main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superhero Overload?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EHT, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Well, the kids who grew up on the cartoon series and the video games knew. Most adults around the age of thirty, did not unless they bought stuff for their kids.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well it's not like the X-Men weren't around for decades prior to that.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Being around for forty years and being pop culturally relevant are two different things. The X-Men comics, like most of Marvel, were confirmed to the print and some cartoons. Spider-Man, the Hulk and Captain America were the most well known and established of Marvel's catalog of intellectual properties, prior to 2000. They had been on television, both as live action and animation, as well as having the most merchandising available. The Fantastic Four were next in line. Most people hadn't heard of the X-Men, Daredevil and Iron Man prior to their films. Those who did were comic book geeks who read the comics and watched the cartoons. Same with DC. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman and Green Lantern were the most well known due to the films and television ventures, as well as the merchandising products. They were well known. But characters like Green Arrow, Booster Gold and Firestorm were known to the geeks. Most people had never heard of "Watchmen" until the first trailer debuted. It had already gained relevance outside of the normal comic book fandom, with those who had heard word of mouth that it was one of the greatest works of the 20th century. Hell, Deadpool was unknown to anyone who wasn't in the know.

There's a larger world that is only now becoming aware of DC and Marvel's other properties because of the film and television ventures. Iron Man is now part of pop culture.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Imagine going back ten years and saying, "hey comic geeks, in the next decade you're going to get a really good Iron Man film, Captain America film, Deadpool film, and GotG film! Oh, and also Batman and Superman in a live action film together for the first time ever."

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I am unaware we ever had a good Iron Man film.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

Forget ten, go back twenty years.

SuperWatto, AmySolo and VadersLaMent like this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, imagine being told in 1998-2000 that we are going to get at least dump of 30 to 40 comic book movies over the next 15 to 20 years and that virtually all of them are going to be absolutely amazing. You'd say please excuse me while I nerd out for the next 20 years.

VadersLaMent and Rylo Ken like this.
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Fixed.

Though, yes, I would try to excuse myself form having to ever experience it.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can outright guarantee you that the X-Men (and especially Wolverine) were more widely known on a cultural level than any other Marvel hero or team with exception to Spider-Man and the Hulk, especially by 2000, but even jumping back further.

The FF & Cap (even with the latter having that terrible straight to video movie) were way, way down the list.

Darth-Lando and AmySolo like this.
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Do you have proof of that? That they were indeed pop culturally relevant? I'm not just talking about the attempt at making a movie in the mid 80's and the cartoon series. I'm talking about stuff like people on the street knowing them. Family members who never read comics and watched the cartoon series.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    More than FF & Cap? They sure were. Even constrained to those mediums the X-titles had more significant storylines going on in the late 70's/early-80's that bled through to the merchandising exposure.

By 2000, their exposure across multiple mediums definitely have them awareness- and older generations through their kids.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm not talking about the comics themselves. I'm talking about word of mouth about the X-Men characters from non comic book fans. By 2000, the film had come out and anyone who hadn't watched the cartoon series, found out that they existed.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    heck after ROTS and LOTR, Spider-Man and X-Men, i thought hollywood was running out of properties to use all this new cgi for. i didn't see all these marvel movies coming. kids today are living in a golden age of these type of movies.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, I understand that- I was addressing your suggestion that Cap & FF had more beyond-comics cultural recognition than X-Men, which is definitely not true.

People who didn't know of the X-Men from TAS could have known them through the video games (X-Men Arcade in particular but also Marvel vs Capcom and other fighters), the merchandising (toys in particular but any Marvel superheroes branded stuff like clothing would have most certainly featured Wolverine and others 90% of the time) or by being parents/friends to those who were (and being exposed to them via conversation or simply purchasing said merchandise for them) or any number of pop culture references (Mallrats, etc).

And that's ignoring the fact that we're talking about the 90's, where the comics boom garnered a lot of mainstream media attention/expanded advertising which would impact cultural awareness of the product.

