main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superhero Overload?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EHT, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I think if it were getting tiring to most people then those threads wouldn't be on the first page of the JCC. Or we could go back to having separate forums. [face_mischief]

I'll never give up the fight!

*ducks*

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks Watto, I've got Tina Turner singing in my head.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think he's talking about doing it with characters other than Batman- Marvel in particular. The only other character to really get a proper game in recent years is Spider-Man, I think. Oh, and Deadpool. But Avengers or Iron Man, etc haven't had a proper AAA game- only film tie-ins.

There's that, but it's also just a unique time of a lot of info coming out combined with new releases, what with Avengers out, Civil War news exploding, AOS approaching it's finale (and just passing it's AOU tie-in), TV renewal news happening across the board, Ant-Man on the horizon, etc. Throw in BVS news, DC TV shows, etc and it gets even more crowded.

There hasn't ever really been any franchise as omnipresent and diverse as the MCU and DCCU subjects, so it's an odd beast for the Amp when these moments of overlap occur. At the same time, you couldn't merge the discussions into a single thread because there's so much active posting with less than 10% redundant discussion occurring between them- in multiple threads that are currently going through numerous pages worth of new posts per day.

It'll pass but we'll hit these peaks every now and then.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think it's kind of funny when nerds are complaining there's too much nerd stuff to talk about on a nerd message board.

I'm happy there's a forum where I can talk about comic books, movies and tv shows based on comic books and other nerd related topics. I mean, there are sport talks shows and ESPN for sport fans, and I don't hear anyone complaining about sports overload or hearing too much about their favorite sports team.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hey, I complain plenty about sports! The major sports leagues are all disgusting.

And everyone talks about superhero movies everywhere. They make billions of dollars; a lot of people see them. It's not some niche thing.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Are you kidding me? The MCU is the very anti-thesis of "diverse." All the films have a reliable plot structure, approach to dialogue/character, irreverent/self-aware tone, and style of antagonists. They become almost interchangeable with one another.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't agree with that assessment at all. The Avengerverse has an overall cohesive visual look yes, but its like a tapestry. With-in that framework, different characters are pulling on different threads. Thor is all about magic and monsters. Iron Man is near-term sci-fi, Guardians of the Galaxy is full blown space opera, Captain America is a mix of pulp adventure, action and conspiracy thriller, TFA and TWS in particular were very different movies. On the TV side, Agents of SHIELD is espionage with superpowers. There's a lot more variety in the Avengerverse than you think. I'd even go so far as to say that individual characters are very different from each other. Thor is all about learning humility. Bruce Banner is a walking psychodrama. Tony Stark is constantly trying to make amends for his past sins. Black Widow wants to make amends for all the people she's killed and trying to come to terms with things that have been done to her. Cap wants to belong and Hawkeye just wants a normal life. So where is the lack of diversity?

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Those are incredibly facile divisions. For instance, none of the "espionage" shows really operate like things of that genre. It's certainly not "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" nor does it even fit comfortably into the mold of Alias. They brand themselves as spies without ever much resembling them. Likewise, Iron Man is "sci fi" only in that it involves fantastical weapons--in much the same way that Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers umbrella franchise also involve fantastical weapons. It doesn't otherwise address the issues that science fiction addresses, or take on any of that genre's sensibilities. Instead, like Bond action films, the new technology is just a plot vehicle for bigger explosions. Finally, in Thor ancient mythology is only referenced in order to stress how it's just like a high tech alien society that we might see in Guardians or Avengers. This is window dressing over the exact same product, over and over again.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd also disagree- the diversity is what has contributed to its longevity and why the general public doesn't view the MCU as a single series of films.

Regardless, my "diverse" comment was more about the multiple platforms/mediums interlocking at the same time. No other franchise has had multiple solo films, multiple crossover films & multiple TV shows running (and in development) like this before to where you'd have multiple sustainable threads active and laying off of one another.

The closest was probably Star Trek almost 20 years ago- and even that was pretty compartmentalized (and predating the JC, depending on the year).

10. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Jabba-wocky: You're absolutely right, which may account for why I much prefer Bryan Singer's Days of Future Past to anything by Marvel. Far from perfect, but at least it actually strives to say something. There's a genuine inner life to the lead characters, and the narrative beats fairly unpredictable.

More to the point, although Marvel has produced several engaging adaptations, it's never made an honest-to-God film. That is to say, a Superman: The Movie, a Batman '89, or a Dark Knight, all of which were imbued with a distinct character and overwhelming cinematic sweep.

If this subgenre isn't entrusted to visionaries and innovators, then the bubble could burst sooner than it ought to.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It ought to have burst in 1945.

12. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Well, there's a difference between handing your kid a nickel or two so he can dash off to the newsstand and forking 40+ dollars for a Sunday afternoon at the theater.

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I think of all the things I am not a fan with MCU Thor, this still disappoints me the most.

Regarding overload, if you look at the movie release slate, yes there is overload. But it's like any cinematic fad. After all, the Italians made over 600 westerns in the span of 13-14 years so...

14. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I think Marvel in and of itself, including the MCU, Spidey, the X-Men, etc, is an incredibly diverse comic book company with many interesting story lines, however the MCU has become, to me, a predictable and formulaic series, where much of it is indeed interchangeable.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

"Arkham Asylum" is a trade-off that a lot of people are thankful for. Genuine games with a normal development time will go over far better than not.

To the animated series, it was. Hence using the designs and voice actors from the show.

[​IMG]

It did. Then it made a come back because of how popular the genre is. The DC and Marvel heroes, along with the heroes of the creator owned variety are modern myths in the same vain as King Arthur, Hercules, Beowulf and Ulysses.

16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Sure. Thousands of modern myths, thousands of variations on the same narrow theme, all on par with Ulysses.

17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    the one thing i could see them running into is if they phase out Thor, Iron Man and Captain America, most of these other characters they're introducing might not really have that wide appeal of those characters.

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    There are other characters that will take their place though:

Black Panther is a scientific, wealthy genius and a king to boot (so you could fit some Thor-ish ideas in there as well as Iron Man.)

And Bucky and perhaps Falcon will take up the shield so there will be another Captain America. Plus the Defender characters from Netflix will probably merge with the film characters too. The Avengers had many different teams so they could continue for some time.

All that said, I do hope they go a bit deeper into their character catalog.

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    to me the guy in the suit is who the super hero is. Steve Rogers is Captain America.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's the last paragraph in my original post that started this thread, over a year ago. I just re-read that post and noted that what I had thought was beginning to happen for me then has definitely continued to go as I had thought it might, as far as burnout goes. I'm now at the point where the decision not to go see new superhero movies (at least in the theater, but often at all) is almost always a quick and pretty easy one. My son (now 8) not being into superheroes anymore has also aided in that progression; a few years ago, these movies were something we both enjoyed, but now we've both pretty much moved on.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It'll be interesting to see what happens after Infinity War.After multiple hints across multiple films coupled with nearly a decade of build-up, its possible that Marvel will have shot its proverbial wad, as they're giving us Thanos, who is basically the end of the line as far as Marvelverse supervillainy is concerned. There's also the fact that by the time we get to Infinity War, we will have had nearly two decades of high quality cinematic superheroics. People might very well be ready for something completely different.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Do you post that to torture us?

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    :D It just seemed appropriate.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That cover actually reminds me of the days before the internet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.