main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superhero Overload?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EHT, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So you're trying to misrepresent the numbers. Influence how people percieve it. :)

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Deception through truth. I work in retail.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    They are the same franchise. There are mini-franchises within the franchise, but the whole point is that they're one big connected story feeding into each other. You've got to watch The Avengers to connect Iron Man 2 to Iron Man 3 and Thor to The Dark World. If you watch just the Iron Man movies and Avengers, you're going to realize you're missing out on understanding exactly what's going on with Thor and Loki and Selvig and everything else. If you haven't seen Captain America, you won't understand what the Tesseract is other than a MacGuffin. And sure, audiences can live that way if they want and get by, but let's not pretend that they don't know that all the characters who show up in The Avengers are all part of a big Avengers franchise, and that they won't have the whole picture if they don't watch all the movies. Let's not pretend that GOTG and Ant-Man won't be marketed as "Part of The Avengers movies! You've got to see this if you love The Avengers!"

I agree that Marvel's efforts to diversify its movies are good, and help give the overall project greater longevity. But nobody's going to look at Captain America movies and say, "Oh, it's another spy movie!" No, it's another comic book superhero movie, with an espionage-thriller slant to its particular bombastic comic book action. Audiences aren't so stupid that they can escape burnout just so long as you give them a movie where Iron Man fights guys who are on fire instead of guys in power armor, or a movie where Thor fights space elves instead of space giants and his space Viking brother. Varying the flavor of superhero movies can prolong the genre's boom, but it can't eliminate the eventual decline.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think another factor in favour of these films is that television is producing a more accessible product where deeper investment in character arcs and plots can be achieved. Since these films are spectacle and bombast, as Havac rightly said, they tend to be perfect for the price and time. Unless TV has a decline these films I don't think are going to slow down, assuming a near constant rate of quality.

soitscometothis likes this.
  5. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I remember six years ago when looking at the catalog of films being released, I actually couldn't wait and I was eager to see them all. Six years later i can say I've been burnt out (which is a shame to be honest :_|), the last comic book film I watched was Dredd (and even though I'm burnt out I bummed we might not see a sequel for it). Honestly the only comic book film I am remotely interested is X-men apocalypse when it comes out, only because the Apocalypse is long overdue. Other than that I'm only looking forward to Star Wars and Expendables 3.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd argue they are less mini-franchises and more specific franchises within a larger brand that can be seen as a single franchise if one wants to, but it is not a default or mandatory perception.

Yes, you do have to watch Avengers and any single franchise to get a full story- and, yes, while audiences are now well aware that there are other films/stories they'd be missing by only sticking to IM & the Avengers, they also see that they are not forced to watch Thor & Cap & Hulk to get a self-contained experience.

It's like reading the comics- you can just read Iron Man and not the other characters titles, but once every 2 years there's going to be a crossover event in the midst of that comic run that will involve the other characters. And while it's certainly an incentive to encourage one to check out those other titles, it's not requiring you to and it doesn't suddenly make Invincible Iron Man and Mighty Thor part of the same comic series.

It's not like LOTR, or Hunger Games or Fast & the Furious where you feel obligated to see past films to get the full story or not be missing anything. There's an obvious "part 1, part 2, part 3" progression in terms of getting parts of a story with those movies.

With Avengers, it's not "Cap is part 1, IM1/2 is parts 2 & 3, Hulk is part 4, Thor is Part 5, Avengers is Part 6, Iron Man 3 is part 7..." etc. It's "Cap is Part 1, Avengers is Part 2, Cap 2 is Part 3" and/or Iron Man is Part 1, Iron Man 2 is Part 3, Avengers is Part 4, Iron man 3 is Part 5". Heck, even both of the debut marathons before each new film that has come out since Avengers reflects this.

And I'd argue that, while you certainly get more details about people's past experiences with things, Avengers does a great job of explaining the stuff you might have missed by skipping the other films- heck, HYDRA's involvement with the Tesseract is basically irrelevant to Avengers and we get more exposition and explanation about what the Tesseract is introduced in Avengers itself than we do any of the other films.

