main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superman-He's about to get really, really awesomer (New Krypton up in heres)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    [image=http://i.newsarama.com/images/alexrossposter-art.jpg]

So Superman. One of the most famous heroes, yet everyone calls him boring. Well they are wrong and should feel bad. But that's not what this thread is about. I could talk about how currently both the main Superman titles are rocking with awesome right now, or I could mention how much I love Krypto, but nay, this about how instead of just being pretty awesome, Superman is going to get really, really awesome. And it's mostly thanks to Geoff Johns.

You know Johns. He managed to turn Green Lantern into a B-list hero to the must read book of the year with an event far above the heads of all others. Of course I'm talking about the Sinestro Corps war, self contained and completely amazing. And it seems like the team of Johns, James Robinson (of Starman fame), and John's protege Stearling Gates are going to bring us the new event to read, staring our favorite Last Son. I present to you, the New Krypton thread!

What is it you ask?

Beginning in October with the one-shot Superman: New Krypton Special and then spilling into all three comics, the nine-part story promises to change everything about Superman and Supergirl's world.

"Change is what New Krypton is all about. One-hundred-thousand more Kryptonians. He's no longer the last son of Krypton," Johns said. "Obviously it's going to affect his life, especially when they all say, 'Hey! We're on New Krypton! Earth is New Krypton!' That's going to cause some problems."

For Superman and Supergirl, the prospect of having so many people like them on Earth may seem like a good thing, but the team said it's not going to be that easy.

"You've got 100,000 people with the powers of Superman," Idelson said, "but they weren't raised the way he was. They don't have human values. They don't know what's important to us. And it's going to get messy."

"And there's hundreds of Zod's soldiers in there from when Brainiac attacked Kandor. It's not like, 'Hey! Cool! We're back! Alright!,'" Johns said.

What about the team?

They seem to be pretty in sync about this

When does it start?

Next month, with the release of Superman: New Krypton special, written by Johns, Robinson, and Gates, and art by Gary Frank (Action Comics)

"A "Sightings" issue! "New Krypton" Part 1 of 9! The entire Superman franchise writing team joins forces, with art by Pete Woods and others, to formally launch the Superman event years in the making! While the current threat of Brainiac may have been forestalled in ACTION COMICS #870, the repercussions will be felt for a long, long time. Superman's greatest victory has lead to his happiest day ? and his saddest. Gains are balanced by losses while Superman has to figure out what to do with 100,000 Kryptonians! Hold on to your capes as this story leads directly into SUPERMAN #681.

Superman | 48pg. | Color | $3.99 US"

You sold me, but what if it sucks?

Than Christian will come over and wash your dog!

[image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/Wollstonecraft/SM_680-3-4.jpg]

Good boy.

Good boy

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Honestly, not please by this.

I don't think that 100,000 Superman is a good thing in the slightest. For one, as noted, it means he's no longer the Last Son of Krypton. It's like having 100,000 Jesus Christ's running around. One is pretty special. 100,000 of them may all be individually special, but it takes away the mystique.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Less interested in this than in Denny O'Neil writing Batman again!

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He hasn't been the last son since Chris showed up. He's taken that title. But he's still unique is that he is Superman because he wants to be and because of his upbringing. And with all the other heroes running around like Captain Marvel, he hasn't been Jesus Christ in years.

5. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I prefer there only being a handful of Kryptonians around. Its sounds like a unnecessary storyline. I mean where do you go with a 100,000 new Kryptonians hanging around. Still I suppose it will all be sorted out somehow.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, pre-Crisis the Kandor tale ended with Superman enlarging the fabled bottle city under a red sun, where the people were able to live peacefully. All Johns, Robinson and Gates are doing is changing it so we see them on Earth first. Odds are that any who aren't killed by Lex and his revenge squad, will wind up under a red sun.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    From the Baltimore Comic Con held this weekend.

The Superman panel Saturday at the Baltimore Comic Con took place in a very hot room before a crowd of fans who were fanning themselves, but putting up with the heat so they could hear:

Matt Idelson, Superman books editor
    Sterling Gates, Supergirl writer
    James Robinson, Superman writer
    Geoff Johns, Action Comics writer
    Jamal Igle, artist on Supergirl

Idelson said that October is going to be a huge month for the Superman books. "Probably our biggest month in a long time," he said.

The first issue of Supergirl by the new creative team of Gates and Igle comes out Wednesday and features a media blitz by Cat Grant in a story called, "Why the World Doesn't Need Supergirl."

