main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Superman" Luke of the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthPhilosopher, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Regarding the issue of China-it seems Disney is in a bit of a conundrum in this regard. The OT doesn't have the same cultural and nostalgic sway in China as it does in the US(the films weren't even released in the PRC at the time of their western release) but also Disney is looking at China as a big market.

So Disney engaged in quite a bit of intensive marketing and seemingly to no avail-at least in China.

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Hero was once the highest-grossing film in China. Y'know, the one about how Imperialism is the way forward.

I don't think Star Wars really has the same appeal.

Outsourced and DigitalMessiah like this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It doesn't-and that does present a problem. Star Wars is very much a western franchise embedded in western ideas(from a particular period in western history) and is most well known and popular in the western world.

And yet China is a big market and Hollywood has been looking to tap that market for years.

It may come to pass that's what popular in the west is not popular in China and vice versa. Thus causing a major headache for international entertainment conglomerates like Disney.

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Daisy Ridley is a great actress, but it does feel like they could have cast a Chinese lead to appeal to China if it was already known Rey wasn't related to a previous character.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    While I'm all for diversity, I feel like pandering to the rascist attitudes of an audience for monetary gain is odious.

That's not to say she couldn't be Asian. Just not for that reason.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  6. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't think Disney should at all cast people based off of racial appeal. That's just wrong. I remember Marvel whitewashed a Tibetan character in Dr Strange as not to offend Chinese audiences. Where are their morals?

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Some brands work, some don't. The Fast and the Furious franchise performs superbly over there, as do Transformers and the Marvel films.

Was it not to offend Chinese audiences? I'm not saying it's not, I just don't recall reading that. Conversely they changed the gender of the role and got one of the premier actresses of her generation to play the part so... not a total loss.

8. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    One of the writers said it, then said it was his opinion and not Marvel's. [face_dunno]

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Kathleen Kennedy said Rey and Finn could have been cast by actors of any race, that Daisy and John were just the best of all those who came to the auditions.

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    They are outstanding actors. My issues with 7 and 8 aside, I always feel we are getting fine performances from these two, and Oscar Isaac.

spicer and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm honestly not sold on Daisy Ridley. She isn't that good of an actress at least in my personal opinion.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Do you feel this way about her other non-SW works too? It's possible she's been hobbled by JJ and Rian's dialogue :p

Daneira likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The only other thing I saw her in was the Orient Express-and I didn't think her performance was particularly strong in that either.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    In what EU stories is Luke most li a Jesus or redeemer type figure?

15. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Except the MCU (even Captain America), the Fast and Furious franchise and Transformers are popular in China and these franchises originate in America. SW missed out multiple opportunities it had to gain a foothold there. Arguably the most recent one was the lack of any presence in the late 00s when ROTS had finished and where these franchises were able to build their fanbases in China (or revival them arguably with TFs).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  16. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Yeah, I don't fully understand why, when so much of the polling seemed to indicate that Chinese audiences were "lost"? Like, why not do a big theatrical push of the original movies there?

17. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Tibet is a third rail to China; Beijing doesn't like it when there's (alleged) support in Western media for Tibetan independence (i.e., showing Tibetans as standing on their own).

The Ancient One in Strange was undeniably whitewashing, albeit not (AFAI can tell) intended to be racist. Still a fail on the MCU's part (not to take away from Tilda Swinton's performance - I thought she was excellent, but would've been a better Umar, with the role/backstory adjusted to fit a positive mentorship role and having someone else play the Ancient One).

AFA Luke ... one of the few things TLJ got right, IMHO, was preserving Luke's attempts to be compassionate.

There's any number of fan theories on what was going on with Legends Luke by the time of Crucible, each as about as equally valid as any other (he's secretly White Eyes, he's C'baoth pulling a Force-illusion, he never rose from bending the knee to Palpatine in Dark Empire, etc.) Entire threads have been launched, floated, sank, and rose again on the question of what was so messed up with Farmboy, so I won't rehash them.

But TLJ Luke? Points for trying to reach out to his nephew; minuses for not hanging in there and fighting alongside the Resistance.

18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    He didn't reach out to his nephew though. Taunting him through a Force Illusion doesn't count.

I miss Grand Master Skywalker from the EU. He was everything a Jedi Grand Master should have been. Wise, powerful, compassionate and extremely determined. Everything Canon Luke is not.

I believed in Luke Skywalker.

Gharlane and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

He was motivated by a want to help him prior to that, before realising that he can't be the one to help him.

I haven't read the old EU after ROTJ, but I recall people describing a Luke far less in character than anything in TLJ.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It depends on what you look at:

Bantam / DHC: Luke as a far more forgiving and compassionate character.
    NJO: Oddly inactive for much of it, but doesn't lose the compassion.
    Denningverse - 2004-2012: Source of the bulk of the damage to the character.

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    So TLJ Luke is mostly similar to NJO Luke?

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Fighting in VP, DT, SBS, EL, DW, FH, TUF,
    Talking with the government in many books,
    Helping coordinate the Great River,
    Leading the Jedi etc.
    More than he did in TLJ.

Gharlane and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah but TLJ takes place over a couple days at most, while it was the beginning of the war. Prior to that the conflict was relatively small scale from what we know.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, Luke isn't hiding out from a war, that just sorta happened. It's his great shame his failure with Ben is what drove him away. It seems by the time Ben went and killed all of Luke's students, the First Order weren't a known to the galaxy at large thing (Bloodline literally nobody knows about the FO the entire time aside from baddies keeping it on the DL). It's personal reasons why Luke leaves, not galaxy.

25. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, I tend to mostly be just fine with Luke all the way through the end of the NJO. It's the post-NJO where he kind of goes off the rails.

In other words, same as my opinion of the old EU in general.