Thor and Loki spend the entire Shakespeare in the Park scene summarizing their situation. Selvig's past interactions with them is basically ignored (particularly the Thor stinger), etc, etc.

People know they're connected and know they all have superheroes of one kind or another in them, but since every film is so different a genre, it doesn't have anywhere near the same effect of "I've just seen this and this" piling up towards a feeling of overkill.

I mean, just look at the trailers for The Winter Solider. Outside of one or two shots with Cap's shield* (and, arguably, Falcon gliding), there is nothing recognizable as a superhero film- it's just a modern day military/spy sci-fi action film.

*(And, even then, you could probably just swap in a riot shield or something for those.)

Thor 2 looked more like Game of Thrones-meets-Troy than much in the way of superhero content. Nothing in GOTG will likely come across as superhero genre. Oh, they'll play up the Avengers connections so people will go "Oh, this has superheroes in it" but it's not going to look/feel like it. Not in the way Spidey, X-Men or GL have.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    2ndQuest, your argument is insane because it's too particular to specific plot details. Yes, you can skip out on Iron Man 2 and still make sense of Avengers. But you've never had to see a single previous Bond film to understand any other given Bond film. So how does this degrade the notion that what we're dealing with is a franchise? Moreover, why do you think people will attach so much significance to whether fights are happening with hand guns, laser rifles, battle axes, or bare fists? Those are really quite superficial alterations.

The fundamentals are these. All of these movies have abnormally long climaxes. They all take the form of battles, and they represent as much as 30-40% of the total screen time. All involve a character with superhuman abilities, with the exception of the one character whose whole trademark is achieving superhuman feats despite technically lacking powers. All tend to have antagonists with whom we spend relatively little screen time with alone, and whose motivations (for either the particular plans shown in the film, their broader ambitions, or both) are pretty poorly sketched. Resolving the plot will require a direct physical confrontation between the hero and antagonist. All will contain comic relief in the form of "normal" people interacting with the superhuman lead.

I could go on. But it is the crushing sameness of these films that make them identifiably a franchise, and which will fatigue people. Dress it up with a different name or a slightly different costume, the effect is still the same. There's only so many times I want to see minor permutations of the exact same story arc. Romeo & Juliet, whether set in its original timeframe, on Mars, in the modern era or in the fantastical kingdom of Atlantis, is still at its base just Romeo & Juliet. At some point I'll say enough. The sort of differences you are discussing never break the mold of this ultra-standardized "superhero movie" that keeps being made ad nauseum. No more.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  8. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I agree with everything you just wrote, but in particular I shared your confusion about the comparison to the Bond series. Quantum of Solace is the only direct sequel in that franchise's history. Outside of that one film, you literally never need to have seen a previous film to understand the plot of a Bond flick. They're all self-contained standalones.

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    You could easily jump in with any Marvel movie released as of today, without having seen a single one, and be totally fine. They certainly won't tax anyone's mind. If you're done with the movies, you're done with the movies, that's fine.

Oh, as for Bond, there's that one flick where he wants revenge on Blofeld for murdering Mrs. James Bond.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Diamonds are Forever.

Also that critique applies to Spiderman 1 and 2.

Penguinator likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True- but they are generally of the same formula. However, I would agree that the initial comparison to James Bond that Hav put forth isn't the best choice since, as you point out, not a continuous series that has ongoing plotlines requiring you to see the previous films, despite it's comparable longevity in overall output.

And there aren't really any ongoing spy franchises active (outside of maybe Bourne) for the genre to be compared to superheroes (at least not now- maybe in the 60's when the spy genre was following the 007 wave).

Your middle paragraph has no bearing on the superhero genre specifically. While a potentially accurate (though opinionated) breakdown of the films, that broad outline is not a unique or defining characteristic of the superhero genre- you can apply it to tons of other films that have no superheroes in them (just "movie heroes"). And it's not the breakdown that is advertised to the general public (and, even if it were, it's certainly not something that general audiences would focus on or even be nominally aware of on their own).

