main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superhero Overload?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EHT, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's like when someone doesn't understand how a bet works and they blame it on the movie, right?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

And in this film, Connors and Rutha discuss having not tested the serum on humans yet, so they don't know what it will do until it is tested. Connors tested it on himself and the Lizard is the end result. That's how the story of the Lizard goes. Connors tested it on himself without having anyway of predicting any negative side effects. The Goblin formula was different because it was for military applications. Likewise, Ock was already using his tentacles on himself.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

1) Wocky and comic movies ( or most things fun unless portrayed by Will Smith).. yeah totally a troll.

2) So this thread is for those overloaded only? Didn't get that in the OP. Now I feel bad for posting in it.

:p

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I mean, what else is there to say? Leaping to Wock's defense is a particular kind of crazy that I don't often see here. Kinda entertaining, for certain.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I generally agree with wocky about how awful and lazy most of these movies are (though I also hate the stupid Raimi Spider-Man). I just don't bother arguing with people in the "I can't wait for the Squirrel Girl movie!" threads about it for pages at a time.

EHT, Adam of Nuchtern and tom like this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i guess this just brings me back to my original question, and i'm forced to consider that perhaps it is i who doesn't know what trolling is. if i'm following you it would appear that trolling is pointing out flaws that one perceives in something or simply not liking something. that doesn't seem right to me. people can have negative opinions of popular things. it's okay. it doesn't automatically make them disingenuous. as guy pointed out, wocky's capacity to argue these things is seemingly endless, but that doesn't make him any less sincere. if he's been trolling about anything, i wouldn't be surprised if it was actually will smith movies.

7. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Who wants to bet live-action anime movies are gonna be the new fad come 2020-2030?

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well they're already A Thing(TM) in Japan, so...

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Then I can say "I was into live-action anime movies before they were cool"

LIVE ACTION ANIME HIPSTER

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Would Japanese companies want Hollywood to get their hands on anime/manga again after movies like Dragon Ball Z and Avatar the Whitewashed Airdisaster?

11. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

That's what everybody says and it's quite annoying. Two fails cause those directors didn't know what they wanted and couldn't handle it. Some anime I think can't really be translate. Only the real grounded and not wacky ones I think would work. Like Cowboy Bebop or Darker Than Black, maybe even Ghost In The Shell, which is actually being cast as we speak. Dragon Ball Z doesn't come off as ever being able to be successful as a live-action film. Airbender could've been really great, it just had the most atrocious writing ever.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    These are just release dates, I don't know how many will actually hit. Anyone think we'll see a Cyborg, a Green Lantern remake, Fantastic Four II, "Female Centric Spider-Man Movie" etc.? That's probably why there's an undated Batman movie to slot in the place of one of DC's non Superman or Batman flicks. The genre won't die out, it's here to stay, but I think we'll see a few high profile superhero movie bombs. Maybe not from Marvel, they seem to be freakin' Teflon (I am officially never betting against Marvel ever after Guardians of the Galaxy was a worldwide blockbuster), but I'd bet against the Warner Brothers / Sony / Fox superhero flicks all hitting.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That sounds more like the victim of typical network schedule fiddling than the specific war coverage though. A lot of shows have died off quickly after strong starts because of being moved to a different night (or nights), independent of current events.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, but the 24 hour war coverage didn't help.

15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    It's because he does this in every thread he possibly can. He's even admitted to not seeing a lot of the marvel movies (+ Shield eps) that he criticizes. I think it's all well and great to have a contradictory opinion, but to come into every single thread where people who actually like this stuff and want to constructively criticize it, and start making long rant posts against it that don't even really make sense - that's definitely trolling. Like I hate plenty of superhero movies, but at least I understand and have seen/read the source content before criticizing it.

And if that's not enough for you to tell it's a troll, look for how often he argues people that Toby Maguire is the best Spiderman. If you want to have a crap opinion that's fine, but arguing people nonstop that theirs is wrong on the same subject like who the best spiderman is...straight trollin.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I finally watched X-Men: Generations over the weekend. That movie is truly horrible. Its catastrophic issues with character motivation make Wocky's problems with the Spider-Man reboot's lizard dude's motivations look trivial. Nearly every single character in the X-Men movie is motivated by a set of goals and a plan to achieve them that is nearly incomprehensible and then compounded with a typically bad time travel plot and a climax lifted straight out of The Matrix. What a piece of junk. I haven't seen Trans4mers, but I'm curious now to see whether it might be able to compete with X-Men for the dumbest movie of 2014.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i guess i don't really have a problem if you think wocky is wrong, or that he is uninformed, or that he argues too much, or that his posts are too long or any of that. it's just that none of that fits into my definition of what "trolling" is. i always thought that it was taking a disingenuous stance just for the sake of riling people up, or using the internet as a platform to be anonymously mean to people or to trick people in some way. i don't really see wocky doing this at all. i mean call him names if you want, i am his number one sworn enemy after all, i just don't think the "troll" label fits.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I loved DOFP at first, tbh. But after watching it another couple of times I'll concede that with each re-watch the plot's brick and mortar has held considerably worse. There's a reason this movie was made and it's simply to further cement the franchise reboot that began with First Class. Nothing more, nothing less. But to be honest, the franchise has always had the same problems throughout: terrible plots, poor to zero characterization on all characters save Jackman's, inconsistencies with its own chronology that were made more glaring with the reboot film itself (First Class) and hand-waved away with, admittedly, really piss-poor time-travel magic. The one reason why I can't truly hate it is because the extremely strong performances from the leads. McAvoy, Lawrence, Fassbender and Jackman did, IMO, a truly great job with what they were given and they save the movie from being unwatchable.

