main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superhero Overload?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EHT, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm glad they got the inside scoop on Celebration a month after it happened. Thanks, print media!

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I couldn't find the Marvel Cinematic thread so I will post here, I finally saw Captain America Winter Soldier on Encore On-Demand HD and I loved It, I still Liked the First Captain America movie Better but this was a Solid Sequel !

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...e-marvel-cinematic-universe.30900955/page-268 :cool:

4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    thanks my friend !

5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    SuperWatto : This is the other superhero thread I think you were referring to. But this is an amph-tagged thread, as it pertains to discussion of superhero movies themselves (not any specific movies, but more to the genre itself and possible burnout on it for some people). It's not about this forum or how many threads there are regarding superhero movies. :p

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well at least Beazel stopped making them.

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    What about the Madame Tussaud's posters that I walk into on every street corner?

[​IMG]

Can I complain about those here?

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Sure, go for it. :p

9. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Maybe here would be a good place to discuss the idea that every superhero film belongs to a different sub-genre. For me at any rate this prevents fatigue. I've read the claim hereabouts that "all superhero movies are the same" or words to that effect, and I feel like this couldn't be any farther from da troof.

Consider what's out there. Ant-Man compared to any Spider-Man film? Completely different animals. Thor compared to Daredevil? Like night and day. Winter Soldier and Man of Steel? It's like one of them is from a different planet. Guardians of the Galaxy and... any movie ever made? I rest my case. :p

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    If you rest your case there, it's dead in the water.
    I suggest a trip to a proper library.

11. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    :confused:Are you suggesting I don't read? I'm not sure what your point is here.

12. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I've said it many times: all superheroes are variations on the same theme. A theme extremely narrow in its scope, and entirely hollowed out after over sixty years of relentless shipping.
    If you read other books or see other movies you get to meet other types of characters, people that don't have superpowers, and thus are not faced with the tiring similitude of unrealistic wish fulfillment character arcs.

13. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    You may have said it many times, but each time you said it, you were mistaken. Batman could not be more different from say, Captain America, in terms of persona, origin, methods, ideology, etc. And the films themselves? The narratives, the stylistic choices, the tone, the genre each one operates in -- all are unique from character to character and film to film.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That's because it is fantasy, not reality. Just like "Star Wars", "Y: The Last Man" and "The Walking Dead" are not reality. The fun of superheroes isn't so much the wish fulfillment, because you can find that same thing elsewhere. But the fun is that they can be every bit as inspiring as real people, simply because of the fun factor. They are what we should aspire to. Not the costumes and powers, but the ideals and morality. Superman is fun because there's a whole sense of wonder with him. He gets to go to fantastic worlds and interact with a host of other characters. But there's also the inspirational aspect. Superman believes that people can aspire to be better than they are. That they can reach great heights if only they could see the world as he does. In fact, that was the basis for this scene in "All Star Superman".

[​IMG]

It isn't much different from "Star Trek".

BigAl6ft6 and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Sure, I'll go on all night if you want me to.

Munchkins could not be more different from dwarfs. Oompa Loompas could not be more different from say, gnomes, in terms of persona, origin, methods, ideology, etc. Leprechauns offer an even different stylistic choice and different narratives. They do. But overall? They're the same. And being completely overwhelmed with only characters like that is very boring.

16. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    You're right, all fictional little people are "the same overall". Because they're short. o_O

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Imagine having ten to fifteen threads on here about a fictional midget race. And every week a new movie about 'em in the cinema. I trust you get the idea.

18. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I'd love it, as long as the movies were decent to great. I happen to enjoy magical dwarves, leprechauns, Munchkins, gnomes, hobbits, brownies and yes, actual little people in the real world, too. I'm finding your limitations on what kind of narrative you approve of allowing yourself to watch and discuss to be... uh, limiting.

19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    It's the overload, Hogarth. It's the similitude. Too much of the same thing ain't good for you. Just like I am doubtful a Star Wars movie a year is going to be fun.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Like a critic of gilded age capitalism, I alternate between or at the relentless tide of new abuses superhero movies in general and the MCU in particular house on viewers and amazement that its growth continues unabated.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015

But there is very little similitude. All superhero movies are set in different sub-genres (political thriller, heist film, magical alien film, etc.) and feature radically distinct protagonists. I've invited you to compare film to film, character to character but instead you've opted to complain about non-existent midget movies. The existence of which I fully support and hope for, BTW.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    First, no one is forcing you to watch them. Second, true, the films follow the more basic formula. But that's mainly to sell it to kids. Doing an adaptation of the drug stories that Green Lantern and Green Arrow did, along with the Spider-Man one, wouldn't go over well with general audiences. It could be done on "Arrow", but not a GA film. Or doing "Identity Crisis" would be a bit much since it involves rape. "Watchmen" did a mostly faithful adaptation, but it also looked like the usual superhero type film.

But to say that too much of a good thing is not good for you? Peshaw. I enjoyed the 80's era of slasher horror and films like "Police Academy". I liked coming back once a year to see another chapter in my favorite series.

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    And I hope you enjoy them. I just don't want to be beaten around the head with it.

25. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    SuperWatto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.