main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Super Star Destroyer"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ATATzsinj, Mar 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATATzsinj

ATATzsinj Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    In the recent thread ?A Super Star Destroyer question?, many people showed that they naively believe that Lord Vader?s huge ship Executor belongs to a class of ships called the ?Super Star Destroyer?. Believing that this is anything more than Rebel slang is ridiculous ? I will tackle some of the canonical references that imply the Super Star Destroyer name is the proper designation.

1. Lord Vader gave the instruction to ?ready my star destroyer?. This does not in any way specifically mean Executor. There were five Imperator-II (or the ridiculous rebel name, Imperial) class Star Destroyers in the fleet Executor was flagship to. It could even mean that he had a personal Star Destroyer (we know from the Jedi Academy Trilogy that Tarkin had a personal Victory-class), and that he was calling his personal ship to join the search.

2. Admiral Ackbar?s ?Concentrate all fire on that Superstar Destroyer?. This shows that he was flustered (he was in the heat of battle, and floundering with Basic), and would have used the slang term instead of the proper military designation.

3. Princess Leia?s mentioning the Star Destroyer in ESB. She didn?t necessarily mean the Executor. Moreover, she would like Ackbar probably have used the slang term. Super SD stands as a reasonable slang designation, because the ships are dagger-shaped like Star Destroyers.

And as for the spin-offs, well, they don?t really matter ? they aren?t the law like canon ? but I will say something about them anyway.

The Star Wars novels are written by very creative, imaginative writers and are very entertaining and have good storylines. They are also a good source of information when they are accurate. However, this last is sadly uncommon. Most of the novels are very poorly researched, and just follow trends and the first reference that comes to mind.

The whole idea of the ?Super? was invented for the purpose of childrens? spinoffs. Star Destroyer is a cool, exciting name, so make everything Imperial that. Executor is a bit boring, so let?s make that Super. And we have the Super Star Destroyer. A continuity disaster and very silly, but it sounds good and is nice ?n? exciting ? we aren?t writing ?serious? references anyhow.

Then the aforementioned poorly researched sources gradually follow these kids? books, even though they aren?t serious references, and SSD becomes the ?accepted? designation.

But...we know that the first ship was called Executor, so this is an Executor-class. It could only be the Super class if its first ship ? DV?s flagship ? was called the Super, which it most certainly was not.

And it is ridiculous to call the Executor a mere ?destroyer?. If ?destroyer? spans the Victory to the Executor (or even the Eclipse) then the DeathStar is a midrange cruiser and a proper battleship would be twice the size of a planet. A destroyer being a small-midrange ship is a law of the English language that cannot be denied.

And as for the length supposedly being 5miles not the canonically proven 11miles, take a look at http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.htmlwww.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html . As is resoundingly mentioned almost every day in these forums, canon is the ABSOLUTE LAW. Any canon suggestions that SSD is the proper name are decidedly ambiguous; canon evidence that the length is 17.5km is absolutely and totally conclusive, beyond contradiction by any official noncanon references.

2. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I am so totally unsure of whether I am supposed to take this post seriously or not.

3. TheB5Fan

TheB5Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 1999
    I point at you Mr. Know-it-all, and I laugh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Look a fan boy who takes sci-fi way to serious and can't admit to being remotely wrong HAHAHAHAHA Look he thinks he knows everything about a sci-fi universe based in a galaxy far far away which would have no similarities to our modern day life HHAHAHAHAAHAH Look he points to a web site that is nothing but a bunch of educated guesses HAHAHAHAAHAHHAH.........

In other words, I think your funny

4. ATATzsinj

Mar 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheB5Fan:
    I point at you Mr. Know-it-all, and I laugh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Look a fan boy who takes sci-fi way to serious and can't admit to being remotely wrong HAHAHAHAHA Look he thinks he knows everything about a sci-fi universe based in a galaxy far far away which would have no similarities to our modern day life HHAHAHAHAAHAH Look he points to a web site that is nothing but a bunch of educated guesses HAHAHAHAAHAHHAH......... In other words, I think your funny
    If you consider this discussion to be silly, keep outta it. Because you obviously don't care, so have nothing to contribute.
    Nothing but a bunch of educated guesses? I feel like swearing...
    And I'm not trying to be funny. I refer my intoxicated friend to the answer I gave moments earlier.

