style is different to that of a button masher. not badly presented opinions there epithree, but still i strongly disagree. and i personally like brawl MUCH more than any MK game out there. not to say that MK is a bad series, but i think Smash Bros has it beat pretty well.
  14. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    You can't compare MK with SSB. Period. They're too different in style to have enough in common to compare.

Like I mentioned before, has anyone completed SSE fully?
  15. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    52% for me.
    i can only imagine what comes next.

by the way, how's chris webber workin' out for you guys over there?
    i love him.
  16. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    I've got 53%, so we're in the same boat. ;)

And you're joking about Webber, right? If not, you missed him
  17. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    oh, that sucks.
    i mean, about chris webber, not our boat.
    he played with the pistons last year and i was really rooting for him.
    i knew he had bad knees but i didn't know he retired until just now.
    i guess it's cool though. he'll just go down in the history books like reggie miller, or charles barkley, or even karl malone.
  18. Blue Ice Cream Force Ghost

star 5
    Well of course u can compare mk with ssb. They're both games, aren't they?
    True... their styles are completely different and they don't share many common aspects... but does that mean we can't throw em upon our personal ranking lists? no.
    personally, i rank the mk games much higher than any ssb game. And that means that i had to compare them. i'm sure you've all ranked them as well.

paramunn i have to admit that negative zone is an enjoyable final smash. and yes, it's extremely easy to dodge every projectile from snake's.

anyway, thanks for readin up about button mashing. i agree that brawl is one of the most technical fighters out there. It's mastery of the little intricate things u mentioned that separate the pros from casual players. That's why it irks me when a button masher wins against a truly advanced player. i have to admit... i've not lost to a button masher yet (haven't played many). However, i've seen it happen many times to other players that deserved to win. u see, my opinion here is that practice doesn't make perfect. practice certainly makes u a stellar player, but it doesn't guarantee perfection. the disturbing anomaly of a button masher winning does happen, and that means the pro player's practice didn't payoff. nice little tongue twister there.:D lol. i've seen some youtube vids of advanced players but i shall search for more. And i agree that a button masher's style is different to that of an advanced player's. wonderful reply paramunn, but i still can't ignore the horror of a button masher occasionally winning. personally, i have to rank any mk game higher than any ssb game. that's not to say that ssb is a terrible series, but i believe the mk series is far superior. thanks for sharing your opinion and i look forward to your next reply.
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Where does the negative zone thing come from anyways? What game is it referencing? Is it a mistranslated Minus World reference or something?
  20. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Luigi's final smash trophy states that the Negative Zone is a "reflection of the dark side he embraced in his brother's shadow" from Wiki. :p
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  22. Blue Ice Cream Force Ghost

star 5
    Well of course u can compare mk with ssb. They're both games, aren't they?
    True... their styles are completely different and they don't share many common aspects... but does that mean we can't throw em upon our personal ranking lists? no.
    personally, i rank the mk games much higher than any ssb game. And that means that i had to compare them. i'm sure you've all ranked them as well.
  23. Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Master

star 4
    I think I finally understand where epithree and Obese_1_Kablooey are coming from with the buttom mashing/c-stick abusing thing. Just correct me if I'm wrong, but when you say that a button masher or generally less-skilled opponent can defeat a more skilled one, you're referring to a specific set of rules in which this can actually occur (during free-for-alls, I'm assuming), correct. Items on or off, FFAs require a whole lot less skill/strategy than singles/duels/one vs one matches or even doubles/teams. With items on, it almost becomes anyone's game (that's a fairly large exaggeration, I know) with the new luck factors and natural advantages thrown into the game in turning them on. Heck, this guy didn't need to do anything and he won his match.

You might also want to check out the Smash competitive scene, epithree. There are tournament rules that call for the most fair matches possible that go hand-in-hand with the competitive scene, and you'll generally find the best players out there involved in that particular scene.

The tournament rules for Melee were as follows:
    - 4 stock
    - No items
    - 8 min time limit
    - Friendly fire on
    - Best of three (or best of five in a championship)

There was also a stage ban list that was in place to make the matches more fair and to erase any natural character advantages that come with the more gimmicky or just larger stages. There was a tier list to support these stage bans as well, because the higher tier characters were normally the ones who benefitted most from

And if you need a first-hand experience, I've been in and around the competitive scene for a while now, and tournaments, the people you meet there, and generally the competitive Smash community itself are all great. It's been overall just a great experience; the people you'll meet online and at tournaments are the nicest people you'll ever meet (and ones who share your interest in Smash as well). The community itself is extremely tightly knit; tourney-goers would very often go to dinner with each other after tournaments and normally everyone liked each other. I remember the cheers at Champ Combo (big NorCal vs SoCal tournament near LA) shifting from "SoCal" to "Cali" at the end of the tournament. We were just an extremely tightly knit group; it was great.

I guess I should also list the Brawl tournament rules as of yet as we;;:
    - 3 stock
    - 9 min time limit
    - No items
    - Team attack on

There is a stage ban list for Brawl as well, though it's fairly inconsistent right now among different tournaments. Go to the Smash Boards (www.smashboards.com) for more information. Or if you need it, I can offer explanations for any part of the rules or just in general anything that didn't make sense to you.

First of all, you're looking at the situation very, very generally, and secondly, I think he means you can't compare the two when you're attempting to determine the better fighter. They're just too different to determine that accurately (although I think any of us with half a brain can figure that Smash > MK; more content, more play options, more replay value, more unique fighter = better game:p)

Generally speaking though, you're right. You can rank them like you have, though that's (in most cases) mainly if not fully opinion-based and would vary from person to person.

I'm at 93% now, but I've haven't really put much effort into completing it 100%. I'll get to it later, but for now the multiplayer has been enough to f
  24. ParaMunn Jedi Padawan

=D= everything jedi master ron said is pretty much 100% correct i think. one thing i find a little wierd (not incoreect, just... wierd) is how they took away one stock and added one min to brawl tourny rules... i didnt know about that so ive been mostly playing with melee's tounry rule set for brawl practice (which is pretty much the same, just those two tweaks) the current rules for brawl could change im sure though, since brawl just got released. i was in a tourny with some friends a while back (for brawl, nothing professional or too competitive, just messing around with friends) and they pretty much used those rules without the time limit... but they left the smash ball on :oops: :oops: :oops: and i lost to Ike. Ike's FS is amazing if it hits lol

the one thing i disagree about is that i think any game comparison will ALWAYS be opinion. theres never a clear winner. even if someone says aquaman battle for atlantis is better than final fantasy 7 (which i truly hope will never happen), its their opinion. theres no clear-cut winner, ever. so i think it kinda has to be looked at generally. so of course, to each his own :cool:

as for SSE... actually i havent touched SSE since i beat the boss and got the other 3 characters that i didnt have. i gotta get back to that after i beat classic with everyone :D
  25. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't mean FFA, though. I'm talking about straight-forward 1vs.1, duel, whatever you may call it. This game is not a set-in-stone system, Ron. Anyone has the possibility to beat anyone fairly, items or not. Yes, it rarely if ever happens, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

And can somebody tell me the background of the Hanenbow (sp?) stage? I'm too lazy to find out myself. When I first played the event match on it I was distracted by multiple WTF thoughts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.