main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superhero Overload?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EHT, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes there is clearly enough interest. just sucks for those of us who aren't interested is all. it's crazy to me that we need a thread for every marvel movie, but we can get by fine with one thread to discuss all other movies. it's especially baffling since so many of the marvel movies are just the exact same formula regurgitated again and again. i know i'm in the minority here and fighting a losing battle and it's a minor inconvenience to click through a few pages of marvel news to find something more of interest to myself to discuss, but those are my two cents.

CT-867-5309, Master_Lok and Darth Guy like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wouldn't mind if we had one DCU thread and one MCU thread and nothing more.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    As Healer_Leona there are lots of there places to discuss SW, entire boards that actually mirror the super hero threads. For me it would be difficult to combine threads discussing ten different TV shows, half a dozen films and then the universe as a whole.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    we have one thread to discuss all books, two threads to discuss all films, basically two threads to discuss all music, one thread to discuss the entirety of u.s. politics, but somehow the marvel cinematic universe with all of its rich and subtle nuance needs twenty threads.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well dear god I hope the Dark Universe doesn't take off then.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We also have threads dedicated to particular bands, tv shows, films and books when the need arises, as well as numerous threads in the Senate to tackle particular facets of politics, many americentric due to the userbase, so that's not strictly true.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i know, i was exaggerating slightly, but the dceu and mcu just seem so homogeneous to me, it's hard for me to believe such a splintered discussion is necessary or even preferable. maybe the netflix mcu should be its own separate thread as it does seem quite different, but when it's twenty films that are all sort of building to one film where everything comes together it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me that they could be discussed in one place.

Darth Guy likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think they're too busy for that personally. (I also think the main US politics thread is too busy, but I don't know how'd you'd begin to split that up)

The problem I see in combining, say, the MCU film threads is really a spoiler thing. I only saw the first 30 minutes of Spider-Man because one of the kiddos got sick and insisted she needed medicine. So of course I'm avoiding that particular thread until I can see it. However, since it's release there have been some pictures and subsequent discussion about Black Panther.

Combining the Netflix show threads makes sense to me, as it's a show every few months and most discussion focuses on either the one just out, or the one about to come out, and actually I don't think those threads get upped that much until such times.

The other Marvel shows...they're going to be on concurrently, so it's more problematic, as I doubt most people will watch all of the shows. (dislcaimer - I read all of the threads...well, skim them, but don't know if I'm going to watch any of the upcoming shows)

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well i already know i'm on the losing side of this as mine is clearly a minority opinion, but i think in the future we might need to consider your idea of a separate superhero forum. i would never sign up for a marvel forum so it's sort of sad and disorienting watching the one forum i love slowly become one.

Darth Guy likes this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    There are like 18 separate forums dedicated to SW on here, so I doubt that will happen.

JoinTheSchwarz make a separate superhero forum and move all the threads there, please.

darth-sinister likes this.
  11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    It would probably still be part of Community as is Arena and Amph, so I don't think it would change what you're seeing in terms of threads. Perhaps if you change how you view the forum and make it JCC centric, then you won't see see so many superhero threads as they're mostly in Amph.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, I suppose you'd then have to view each one.

JoinTheSchwarz also make it so you can select multiple boards within community, so the only options are not either one or all.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol yeah, if we could make it so you could eliminate a tag from your feed and then create a superhero tag that would be a pretty much perfect solution.

Master_Lok and Healer_Leona like this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Not too long ago I asked in Comms if there was a function that would just let us hide threads, similarly to ignoring users, but apparently the technology isn't there yet.

Diggy's suggestion about a separate forum is an interesting one. I know when we first moved the forums it made sense to consolidate everything into Community because the userbase wasn't that big. But what we didn't know at the time was that Star Wars would be a thing again and that cinematic universes would be all the rage. Maybe bringing back Amph is something worth looking into?

Healer_Leona likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think a separate forum is necessary. I agree with tom that they could simply be consolidated into a handful of threads without much problem. The same handful of people are regulars in those threads anyway.

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Here's an idea: put all the superhero threads in one new separate forum and place it under "Inactive Forums".

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The problem is still spoilers- even regulars don't necessarily watch everything at once (especially for things like the Netflix shows and newly released movies).

Luke Cage debuts but maybe I'm finishing up Daredevil Season 2 and want to discuss that once I get caught up- and then move into the Cage discussion (or choose to skip it and go to Iron Fist). Maybe someone prefers to binge SHIELD when it hits Netflix but still discuss the movies.

Someone shouldn't have to avoid discussing casting news, series announcements or the shows they're currently watching just to avoid Spider-Man spoilers, for instance.

Not to mention that, if these movies and shows weren't connected via the MCU, DCEU & CW, they'd have separate discussion threads under the normal Amph operating behavior anyways.

Consolidation just isn't feasible with the range of topics and level of participation currently. We consolidate the sub-universes (X, Spider, etc) already which deal with 3-4 subjects at a time as it is. A DC thread would have twice as many. An MCU thread would have four times as many. That simply wouldn't work for discussion.

It can seem to be a little much during Comic Con week when we get blitzed with news, trailers, etc on almost every subject at once necessitating multiple thread bumps during a slow time of year for other discussion- but that ultimately helps keep the news and information organized for the purposes of those discussion threads moving forward, making it much easier to locate and reference in the future.

And after comic con week? Things usually filter back down to the normal handful of current threads until it's their turn to rotate out as seasons break or pick up or movies debut.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    spoiler: the good guys win the big boss battle at the end. oops, just ruined all these movies for you.

SuperWatto and Darth Guy like this.
  19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Except for not being a spoiler at all, as the spoilers tend to be part of the journey and not the destination.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    hmm, i've seen nearly all of these movies and i'm honestly having a hard time thinking of anything that would have been a big spoiler. the journey tends to be as predictable as the destination.

CT-867-5309, Darth Guy and EHT like this.
  21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I was kind of ticked off that Pym going "Giant Man" mode was spoiled for me ahead of Captain America: Civil War.

Small moments, like that, are the spoilers I try to avoid.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000

Perhaps for you, but other's like myself, may think differently. I tend to very much enjoy the journey, the destination and the discussion in the threads.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think you mean lang going giant man mode, but that's fair. as a childhood fan of the comics, if my opinion of these movies was higher i would probably want to save little moments like that too.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't actually mind all the superhero threads (I often just scan past them), but I do see tom 's point. Every single superhero movie and TV show seems to have its own thread, distinct from the threads that cover their respective "universes". But really, the "superhero overload" this thread was mostly meant to refer to was all the movies themselves, not the threads here. :p

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I say to hell with spoilers. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't go on the internet. We could really condense this whole message board into one thread for each "Star Wars" film, show and book, each television show that has nothing to do with comics and so on. That way people can stop complaining. I mean, do we need fifty threads talking about Force ghosts and the Clonetroopers are Stormtroopers and who the hell is Snoke? Do we need social threads about a film that won't be out for three years? As well as one that's spoiler free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.