main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superhero Overload?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EHT, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I do, too, even though I agree with the gist of his post: that superhero fiction as a whole is lowbrow pulp fiction.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They're fun crowd pleasers that shouldn't have to have deep meaningful symbolism in them.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Some of us like that stuff. It's pretty rarely found with seriousness these days.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The genre's a trend, and it'll wane and then come back in vogue and then wane, et cetera et cetera.

As for symbolism and metaphor in film, it's everywhere.

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I watch them too. But unlike some people who IMO take the genre too seriously, I have no pretentions about what it really is that I'm watching. I do feel kind of silly afterwards, as a grown man watching a movie about a guy who turns into a green giant when he's angry, and I think I should.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    They shouldn't really be taken too seriously unless Hans Zimmer scores them. Then it's a requirement to take them seriously or Superman will rip your goddamned head off.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The Hulk is an allegory for the idea that men could turn green and huge and smash things when they get mad. :p

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    BWARRRRRRRRP

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    BWAM BWAM BWAM BWAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM

10. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    DUM T T T T DUM T T T T DUM BWAA BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Guys, I think we just made an action movie trailer.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's all a matter of taste. I like serious.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm fine with and expect srs bsns in other areas of my life but I don't want it near my entertainment. I definitely don't want to have to recall aspects of my English Lit classes, which I hated while I was taking them, in order to fully understand some deeper meaning in my movies.

Not that everything has to be black and white all the time, I love a good nuanced character and ambiguous situation in my movies.

But I don't want to have to analyze the hell out of the story for theme and tone either. There is nothing entertaining about that to me, only a lot of memories of "Why the hell are we reading this dumb **** again and how long before the school day is over so I can throw Ferris Bueller's Day Off in the VHS player?"

It is definitely a matter of taste though, and that's cool.

14. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off does have a deeper literary meaning to it. Per Wikipedia:

"Essayist Steve Almond called Ferris "the most sophisticated teen movie (he) had ever seen", adding that while Hughes had made a lot of good movies, Ferris was the "one film (he) would consider true art, (the) only one that reaches toward the ecstatic power of teendom and, at the same time, exposes the true, piercing woe of that age"."

:D

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Keep your sophistication away from my fun, Steve Almond.

16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Most superhero films have been thoroughly unremarkable, but oversaturation isn't really a problem. As is the case with any genre/subgenre, the surplus is bound to offer up a gem or two.

It would be nice, however, if said genre had a reliable virtuoso, like how the Western had Ford, Hawks, Mann and Leone. No director has managed to stay in the game successfully, whether their fade-out be chalked to tragic circumstance (Richard Donner), bizarre predilections (Tim Burton and Batman Returns) or I-still-can't-explain-what-the-hell-happened (Christopher Nolan and the Dark Knight Rises).

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I love FBDO. What a hilariously brilliant movie.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    AG Obama, I don't think it has to be so extreme. The first two Spiderman films are excellent examples of superhero movies with thematic content. There was nothing really sophisticated about what happened, and every important point was both acted out in the plot and delivered verbatim as a line of dialogue at least 2-3 times in the course of the film. I don't think anyone strained to understand the point they were trying to make. But we could also appreciate that they were trying to say something at all, instead of just making a big, stupid, unending action scene with a bunch of "quips" in it.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't disagree, there are always the themes of heroism and good vs evil in superhero films, as well as the responsible use of power.

Some themes and moral messages are fine as long as the movie writers don't forget how to have fun or otherwise take themselves too seriously in the process.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Prequels, no less.

You should about the first two Spiderman films being good.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The thing is that superhero films, at least over the past 10 years or so, aren't really a unified genre- they are (more often than not) an element inside a variety of other genres. Even though they are associated by their comic book origins, what they're offering audiences isn't the same type of movie, so they don't blend together into a single genre for them to feel oversaturated with.

Of the 7 films DC has put out in that timeframe, only 2 could really be seen as straight superhero movies (Superman Returns and Green Lantern, despite their space elements, are Earth-centric, typical superhero films) and only one is borderline (Batman Begins).

The others include an epic crime & terrorism drama (The Dark Knight), an urban war film (The Dark Knight Returns), a sci-fi 9/11 disaster film (Man of Steel) and whatever you want to describe Watchmen as being.

And, currently, are only making 1 more film, with a potential spin-off/sequel to follow over the next 3-4 years (depending on if they shoot back-to-back or not).