Er, buddy, if all of that isn't trolling, I sincerely don't know what is.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Getting preempted a lot during the month of December didn't help. The show didn't start getting moved around a lot until after December. It was only moved once prior to then. The war coverage hurt a lot of shows that year.

Really? It's pretty straight forward in terms of motivations.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    might want to read my post again, pal?

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'll give you McAvoy, Lawrence and Jackman, but Fassbender was really wasted in this movie.

The standout set piece of the movie however (the escape from the Pentagon with the super time speedy mutant) was delightful. One great scene in a stupefying mess of a movie.

Sarge and Darth_Invidious like this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    By contrast, I found that to be one of the least enjoyable parts of the whole film. I would rather that character was not in it at all.

I will agree that some parts of the characterization were discordant, though. For instance, it didn't really ring true to me that Magneto would treat Mystique as Generic Henchman #5, given their history together. Especially when he's shown to care that deeply about the loss of other Brotherhood members who were basically nothing other than codenames wiith associated special effects. Not that I doubt he wouldn't have ultimately tried to kill her, mind you, but he might have at least struggled with the decision more than he did. As it plays currently, it has about the emotional import of going to buy a carton of milk.

With the exception of X-Men 3, and the stupid final half hour of Wolverine, I'd say the X-Men series has done a consistently better job than most superhero franchises. The ensemble casts can get in the way of giving anyone much depth, but they've got around this fairly effectively by only choosing to focus on or two characters per movie (eg DOFP: Mystique, X-2: Wolverine). Then for minor roles, a brief character moment or two can help illuminate an otherwise back-bench character. The few Nightcrawler/Storm exchanges from X-2 are still quite memorable, despite totaling less than 5 minutes run-time in total.

Is this really your perception of things? I've tried to specifically avoid doing that. For instance, I made less than 5 posts in the entire GOTG thread before it was released. I wasn't looking forward to it, and particularly didn't want to ruin it for those that were. Now that the film is out, I've not made any posts there at all. Similarly, I've not made any comment on Iron Man 3. I've not made any remarks in the Avengers TV show thread for several months, and those that I have largely date back to my time when I watched a few episodes of the series.

There are a few major detours from my general non-intervention policy, and I think those stick in people's heads. However, in my view what happens is that I will post a thought or opinion about something which, instead of merely accepting, someone will challenge as incorrect in the basic details I used to draw my conclusion (eg in most recent dispute, someone said that my assessment of the Lizard was unfair because reptiles "don't have emotions"--they do.). In that context, I don't think it's unfair for me to respond with evidence that further explains myself. I can fully understand the discussions being wearisome, but it's something of a two-way street.

If you really feel like I'm dive-bombing "all" the superhero threads, I will review my posting behavior to see if my actions are lining up with intentions. At first glance, though, I feel like I've tried to avoid this.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh yes, that is really the best scene in the film. Which unfortunately doesn't do the film any favors when it's smack dab in the middle of it and, while fun, is preceded by the fairly ridiculous scenario of a super powerful mutant that can uproot entire stadiums from it's moorings yet is somehow rendered powerless by being buried a few hundred feet underground and needs the help of a handful of yahoos to get himself out of his predicament.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I had a hard time accepting that the characters were fixated on this one act of Raven/Mystique, when seemingly every single action the mutants take in this movie looks all but guaranteed to bring about an all out war with the human governments of the world. Also, a little consistency with its own universe would be helpful. We're talking about a future war with humans that must be set in, oh, about five years from now at most featuring weapons and technology that look to have been pulled right out of David Lynch's adaptation of Dune. I know it seems necessary to the filmmakers to draw on fantastical sci fi technology in order to cobble together something other than other mutants that looks like it could be a threat to mutants, but wouldn't it have made more sense to build this story from a more distant future, with the essentially immortal Wolverine the only character tied to a future version of himself? Forcing the old cast into this story helps to ruin the movie, not that it needed much extra help.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Just throwing it out there, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be an alternate universe, what with the Sentinels existing in the 1970's and all.

The time travel was a mess as time travel always is. However, I liked it due to the strength of the cast and it didn't have the "phone it in" vibe of the MCU and ASM and the insufferable, incessant winking at the audience in the former. Bryan Singer seems to actually try to deliver a decent product, and despite their sometimes-glaring flaws that's what I respect about his X-Men movies and First Class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.