[This message has been edited by ATATzsinj (edited 05-19-2000).]

5. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER

6. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    ok, B5, we get the picture.
    I guess that wasn't sarcasm in the dude's first post.
    And it's a "Super Star Destroyer" an "SSD" as opposed to an "STD" which is something else entirely.

7. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Gonorea Class Star Destroyer

8. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    You didn't need to make a whole new thread about it. Jeez, we already have 3 active topics about SSDs on this page. Why didn't you just respond to the existing one?

9. Jedi Novaga Sage

Jedi Novaga Sage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 1999
    i agree, there are too many Super Star Destroyer threads, how about we keep the comments to at least TWO!!!!! And boy, do u take Star Ars too literally, let people call it by what they want to.

And TheB5Fan, i think your as nuts as i am tho not quite there.

10. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    AAAAArrrrrgggghhhh!

Have ya gone daft,ATAT?!!!Disscussing Star Wars Tech used to be a nice way to escape from reality for a while.It's people like YOU who ruin it.You don't have to take FAKE(can ya say it F.....A......K......E)technology so seriously.

I was SO not aware that a fleet of Supers is coming to Earth to raze it!I'd better go brush up on my Star Wars tech!

Oh,and it looks like Supreme Admiral Pellaeon is leading from the SUPER STAR DESTROYER INTIMIDATOR.I'd better GO brush up on his history!It could SAVE us all!

STAR WARS IS NOT REAL!

SUPER
    SUPER
    SUPER
    SUPER
    SUPER

Whadda ya goin to about that!

11. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Have you GONE DAFT!Imperials a rediculous name invented by Rebels.........what the heck are you talking about!!???You act like the authors of the EU are actually historians writing for the winning side!

Star Wars is not REAL!

I don't know wether to pity you or not.

12. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    I think of it as I was raised.

Victory-class Star Destroyer: I don't know what the length is, but it's less than a klick. The first model, now outdated.

Victory II-class Star Destroyer: Nine hundred meters, with improved shielding and weaposn over the Victory.

Imperial-class Star Destroyer: 1600 meters long. Weak points include the shield generators atop the bridge; if they're knocked out, the shields of the bridge go down for several seconds.

Imperial II-class Star Destroyer: 2000 meters long. Improvements.

SUPER-class Star Destroyer:: 5 miles/8 klicks long! Bridge tower is the same size as an Imperial-class, which gives it the illusion of being smaller when compared to the size of the hull. Called the "Super" not because of the kiddies, but because "Super" means above. It was above and beyond any other craft when it was first introduced. It matters not that the first ship was called the Executor; it is a Super class, and that's all there is to it. I haven't seen any references to a VSD called the Victory or an ISD called the Imperial.

Eclipse-class Star Destroyer:This was either in Dark Empire or Dark Empire II. It's 16 klicks long and carries a mini-superlaser. There was only one ever made.

Super Super Super Super Super Super Super-class Star Destroyer is the type that will layeth the smack downeth upon anybody who calls it anything else!

13. ATATzsinj

Mar 11, 2000
    Originally posted by Shadowen:
    I think of it as I was raised.

Victory-class Star Destroyer: I don't know what the length is, but it's less than a klick. The first model, now outdated.

Victory II-class Star Destroyer: Nine hundred meters, with improved shielding and weaposn over the Victory.

Imperial-class Star Destroyer: 1600 meters long. Weak points include the shield generators atop the bridge; if they're knocked out, the shields of the bridge go down for several seconds.

Imperial II-class Star Destroyer: 2000 meters long. Improvements.

SUPER-class Star Destroyer:: 5 miles/8 klicks long! Bridge tower is the same size as an Imperial-class, which gives it the illusion of being smaller when compared to the size of the hull. Called the "Super" not because of the kiddies, but because "Super" means above. It was above and beyond any other craft when it was first introduced. It matters not that the first ship was called the Executor; it is a Super class, and that's all there is to it. I haven't seen any references to a VSD called the Victory or an ISD called the Imperial.

Eclipse-class Star Destroyer:This was either in Dark Empire or Dark Empire II. It's 16 klicks long and carries a mini-superlaser. There was only one ever made.

Super Super Super Super Super Super Super-class Star Destroyer is the type that will layeth the smack downeth upon anybody who calls it anything else!

