main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Superheroes in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Apr 2, 2016.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I was thinking a little while back about how Star Wars may need to add in more character archetypes outside of the usual: Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunter, Politician, Smuggler, Soldier.

Then suddenly, Space Punisher showed up in the Marvel series and just wanted to murder Imperials as a personal vendetta. No dark side corruption, no money involved, just straight up mayhem. (Then, we got Kanan Murdock. But that's another story)

Of course last year we got the cyborgs on the Empire's side that seem to have different superpowers in their own way.

Now I know we live in an age where people complain of "superhero fatigue" (I myself am really enjoying this superhero bubble in the mainstream before the inevitable burst), but I was wondering: especially with Marvel at the helm of the comics now, would you tolerate a sort of expansion of "superheroes" in the GFFA? Would this style clash with your expectations of the franchise?

Some scattershot ideas to get what I'm talking about (not trying to push bad fanfic ideas, just the sort of things that COULD potentially happen)

1) A Batman-type tech character skulking the underworld of Coruscant fighting criminals
    2) A solo series for said Space Punisher
    3) Space Punisher v Space Batman: Dawn of Nope
    4) Other vigilante -type characters taking up arms against the Empire with ridiculous monikers who are totally separated from the Rebellion
    5) superpowered individuals who are not powered by The Force. Some sort of analog to Superman, etc. The cyborg twins defecting a la Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver

I thought Agent of the Empire was sort of a step in that direction, but we know how that ended. And please no flaming, I do think the term "superhero" is way too encompassing a term (putting Howard the Duck, Punisher, and Aquaman in the same pantheon), and all I'm saying is if Marvel plays their cards right they could potentially expand the mythology of Star Wars in a great way.

starfish, Ulicus and Contessa like this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    We already have superheroes and supervillains in Star Wars. They're called Jedi and Sith.

I also never really liked the idea that non-Force-users can do things "safely" that Jedi can't do because it would turn Jedi to the dark side. I mean, one would assume that a morally repugnant act is a morally repugnant act whether or not you can levitate rocks.

3. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    Well, that's the point I'm trying to make. It's like in order to make a difference you have to be tied to a fundamental faction of the Star Wars galaxy as established in EP 4. Or you're just a criminal for hire.

Why can't there be a bored billionaire on Coruscant with access to tons of awesome tech only possible in the Star Wars universe beating criminals dressed as a Mynock?

Or the last surviving member of an alien species wiped out in the ancient Sith wars with spectacular flight abilities just trying to fend off a warmongering alien species in the Unknown Regions?

Etc

The star wars galaxy is so large, and (especially with marvels resources) it would be great to explore things that aren't tied to the history of the Republic or the battle against the dark side.

Barriss_Coffee and Ulicus like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I would love to see Jedi played explicitly as superheroes more often if/when Disney starts delving into the Old Republic era. Not, like, necessarily having costumes and masks, but in terms of some of the other tropes of the genre.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Sure, but that's all there is. Which is just odd. It's like a Marvel universe where every superhero slings webs and crawls on walls, or a DC universe where there's the Green Lantern corps and that's it. The galaxy is massive. I don't know that I'd want to go throw in a Superman analog, but it's almost surprising that there's no GFFA Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne out there. Why are the guys and gals with high tech weapons and gadgets invariably some kind of bounty hunter? Why no "classic" crimefighters?

I'd never want "superheroes" to dominate the setting . . . but it'd be nice to have 'em around.

6. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Stuff like Boba or Jango Fett going to town with their weapons kind of feels along those lines of superhero/villain. Hell, the Fetts give kind of an Iron Man vibe (or the other way around). There are so many characters in capes and masks, it doesn't really need much more. Jedi and Sith do the trick for superpowers. I, Jedi give one of the more obvious superhero moments when Corran Horn starts hunting individuals of the pirate organization he infiltrates, strong superhero vibe there. Star Wars has always had comics and superheroes in it's DNA, and I don't think it needs to go more overt than it has with that section of I, Jedi. But that's just my opinion. :shrug:

Vthuil and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    There are shape-shifting aliens, and flying aliens, and super-strong aliens, and aliens that can barely be seen... What we mere humans would consider superpowers are out there, they just don't seen so super.

jSarek and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Corran's a pretty good example, yeah, as is the general "X-Men" vibe the early Batman (lol, leaving it) Bantam stuff had going with Luke's students.

I'm sure someone was talking about that here, recently. Can't for the life of me remember who.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That was me.

The Bounty Hunter Wars was very close to this kind of thing, and pretty much anything from the Cam Kennedy-art Fett comics. I definitely got a Batmanish vibe from those, because Fett would have to find these obscure weapons to take down his enemies (those gree hoops were SO underused). And we even had the big hulking brute Batman-types (Bar-Kooda) and the calculating cat-stroking billionaire who stood in front of his oversized picture window all day (Kuat). Although I guess the later is more Bond.