As to your initial paragraph- how the fights go down are part of the identifiable trappings of what genre a film will come across as to viewers. If a movie doesn't have the identifiable elements of the superhero genre (or they are only ever so barely present) but does have the trappings of a different genre, naturally it's going to come across as the second genre.

In other words, if it can pass as an entirely different genre, it's not going to add to the feel of cumulative superhero releases taking place in a viewer's experience (or, if it does, it's contribution is extremely minimized).

Intellectually, one would likely make the superhero association, but that's not the same as feeling it- which is what the "overload" fatigue is. Intellectually, we know Road to Perdition is based on a comic book, but audiences aren't going to see that and feel "God! Not another comic book movie!".

And also keep in mind that the "crushing sameness" you describe isn't actually the story of any of the films- it's a framework or structure but nothing that people actually identify with the actual stories and characters of the films*. You might as well complain about the ridiculous amount of films utilizing a 3-act structure because, as I pointed out earlier, it's a non-unique element.

*You have to keep in mind that we're on an internet movie messageboard. Normal viewers aren't analyzing the plot structure patterns and finer artform/technical details like we do, nor are they going to see every superhero movie that comes out (as the wildly varying numbers for the MCU films attests- twice as many people seem to stick to one MCU franchise (+Avengers) instead of all MCU franchises [which pretty well illustrates my entire point about how the public is perceiving the MCU umbrella of individual film franchises]).

So fatigue isn't going to set in for as many people as fast as those of us that gobble up every comic film. But we're not the ones that TPTB would be concerned over franchise fatigue effects- they know the fanboys and cinephiles will keep showing up, but so long as they don't lose the general public, they're golden.

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes, I know that critique applies to the first two Spiderman films. That's why they are rightly grouped as part of the same trend. They are some of its best representatives, while the Iron Man and Thor series are some of the worst. But they still have to be grouped together.

EDIT: 2ndQuest, this is, once again, insane denialism on your part. Average audiences aren't going to notice? Go back and look at the reviews of Man of Steel. Several of them complained about how insanely loud and long the climax was. Several of them mentioned this as a broader pattern among superhero films. Why? Because it is. They are all the same, and it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Everyone notices. It's almost impossible to miss. Let's get a grip here.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hardly denialism- it's pretty hard for people not to notice MOS's extensive climax (both in runtime AND content). I'm not suggesting people don't notice when something goes over the top like that, but your average action movie is going to have 15-20 minute action climax, much like most of the Marvel films.

People don't notice or complain about what they expect a film to have, they complain when it goes too little or too much beyond that. People will complain about a 75 minute film or a 3+ hour film, but they expect 90-135.

MOS was an exception, rather than the rule. The only other action film to go nuts like MOS in recent memory was Transformers 3 (which is definitely not considered superhero genre) and maybe Avatar (which is definitely not superhero but, slap a Marvel logo on it and there's not much difference between Jake "suiting up" as an Avatar and Tony Stark suiting up as Iron Man). And even Avatar was a refined experience and not a bombardment like MOS and TF3.

So, again, no pattern.

People may notice some films being similar- but not for any of the reasons you have listed. Critics might make some comparisons (as is expected). But anyone claiming TDK, Avengers, IM3, MOS, Cap 2 and Thor 2 come across as the same isn't your typical audience member and are most certainly reaching really hard for superficial (or, more accurately: medium-driven, structurally broad, subtextual) similarities beyond the red logo in front of most of them.

I'm not denying they all have superheros at their core or are part of an umbrella branding or that people aren't aware of those aspects of these films. But, looking past the subtextual/structural comparisons you've brought up, there is enough variety and distinction between these films for them to not bombard the audience with a sense of being of the same genre or sequential series- which are the key factors that contribute to genre/franchise fatigue.

Strip away all the subjective and snarky descriptions of your supposed "superhero pattern" and you're left with this:

"A character with above-average skills or superhuman ability interacts with "average person" comic relief sidekicks as they confront a bad guy, resulting in a big showdown by the end of the film."