Nope, it ain't an Imperial. It is an IMPERATOR.

You offer no evidence to back up your claims, you only repeat the incorrect information.

And if no-one cares because Star Wars isn't real, then fine. My view stands, because nobody else cares.

And, the Imperator-II is still 1600m. It is all pre-ANH Imperators, which have definitively been classed as one-mile.

And methinks that EU writers are Rebel, biased historians!

14. ATATzsinj

Mar 11, 2000
    Originally posted by TheB5Fan:
    SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER SUPER STAR DESTROYER
    Ever heard of wasting bandwidth?

You're obviously just interested in causing trouble. You are a selfish, totally intolerent individual who pokes his nose into other sci-fi forums just because they're different to his preferred universe. Now please GO AWAY.

15. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Oh yea, I don't like Star Wars........when did I say that? I'm actually a nice guy. I just can't stand you.

16. Itrakh

Itrakh Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Itrakh used to have a Mark VII...

Sorry. Had to . Just like on all the others...

But, it had a sunroof. No proton torps, though.

17. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Wrong. There are no Imperator-class Star Destroyers; they're called Imperial-class. There is no evidence to back up the Imperator thing, but there is tons of evidence about the Imperial designation. Do your research.

18. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Fine. Want "evidence"? I'll give ya evidence!

A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition, by Bill Slavicsek, published by Del Rey

p.414

"Star Destroyer

...the two newer classes of Star Destroyers, the Imperial class and the Super class, are found exclusively in the Imperial fleet. An older model, the Victory class, dates back to the end of the Clone Wars...

The Imperial-class Star Destroyer is 1.6 kilometers long...

The Super-class Star Destroyer...is eight kilometers long...Lord Vader's Executor was Super Star Destroyer..."

Notice how it did not say the Executor was the first of the SSDs.

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, paperback edition, by Steve Perry, published by Bantam-Spectra

p. 229, fifth paragraph down the page:

"'I didn't get close enough to read nameplates, but the lead ship is a Star Destroyer.'

'Victory-class?'

'Bigger than that.'

'Imperial-class?'

'Try again.'

...'No.'

'Yep. Super-class.'

'Is it...Executor?'"

p. 237, eigth new paragraph down the page:

"...Even a Super-class Star Destroyer didn't want a bunch of building-size rocks smacking into it at high speed..."

X-Wing Alliance
    Technical Library

"Imperial Class Star Destroyer (ISD)
    Designation: Starship
    Manufacturer: Kuat Drive Yards
    In Use By: Empire
    Crew: 37085
    Troops: 9700

Heavy starship. It is almost twice as big as a Victory-class and with more than double the combat power. It carries six squadrons of TIE Fighters and a full stormtrooper division."

"Imperial Class Star Destroyer II (ISDII)
    Crew: 37755
    Troops: 9700

Heavy starship. An upgrade to the Imperial Class Star Destroyer, featuring increased hull shielding and much heavier firepower."

"Super Star Destroyer (SSD)
    Size: 8.0 km
    Crew: 279144
    Troops: 38000

Super heavy starship. The SSD is the equivalent of an entire fleet of Imperial class Star Destroyers. It carries twelve starfighter squadrons."

"Victory Class Star Destroyer (VSD)

Heavy starship. Originally designed during the Clone Wars, these heavily armed capital ships carry two TIE Fighter squadrons."

Star Wars Technical Journal of the Imperial Forces,published by Jacobs Publications, Starlog Group

p. 26

"Vessel Type: Imperial I-class Star Destroyer
    Designer and Manufacturer: KDY
    Combat Designation: Capital Starship
    Length: 1600 meters
    Crew: 37085"

In case you're wondering, all of this was to prove several points. One: Star Destroyers, despite their name, are not classified as destroyers. They are captial ships or heavy ships. The SSD is a super heavy ship, since that is the only designation possible for a starship so large. Second: That it is indeed called a Super Star Destroyer, by nearly every source on the subject. By sheer weight of numbers (this is a democracy, right? Majority rules? Then again, we are talking about the Empire...), we counter your assumptions. Thirdly: The Super is 8.0 kilometers long. I have only two sources for that, however. Fourthly: How much have you smoked to read "Imperial" as "Imperator"? Fifthly: Canon means $&#*-all if GL counters it, bub. If you were to ask him on the subject, what would The Flanned One say? Lastly: This is not our universe, and despite the tendency of Imps to sound like Brits, they likely do not have the Brits' tendency to name a new ship class after the first ship of its kind.