Robinson said Gates is doing a lot for the Supergirl series, including giving Supergirl a rogues gallery. He said Gates' writing is fantastic and Igle's artwork is fantastic. "I think they're going to be one of the greatest combinations that DC has seen for a long time."

There will be a Jimmy Olsen special by James Robinson coming up, Idelson said. "This is our attempt to turn Jimmy into a vibrant young man of 22," Robinson said. "This is going to be the beginning of him as an investigative reporter. He'll go out in search of answers in different places in a story including the Guardian.

Johns will finish up the Brainiac story in Action Comics and it will continue into the New Krypton Special. All the Superman-related books will have the triangles on the front. "Each one of our books will deal with the bigger story but also threads that our characters deal with," Johns said.

Igle said in Action Comics #869, Supergirl's parents are alive, and Igle will flesh out the story. Gates said Supergirl #35 will explain everything that's happened up to this point with Supergirl and how that fits with the discovery of her parents.

The Guardian will be in a special, and Robinson explained that Jimmy Olsen will find out all kinds of horrible secrets about his past as he's refolded back into the Superman Universe. Idelson added that it will fit into the New Krypton story.

The crossover will spiral the books into different directions, Idelson said. And Action Comics is going to take a really different direction, although Johns said he couldn't talk about it now.

The panel was then opened up to questions:

- Will this be related to the Guardian in Seven Soldiers? Robinson: Not at first. It won't be dealt with for awhile. The Guardian has a daughter now, and when you see what we have planned for him it makes perfect sense.

- Will he have a relationship with Red Arrow, his nephew? Robinson: Probably not for now.

- Conduit coming back? Johns: He's dead. I've never really understood that character much, so I haven't thought about it.

- Retelling of Superman's origin? Idelson: We've resisted doing that, but we're starting to wilt to that. Johns: There's a reason we haven't yet. Keep reading.

- Why is Supergirl the way she is? Gates: Supergirl #35.

- Linda Danvers? Gates: She's in Reign in Hell right now.

- Did you plan New Krypton together? Johns: It came out of the Brainiac story, but then we expanded into more. Robinson made it more Kryptonians than Johns originally intended. The idea is to show just how special Superman is.

- What happens in Action Comics #870? Johns: It's a very difficult issue for Superman.

- Will Gary Frank be on the series for awhile? Johns: Gary and I have plans for awhile.

- What was it that drew Robinson to Superman? Robinson: The chance to work with Geoff. It seems very daunting at first to write Superman, but Johns painted "such a rosy picture of us frolicking through the tulips with all these ideas.... and we've come up with this fun adventure."

- Are there any villains Johns wants to work with? Parasite and Metallo, who I'll be delving into next year.

- Is there a good reason the Kryptonians settle on earth? Johns: Yes.

- Is Chris Kent going to return? Johns: We've got plans for him down the line.

- W

8. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    That actually does sound pretty interesting.

9. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    hell, i'd read it.
    rick leonardi drew a few supermans not so long ago.
    i liked them.

10. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Action has been fantastic. All who disagree are wrong.

11. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    The jimmy olsen special was pretty interesting. It explains some of the stuff in the atlas arc and sets yet another variable for new kryton.

12. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    The Atlas battle with Superman was exciting at first, up until Krypto saved the day. Ok, so Krypto is back in. But I wanted to see something more with Superman. Anyway, love the front cover art to the first Jimmy Olsen. I'm rather hooked on the whole Brainiac story in Action Comics with the Brainiac Finale coming to terms. What will happen to all of those cities in a bottle, so many people crying out to Superman for help. Way cool. Gotta pick up some more Final Crisis comics too.

13. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    [image=http://i.newsarama.com/images/SM_NKS_1-2.jpg]
    [image=http://i.newsarama.com/images/SM_NKS_1-3.jpg]
    [image=http://i.newsarama.com/images/SM_NKS_1-4.jpg]
    [image=http://i.newsarama.com/images/SM_NKS_1-5.jpg]
    [image=http://i.newsarama.com/images/SM_NKS_1-6.jpg]

14. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    The New Krypton special almost made me cry with the panels of Ma sitting there alone. Also; whale punching.

And why the heck does a now not dead General Lane want to kill Supes?

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Read what I posted earlier. We'll see more of the bottled cities not unshrunken.

Because, he is a Kryptonian and not all of them are to be trusted. Because on several occassions he's been a threat to the people of Earth. Because they don't know if he won't choose to side with the Kandorians. Because he chose to go to Themyscaria rather than stay in the US and fight Imperiex probes. The irony is that he's fighting his own son-in-law and apparently still doesn't realize it.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    New updates.

