main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superhero Overload?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EHT, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Unfortunately, Days of Future Past ends up being completely typical of the genre's overall laziness. Plots stolen from The Matrix and the Terminator franchises, a silly (in terms of plot) deployment of the former cast in a crass but admittedly successful effort to boost the box office of a new franchise that isn't exactly taking off on its own, the typical X-Men movie climax that leaves everyone scratching their heads about why it is exactly that people are behaving the way they're behaving.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    First Class created the inconsistencies.

Why would the time traveler, starting from the future of the original continuity, go into an alternate universe as opposed to the past of that continuity?

So unfair. [face_not_talking]

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

Magneto did struggle. He didn't kill her outright at the conference and he did speak to her about what's going on. She refused to listen to him and so he made his choice to kill her the next time they met.

Uh, Magneto is powerless without some form of metal. That was established in the first two films with the plastic prison and needing Mystique to free him. Remember, she injected liquefied metal into the guard so that Magneto could use it to escape.

Since the plastic prison had not been constructed yet, putting him in a concrete bunker that does not have any steel beams supporting it will render him powerless. The stadium was lifted up because it contained steel in the entire structure.

Which is how the story went in the comics. This one act was important because it resulted in the Sentinels being made. By showing them to be flawed with Magneto's actions and Raven shooting Magneto, it proved that not all Mutants were dangerous. In the previous films, the X-Men acted in secret. No one knew who was who during the fight on the island. No one saw the X-Men stop Magneto at Liberty Island. The battle against Stryker took place at Alkali lake. And the battle of San Francisco was mostly filled with the Brotherhood versus the X-Men and the security forces of Warren Worthington II. By Robert Kelly's own admission in the first film, they didn't know who among the Mutants were trustworthy and who wasn't. Mystique's actions stopped the war because it proved that a Mutant will fight for the side of the government against a known Mutant assassin.

The war took place in 2030. That's more than enough time for the Sentinels to go from the large robots to the humanoid ones. We're also in a universe with Cerebro and the Danger Room. Hell, Trask was originally conceived in the comics as an evil Tony Stark. The old cast being in the film is consistent with the comics version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does it matter?

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Days of the Future Past carried the plot of an X-Men comic book event of the same name dating from 1981, pre-dating even Cameron's original pitch for the Terminator film, let alone the entire franchise.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't remember him doing more than explaining why he was killing her as he attempted to do so. That included shooting at her multiple times, hitting her at least once, and pursuing her after she fell out of a second story window. If that was "struggling" then I should like to have seen much more of it.

5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Are you trying to undermine or cleverly bolster the widespread belief that I'm your sockpuppet?

I'll take your word about comic books existing in 1981 (really?) and retract my comments about the Terminator. But I was alive in 1981, and I don't remember that at all. I always assumed people had stopped reading comic books by the mid 1960s.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Again, you make me feel young. And yes, plenty of people, young and old still read comics.

But no, I don't believe you're the Wock's sock. Plenty of differences in style and psyche. :p

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

When he had her in Paris, after injuring her, he took took long to kill her which allowed Beast enough time to stop him. He was not entirely pleased with trying to kill her. And if you note when they come face to face, he actually talks to her rather than trying to kill her then and then.

The X-Men comic series stopped printing new material with issue #67, which was in 1970. Reprints of issues #12 through 45 were used instead. The characters would appear in various books until Giant Sized X-Men #1, which came out in 1975. X-Men #94 was the first issue to feature new material within the book. Uncanny X-Men #142 and #143 came out in 1981, both of which was DOFP. Comics in general did not lose readers in the 60's. By 1949, superheroes stopped appearing in comics except for a few characters. Superman, Superboy, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel and the Marvel family. From 1950 until 1955, there were no new heroes until the Martian Manhunter debuted in Detective Comics #255. During the 50's, most of the comics were romance comics, horror comics, detective fiction, westerns and adaptations of radio shows and feature film characters. Marvel attempted to revive Captain America and Namor both were given revivals at Marvel during the 50's, but they didn't last. Starting in 1961, the Fantastic Four debuted and the Marvel Age of heroes began.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I meant alternate from our universe. I was responding to Jabbadabbado's comments about the technology, so I thought that was implied.

Jesus, even when I'm saying I like one of these movies the usual suspects jump to its defense.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The films are alternate to our universe. *bash bash bash*

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Did I ever tell you about when I was in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, Illinois?

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Me and my Dad finally saw Big Hero Six and we loved It, I loved the Animation and I loved how emotional It was. My only question Is, to all you Comic Nerds on here, In The credits it said based on Marvel Characters, Is this based on a Comic? I also loved the short Cartoon at the beginning and did you all watch the entire credits, there was a really funny post credits scene with
    Stan Lee? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm not at all a comic book nerd, but yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hero_6

I had also never heard of this comic until this movie started getting promoted. Good movie, though... my kids and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    And I meant Big Hero 6 not Big Hero Six My Bad.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm glad this thread got bumped. I foresee it being useful over the next couple of years, what with the coming onslaught of more superhero movies for both the Marvel and DC universes. :p

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh it's only about one every two months. Plus 5 or so live action TV shows.

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm pitching a pilot for my new Bond spinoff television series: Agents of SMERSH

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    On the bright side FF rapidly coming undone at the seams and ASM imploding has at least killed a few of them.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know why Sony thought they could spin off from that abomination.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably because they planned the spinoffs before they made that movie.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I have no idea what Sony is going to do next, will they go ahead with Sinister Six or go with the whole co-fiance with Disney Marvel deal (that got leaked). Honestly, it could go either one. The one thing I don't see happening is for Sony to stop making (or co-making) Spider-Man movies.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    To celebrate the release of Avengers AOU, and with many more superhero movies on the way, I thought I'd bump this thread and see if anyone has any new thoughts. I was also partially inspired by some recent discussions that I saw in the Box Office Bloodbath thread.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Some have expressed that they are skipping Ant-Man. Not me, I think it's looks decent enough.

Coruscant and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    In a matter of days, three of the all time top 10 grossing movies worldwide will be Disney Marvel movies featuring RDJ as Iron Man. AOU kicks The Dark Knight out of the top ten, thus maintaining the delicately balanced equilibrium between comic book superheroes and everything else.

The X Men movies pioneered the bloat of having to manage too many superheroes for good storytelling. Now Disney/Marvel has taken it on, and the strains are already showing. Next, the DC movie universe is going to go all in with the character bloat.

I predict that X Men movies will keep earning half or less of what Avengers 1 made, and that any DC avenger-style ensemble movies are destined to perform no better than X Men, maybe a bit worse. But I also think the box office of Avengers movies is going to keep declining too. Age of Ultron didn't show anybody anything new or interesting or even the slightest bit different from Avengers 1, and the next round of Avengers is inevitably going to be a whole lot more of exactly the same.

There's no superhero movie franchise left to really stand out for audiences. It's all on the table now with nothing left unmonetized. Ant Man isn't going to connect with audiences and neither is anything else that we haven't already seen, otherwise we'd have already seen it.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

An absolute travesty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.