"Concentrate all fire on that Super Star Destroyer!" At this point, the Executor was not named at any time in the movie. GL put this in, just to make sure (unlikely as it was) that no one in the audience got confused. As well, since when is "Concentrate all fire" floudering in Basic? Ackbar isn't human. You don't know how he thinks or reacts in combat. He could have been as cool as a cucumber (though it's not likely), and you couldn't tell, because you're a human from another galaxy.

And by the way, calling a Death Star a medium cruiser based on

19. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    ATATzsinj, You claim the novels, which are LFL aproved (in other words...official), as not being cannon. However, your source of infomation is the Technical Commentaries, which are NOT LFL aproved (meaning UN-official). Anything official overrules anything un-official, so all your arguements are invalid.

Now a few words on the Technical Commenrtaries:

* I agree that whoever came up with the length of the SSD realy screwed the pooch. While the length given in the TCs is closer to what was intended, the "incorrect" length of 5 miles is official and like it or not we're stuck with it. Now here's where it gets interesting. The Eclipse was suposed to be twice the length of a Super class Star Destroyer. Dark Horse gave it a length of 10 miles based on the official 5 mile length of the SSD. So when Saxton "fixed" the length of the Super class Star Destroyer, why didn't he fix the Eclipse as well?

* Many of the so-called new ship classes in the TCs are merely poorly drawn Imperial class vesseles. None of the artists drawing the comics those pictures came from were atempting to create new ship classes. They were trying to draw Imperial class Star Destroyers.

* Where the hell did Saxton get Imperator? Please note the class names (the OFFICIAL ones) I've been using in this post.

20. Jedi Novaga Sage

Jedi Novaga Sage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 1999
    stop quoting canoical(???) sources. Listen to the supreme master of the universe instead.

GOI BACK TO THE COMMAND SHIP AND AWAIT MY ORDERS, said Emperor Palpatine.
    Han even said thta it was a command ship.

Super is slang term used by the rebels to describe any Star Destroyer bigger than an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Exceutor is a Executor-class Command SHip. As is every other one thta looksl iek it. Forget Zsinj calling it a Super SD as well, its just a term that Stackpole kept using.

21. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedi Novaga Sage:

That's because the Super-class Star Destroyer IS a command ship. It's big enough to take the place of a Star Destroyer group. It IS also a front-line weapon. It IS also a fleet defense ship. iT IS also a Death Star defense ship. However, the fact is that it IS a Star Destroyer...a Super-class Star Destroyer to be exact.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Super is slang term used by the rebels to describe any Star Destroyer bigger than an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Man, you HAVE to lay off the drugs, they'll mess you up.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Exceutor is a Executor-class Command SHip. As is every other one thta looksl iek it. Forget Zsinj calling it a Super SD as well, its just a term that Stackpole kept using.

Ummm...could it be because Stackpole WORKED for Lucasfilm when he wrote that it was a Super Star Destroyer. It's in the movies for crying out loud. There is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence of anything called an "Executer-class command ship." If there is, it would be something different than the Executer, Darth Vader's command ship - that ship is a Super-class Star Destroyer.

22. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Am I the only one who feels that this debate has gone past the point of ridiculousness? And we wonder why people call us nerds or geeks...

Look, my point here is not to be rude (though I've probably succeeded on that account as well!), but to ask: is this really worth fighting over?

--MJEH

23. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I think it's become a fight of pride now.No one's willing to back down.

24. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Then again, in the novelization of TPM, it says that fighting won't change someone's opinion.

And on the other hand, violence has solved several things: the American Revolution, WWII, Star Wars, the Superbowl...

25. ATATzsinj

Mar 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedi Novaga Sage:
    stop quoting canoical(???) sources. Listen to the supreme master of the universe instead.

Super is slang term used by the rebels to describe any Star Destroyer bigger than an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Exceutor is a Executor-class Command SHip. As is every other one thta looksl iek it. Forget Zsinj calling it a Super SD as well, its just a term that Stackpole kept using.
    Here here! At last someone on my side!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.