-Geoff Johns and Gary Frank will leave Action Comics after "New Krypton" to work on "Superman: Secret Origin". A six issue series that will recount Superman's origin from Smallville to Metropolis, taking into account all the changes and will set up upcoming storylines.

[image=http://i.livescience.com/images/origin_CVRs.jpg]

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110828-Geoff-Secret-Origin.html

-Greg Rucka and Eddy Burrows will take over Action which will not feature Superman at all. He'll be out of the book for a year. The new Nightwing and Flamebird will run the show there.

-Superman will focus on Clark being offworld. Steel, Agent Liberty, the Guardian and Mon-El will also appear.

-Adventure Comics returns and will appearently feature the Legion.

-New Krypton will launch with Andrew Kriesberg and Pete Woods.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk27/Darth_Ermac/DC/DC-2/DC-3/DC-4/sg_cv38.jpg]

Supergirl #38.

[image=http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk27/Darth_Ermac/DC/DC-2/DC-3/DC-4/sm_cv686.jpg]

Action Comics #875 and Superman #686.

[image=http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk27/Darth_Ermac/DC/DC-2/DC-3/DC-4/smnk_cv1.jpg]

World Of New Krypton #1.

18. AquaVitae

AquaVitae Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2008
    I'm curiuos about that whole Nightwing/Flamebird angle.
    Will the original Nwing meet the, uh, new Nwing?
    Like in Battle for the Cowl?:D

19. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Kara's mom is a horrid, horrid, witch and I wish she died instead of her dad.

20. AquaVitae

AquaVitae Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2008
    anyone else feel Superwoman's gonna turn out to be a villan?

21. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Not the most exciting storyline so far, depends what they do with Luthor. I like seeing his racism, and its turning out to be justified.

Can only hope this is a setup to turn him back into untouchable businessman/politician rather than mad scientist.

22. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I'm not sure how i feel about the new superman status quo. I don't like having so mnay kryptonians around. I do like the issues that superman is dealing with. I don't like that his supporting cast has disappeared.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, they're due to take the lead when the next arc begins. And I doubt we'll be seeing businessman Lex for a while, except for "Secret Origin". Lex screwed himself over with the Everyman Project. Too many know that he was responsible for the New Year's massacare, which is why he was kicked out of his company and on the run.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Okay, new updates.

-"World Of New Krypton" will now be written by Greg Rucka and James Robinson, with art by Pete Woods. Andrew Kreisberg stepped down as his schedule became too busy.

-Nightwing and Flamebird will recieve new costumes after they encounter Ursa.

-Adventure Comics #0 is out. It reprints Adventure Comics #247 and features an "Origins & Omens" back-up by Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul, who will be the new creative team when issue one hits, in a few months. Starman will be appearing here, with other characters moving in and out.

-Lois Lane will be in Action Comics, Jimmy Olsen in Superman and Cat Grant will be in Supergirl with Lana Lang. Superman will face Zod and Non in WONK.

-Chris Kent will return in the future.

-Confirmed Black Lanterns include the Earth-2 Superman and Superboy/Kon-El/Conner Kent.

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I just finished reading the entire 10-issue run of New Krypton. The concept is electrifying; the execution is mostly wretched. Maybe the fault lies with the way they do these things now, spanning multiple titles so that the characterizations vary from writer to writer, along with the style, approach to storytelling, etc. Owing to these differences from title to title, I could just never get a bead on the flow of the story. Events seemed to occur with no basis, with no understanding or explanation of why they were happening. The writing of Alura is especially one-dimensional and annoyingly simplistic, with her calling Supergirl "you little fool" and other such villainous cliches. I thought we had moved past that kind of pulp assignation of character voice. "Well, she's the villain here, so she has to talk like this." It's embarrassing to be a comics fan when this is the best the most prestigious publishing company in the world has to offer.

As to the art, I heartily dislike Pete Woods as a Superman artist; his style seems more suited to urban crime comics, a-la Detective, than epic sci-fi super-heroism. His inability to draw the S-symbol is mind-boggling, and he makes Superman look weak and anemic. On the plus side, Guedes and Correa are a superlative team, and Igle has a nice clean 80s style that I appreciate.

On the whole, I like the story -- or what I could make of it -- so it wasn't a complete waste of $30.00. But I for one would much prefer a story that's told cohesively and consistently, by one talented writing team and one skilled artist or pair of artists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.