That's not a superhero movie pattern- that's the structure to almost every major action movie ever made- plus several other genres like crime dramas/thrillers. That's Harry Potter. That's Star Wars. That's Indiana Jones. That's Terminator 2. That's The Matrix. That's Dark City. That's most of the LOTR movies.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    lol, insanely loud and long climax

That's kind of a problem with every blockbuster/would-be blockbuster. It's pervasive in a fair amount of media, it's not unique to superheroes. Ignoring that, though, man, we're getting into some intensely specific and heated debates about narrative structure.

Saintheart likes this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    No it isn't. This is just laughably wrong. For all your talk about what the "average" person thinks, you keep hand-waving away the actual comparisons to other superhero films, and replacing them with your own theoretical comparisons that could have (but largely dind't) happen. Why? How come you can't account for that fact? This is why I characterize your position as denialism.

On the other hand, let's take one of your comparisons: Star Wars. We spent an intense amount of time with Darth Vader, to the point that several people pretty plausibly argue that he was actually the main character of the story. While ROTJ certainly has a prominently featured physical confrontation, the actual resolution of the film turns on a father choosing to value his relationship with his son. All the tension in the film is centered on whether he can actually do this or not, and the most suspenseful moments are the intercut images of Luke's suffering and his expressionless mask, as he's implied to be weighing the choice before him. The humor does not come from "normal" people interacting with gifted ones, but from all sorts of points in the film. For instance, a robot talking with teddy bears, and someone wryly commenting on their own rescue.

There's not really a lot of match-up here, but all the superhero films map very easily onto what I laid out. What does that tell you?

16. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    ...that Bethany is ... part black?

darth-sinister and Darth-Lando like this.
  17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    This is like every second year literature course I ever took except about things that are supposed to be fun.

Dingo likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That tells me that you're mapping your opinions of the execution to actual plot structure and story and confusing the two.

You are very critical of the amount of character development in films as you perceive it (not saying that you aren't correct for some of them) and applying it as a genre-wide trait as if that was the launching point for the story/film, while at the same time ignoring examples that most certainly do spend a lot of time developing/spending a lot of time with characters (villains particularly, such as the Joker in TDK, Loki in anything and, to a lesser degree, Blonsky in TIH & Stane in IM1).

There's no handwaving involved here at all- like I said, I just stripped the snark and subjective opinon from your statement to show you what you're actually saying.

5/6 Star Wars films focus on a hero with special abilities (Luke/Anakin) with "normal characters" as sidekicks to provide some humor (a little more subjective in space opera given we have droids and aliens- but, in this case we have Han, the droids, Jar Jar, etc) on a mission to stop the bad guy, ending with a physical confrontation to defeat him at the end. And the sixth film could be argued to have the same thing, only the confrontation is with ships instead of swords (i won't push that point too hard, but the other 5 are pretty blatant).

The humor doesn't come exclusively from their interactions with the supporting characters (but then, neither do they in the MCU films). The bad guys have differing functions as different direct, personal rivals to our heroes, with different plans requiring the hero to either save themselves (being the target of the bad guy) or others/the world.

All the other father/son stuff is irrelevant to what you were talking about- you were the one faulting me with the claim of details being "too particular to specific plot details", despite being much broader than the ROTJ elements you're citing.

You're qualm is with the execution, not some phantom plot mold.

19. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Jabba-wocky: Here's the solution in seven words.

The Silver Surfer, directed by Terrence Malick.

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm sure there are lots of professional writers on these boards who could point out in detail that most movies made today adhere to some variation of The Hero's Journey. Not just super-hero films, not just action films, but even comedies and romance movies are being built to hit these specific movie beats. They are following this formula because it works, it has proven popular with audiences, and has made money. When critics complain about super-hero movies having these long, drawn-out set-piece endings, the problem isn't that they're following a formula, it's that the writing and directing have not been artful enough to engage the audience emotionally and disguise the framework.

And for what it's work, Superman Returns didn't have a big punch-up with the villain at the end, and that was one of the most common complaints about the film.

darth-sinister likes this.
  21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Just stop.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Aha so the Silver Surfer and Invisible Woman fall in love and go on a mass murdering spree across half the country?