And, on the Marvel side, you have the licensed properties. Yes, the Spider-Man, X-Men & FF films have all been traditional superhero fare (with exception to The Wolverine), but Ghost Rider and Punisher are quite different (supernatural horror/action and revenge/vigilante action). Blade straddles the line somewhere inbetween, i suppose.

But those are lesser examples. Just look at the MCU films (often the focus of the "superhero traffic jam" talk). The first two Iron Man films are practically their own subgenre. Iron Man 3 turns things into techno thriller/Lethal Weapon hybrid. Cap 1 was a WW2 serial. Cap 2 is a modern political thriller. Thor 1 was a fish-out-of-water/Shakespearean family drama hybrid. Thor 2 is a fantasy/medieval epic. Incredible Hulk was Bourne manhunt/chase film. Avengers was an alien invasion movie. GOTG is space opera. Ant-Man will likely have a comedic leaning. Doctor Strange will likely be a supernatural horror mix.

Very few people are going to see these as the same type of film, outside of their comicbook origins/branding. Combine that with Marvel's limiting of their output to 2 films a year and you end up with only 3-4 films on average each year (and 1 or 2 more every 2 or 3 years when schedules overlap more on occasion). And half or fewer of them will be traditional superhero films.

I don't think you can have a Cutthroat Island for an actively popular genre. Cutthroat Island wasn't the big flop that killed off a dominating run of pirate film genre releases. It was an attempt to resurrect the dormant pirate genre, whose huge failure further killed off the genre for another decade or so until POTC came about.

Usually a genre isn't killed off by a film in that genre failing at the box office (though such things can make studio execs wary of greenlighting as many similar films so output can be slowed), but rather by a different genre emerging in sudden popularity. Sci-fi killed off the Western. Fantasy films rose in dominance over Sci-fi. Superhero films rose up over them, etc.

Alternatively, you see a genre reinvent itself to remain fresh. Die Hard "every man" action flicks took over from musclebound Arnold 80's action heroes. Hong Kong kung-fu/shoot-out-style action flicks overtook the Die Hard clones, etc, etc. The superhero genre has kinda gone this route- the campy superhero films became more serious, then after half a decade of releases started to ground themselves further into more realism, giving us the Nolan films and the MCU and, now, the reboots of other franchises hoping to match their example.

I don't think cyberpunk ever really dominated- they were usually constrained to low/mid-budget New Line and Dimension releases. The Matrix's influence was more of the Hong Kong/anime influence. You had more wire-fu, more bullet ballet shoot-outs. I doubt X-Men would have the wire-fu style fighting it does ithout The Matrix, for example.

I would assume any "same-y" look shared among them has more to do with them having to be compatible within the shared universe than anything else. Recall people were very worried how something like Thor would integrate visually and thematically as a story side by side more earthbound characters.

Success (and quality) wise, certainly- but the mid/late-90's had a pretty good stream of comicbook/superhero films. Besides the Batman and Blade films, smaller stuff like Spawn, Steel, Tank Girl, Mystery Men, etc came out at a pretty decent clip. They just weren't that good or capable of pulling in tentpole numbers,

The thing is that, while connected, they're not functionally the same franchise like Bond- and aren't perceived that way by audiences, either. Watching just the Thor films and Avengers (3 films) gives you one film series that doesn't leave you feeling like you missed an important part of the story by skipping the other 5 films. That brings them down to the typical studio franchise output of a sequel every 2-3 years. It's not like getting 2 Pirates films every year or 2 Hunger Games films every year.

Just a guess, but I'd suspect it has something to do with this:

Avengers- $1.51 Billion
    Iron Man 3- $1.21 Billion
    Dark Knight Rises- $1.08 Billion
    Dark Knight- $1.00 Billion
    Amazing Spider-Man- $0.75 Billion
    Man of Steel- $0.66 Billion
    Thor 2- $0.63 Billion
    Iron Man 2- $0.62 Billion

Penguinator likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ahhh, Tank Girl. Naomi Watts' proudest moment?

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Generally when something makes less than a billion you use millions.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  24. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    At the very least, the success of the superhero flicks has made the comic book adaptation itself more viable. Setting aside Nolan's first two Batman films and possibly The Avengers, the best funny-book movies of the past decade have been idiosyncratic in nature: Road to Perdition, Sin City, American Splendor, Ghost World, Persepolis. Hopefully, studios take a more daring approach to this burgeoning medium.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wanted a uniform presentation. Besides, "Half a Billion Dollars" actually sounds like it's more than "Five Hundred Million Dollars" even if they are equal values. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.