Do you honestly think you could ask someone in 1999 "Who are the X-Men?" and they would be surprised to find out they were a superhero team/hadn't heard of them?

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've never read any superhero comics. As a kid (I'm 41 now), my knowledge of the characters all came from their TV shows, movies, and merchandise like t-shirts, lunchboxes, etc. As far as I can recall, I knew Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, the Hulk, Captain America, and Thor. I'm not positive, but I think that's it... I don't recall knowing about the others (including X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Iron Man) until their much more recent movies.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Iron Man & the FF were definitely elevated from B-lister status by their films (well, FF might have actually fell to C-lister because of those movies, lol) but the X-Men were Marvel's A-listers for at least a decade, surpassing the Avengers in overall profile.

I mean, there's a reason they were among the first titles the film rights were sold for alongside Spidey.

18. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    They were among the final ones to be sold, rather. All the other properties had previous screen adaptations, including the Fantastic 4 (but it was never released). Spider-Man had B-movies in the 70s, and Lou Ferrigno famously played the Hulk on TV.

I would also suggest that Captain America was more known than the X-Men. As an anecdote, my dad, who grew up in Iran, knew Captain America from the cartoon series he used to watch as a kid. He did not know who the X-Men were when we saw the movie. I agree that the Fantastic 4 were not commonly known, though.

As an aside, Captain America was also pop culturally relevant enough for Will Smith's character to make a joking reference to him in Men in Black when he's making fun of another character. Although, to be fair, the phrase 'captain America' itself has double meaning in that joke.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd agree that Cap's name was known widely but argue the character himself wasn't- by 2000 few people (of any age) saw, let alone remembered, the 90's DTV Cap movie and even fewer knew of, let alone remembered, the 70's TV movies.

By contrast, Wolverine and the X-Men would have, in a worst case scenario, specific recognition equal to Batman, Spidey and Superman among younger demographics at that point in time and, in a best case scenario, a healthy (but perhaps not majority) portion of older demographics.

AmySolo likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Cap had a movie serial and two TV movies from the 70's, as well as the cartoon from late 60's time period. The FF had that same cartoon series and a later series. But in terms of beyond that, Marvel had more merchandise with them than they did with the X-Men. There were more shirts, hats, sweaters and other stuff with Spider-Man, Hulk and Cap than there were with Wolverine or the X-Men as a team. This did change in the late 80's and the start of the 90's, but their media presence only really had a huge uptick after the bankruptcy ended. By then, Marvel was trying to market everyone and everything.

I can even remember going to see the first "X-Men" film and hearing people talking who didn't know much about them, but were interested in seeing it. There was even a minister, or pastor or whatever, who had seen an earlier showing who felt that the film should have had less fighting and more trying to talk about peaceful solutions.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    No self-respecting adult should buy comics or watch superhero movies

"Another month, another superhero movie staggers to the silver screen, lurching under the weight of its own self-importance, groaning with the expectations of fans, and burdened with a nine-figure marketing budget. I am, of course, talking about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, to give it its full, clunkingly portentous title.

Can we all please grow up? Can we acknowledge that Marvel and DC have scraped right though the bottom of the barrel? Can we call time on superhero films? Films which are too dark for kids the comics were originally written for, yet too dumb for any thinking adult."

22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    This stuff used to be contained to North America, but superheroes are an invasive species that has gone global and taken over the food chain of movie markets everywhere.

23. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    I consider this to be the first modern superhero movie:
    [​IMG]

1989 Tim Burton's Batman. It seemed to become one of those cultural events of a film.

As for the genre itself, it's not as anchored to a time and place like Westerns were, so I don't see them going away any time soon.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  25. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I fully acknowledge this, but I'll still watch them if I'm bored, same as the Fast & Furious movies. What, do you think I watch a Vin Diesel movie and come out thinking that I've watched a commentary on the modern human condition? It's light entertainment. Easy to follow and provides visual spectacle. I've gradually lost my appetite for it though, I will say. Maybe it's age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.