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    2ndQuest, your answers are becoming contradictory. Before, your whole position was that these films couldn't cause viewer fatigue because they were all of wildly different genres. Yet, when presented with all the similarities of these films, you defended it by saying they were common features of all action films. But which is it? Are these all action films? Or are they an "urban war drama," a "sci-fi 9/11 disaster film," a "supernatural horror," a "fantasy epic" and a "modern political thriller" as you originally claimed? Because I would never categorize dramas, horror movies, or thrillers as "action movies." Nor fantasy epics, really. I think the truth, which you even you admit implicitly, is that these movies are all just the same.

But since you've protested the ROTJ is some sort of exception, let's look at ANH instead. The principal villain, Tarkin, is not super-powered. He goes through the entire course of the film (and indeed, his whole life) without knowing that Luke Skywalker exists, let alone having a confrontation with him. Luke never even has a confrontation with Vader--it's teased, but Han interrupts before the two can engage one another. The plot is resolved by destroying a device, not fighting a villain in personal combat. We are extremely aware of his personality and plans. He is trying to foil the Alliance's espionage operation against the Death Star while at the same time attempting to break their operatives to find the Rebel's main base. We know that, for him, this conflict is pretty strictly political, and there's not a deep ideological component, as he is irritated at both Vader and Motti. The humor in the film is not created by interactions with super-powered individuals at all. It is from normal characters interacting with each other about normal things (eg "Get this walking carpet out of my way"). While the climax was a half hour, which was long for its time, that's only 25% of a 2 hour film, which is proportionately shorter than what I was complaining about. Really, the only way in which this fits is that Luke has special abilities.

Or if, you prefer, let's consider another franchise you brought up: Harry Potter. While he has special powers, so does everyone else in the movie. Relative to them, neither he nor the villains have any special abilities. In fact, he knows comparatively less than many other characters. The humor is not based around interactions between special and normal people, because they are all the same. Even with a surprise villain in Prisoner of Azkaban (meaning we don't spend a lot of time with him), we still have a very good idea of what the "fake" villain supposedly wants, and also what the real one actually does once he is revealed. Once again, this summer blockbuster doesn't map well at all onto the schema that all the superhero movies fit.

To drive the point home, explain some things to me. Why did the Lizard's philosophy do a 180 from helping the disabled to social Darwinism in the Spiderman reboot? If Yama****a was going to steal Wolverine's marrow, why didn't he do all at once in the first operation, instead of waking him up, doing the bizarre faked death and chase around Japan, and counting on the off chance he could recapture him? Why didn't Zod just colonize Mars? If Loki wanted to control humanity, why not just use the magical scepter that allowed him to control humans, instead of that byzantine plot with the never-ending supply of video game re-spawning aliens? This isn't just a problem of one franchise or one movie. It's all of them. Because they are all the same. You can like them if you want, but be serious here. These movies are the same.

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    If this wasn't a circular and semantic argument before, it certainly is now.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's no contradiction. My earlier descriptions were illustrating the surface genre variety that should diminish the franchise/genre fatigue effect with viewers. You were describing plot structures that are not a component of any one singular genre (although they are common in the action genre, or other genres with action components mixed in) and, thus, would not be a contributing factor towards genre fatigue.

As far as the SW stuff goes- I actually meant ANH to be the one exception. My dismissal of ROTJ above was simply because you were addressing specific plot points which have no relevance to the structural outline comparisons and genre fatigue we're discussing.

(Perhaps they could be applied to general cliche fatigue, but again, that's usually not something genre-specific)

Likewise, your Lizard, Wolverine and Zod examples aren't relevant to that either. They're plot holes, potentially- but that's not something within the exclusive domain of superhero films, the action genre or even the film medium itself. They may be reasons why you didn't like those films, but doesn't validate your apparent position that "These movies are all the same because I don't like them.".

And as for Potter, Harry has the whole Chosen One thing, abilities beyond others and there is a lot of humor with their interaction with Muggles in addition to lesser-skilled/lesser-destined/non-elite wizard characters. The specifics don't really matter as far as the broadly general plot strokes that you're drawing comparisons to across the various superhero films, as they don't matter to the other non-superhero films it can be applied to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.