This reminds me of a story that went nowhere in the EU... it was never picked up. In all the reference guides they say Raith Sienar, bored Core World billionaire, went off and pulled crazy stunts like disguise himself as a fanatical insectoid Xi Char to learn their engineering secrets. I mean, seriously? The guy who designed Maul's Scimitar, who designed the TIEs? Lex Luthor has nothing on this guy.

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Thank you for the source. I would not have believed you otherwise. :p

11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Bitten by a radio-active Force Space-Spider...

...Spider-Maul!

[​IMG]

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Not to be petty but I've posted on several threads my idea about "The Wampa-man" and been a strong advocate for introducing superhero like characters to star wars

IG_2000 You stole my idea!

I dubbed Kanan, "The Jedi without fear" and don't you forget it! :p

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Lol. Wamp-Man.

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Guardians of No where (after all would you want people finding out where you lived if it means an orbital bombardment?)

Petro Squill wannabe smuggler bad habit of lying and a big mouth usually starts fights and is often the first one to head for cover once the fight starts usually because he's thrown out of a window.
    Often steals Crash's latest blaster creation when he doesn't steal the weapons of any opponent the others take down during the fight he started...
    Amara, mercenary soldier underwent cybernetic surgery to replace the parts she lost in her large and varied career as a mercenary
    Rex the Destroyer, sole survivor of an Imperial BDZ sworn to slay the murderer of his wife, daughter, clan and home world still trying to find out who actually did the deed since by the time anyone gets as far as identifying a possible target he's already killed them before they can find out for sure...
    Root, plant based humanoid best friend of Squirrel hopes to one day find its way home but until then as long as the water is free its happy!
    Crash Squirrel, gadgeteer and Root's best friend she is the weapons expert and by that I mean she builds their weapons and is being hunted by the Empire because she broke out of a maximum security prison along with the others and an experimental stealth freighter and by that she stole the stealth generator and hooked it up to their ship before Rex broke it.

Well supers in Star Wars pretty much screams GOTG after all!

Duguay likes this.
  15. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    By day he is Momaw Nadon. By night he's HAMMERHEAD

Jeff_Ferguson, jSarek, Duguay and 3 others like this.
  16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    In Episode VIII we find out that Snoke is secretly after the powerful Kyber crystals known as the Infinity Crystals.......

In Rogue One we find out that Leia was replaced by a changeling throughout the entire OT

And in the Han Solo movie Jabba plans to blow up Mos Eisley and rebuild it so it can be "reborn"

17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That would change things for Kylo...

18. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    I wouldn't have a problem with it, though I'd prefer it to be as "sensible" as possible. I know that sounds strange, but for example, avoiding Superman-like characters would be good IMO.

ie. can Fly, Super strong, X-ray vision, laser eyes, weakness against one random green rock . . . it's all a bit cartoony

19. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002

GotG felt so much like a scoundrel/fringer focused Star Wars movie to me.

I can't remember if I ever noticed that parallel, but JAT + I, Jedi is pretty good at showing Jedi who have different talents and abilities, and use their powers for different things.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    That Leviathan comic was super... superheroey. Starring Kirana Ti as Scarlet Witch, Streen as Storm, Kyp as... I dunno Kyp you can be Wolverine until Corran shows up. And Dorsk the quiet forgettable loyal sidekick.

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Stymi like this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've always felt KJA deliberately patterned Luke's inaugural Jedi class off of an X-Men style superhero team, honestly. Can't remember if he ever confirmed it or not.

22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Yeah, this comic is sort of superhero-style. Luke is Professor Xavier and his Jedi Academy students are the X-Men, as other posters have stated. I wonder who is Magneto...?

I started rereading this comic with the hope that it could fit in before TFA, but then saw how in the first few pages Leia and Ackbar start referencing Palpatine reborn. So, probably not...

I don't know if Luke's Jedi students will ever be detailed in the new canon, but it's hard to believe writers would go through the trouble of giving them depth and detail knowing Kylo Ren is going to kill them anyway. I sort of pretend the characters in the Jedi Knight games and Star Wars: Scourge novel are the Jedi that the Knights of Ren destroyed, because it somehow makes Kylo seem a more threatening villain than if he just killed random students who may end up getting minimal background by Disney.

Back on topic--The superhero parallels go back as far as the Thrawn Trilogy. Zahn is on record saying that ysalamiri are supposed to be kryptonite for Jedi... General Hux has an entire zoo of ysalamiri, which he's planning to use on Snoke and Kylo, and which will allow him to take control of the First Order, and thus the galaxy (after the destruction of the New Republic capital) for himself.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    What

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Wowwwwwwww if you Google Image search "ysalamir hux" you end up in....... a magical weird special place........
    [​IMG]

Vthuil, Revanfan1, Senpezeco and 7 others like this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It really irks me when people call Aphra a smuggler. She's not. She is an archeologist! Like the OP I wish there were more archetypes/careers for SW heroes besides the usual.

spicer likes this.