main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Superman" Luke of the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthPhilosopher, Jan 9, 2018.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    evidently it's more morally defensible to murder someone that you think killed your wife than it is to draw a weapon on someone but not actually do anything

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Ben was a defenseless teenager, Lumiya was a known Sith lady who had shown time and time again that she was never unarmed and was always dangerous. To be sure-Luke had her on the ropes but imprisoning her wasn't an option.

And Lumiya wanted to die anyway-she considered her life fulfilled with Jacen's Ascension into being a Sith Lord and so orchestrated the whole engagement and managed to stymie Luke even in the early stages of the duel.

She was a threat and a threat who had no intention of surrendering.

There is a big ethical difference between killing a teenager in his bed and killing a full fledged Sith lady who as long as she was still breathing was a threat and one who admitted to having killed Luke's wife.

3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    One difference is one of them didn't happen

I mean apart from you trying to justify Luke killing Lumiya, I find it really troubling that you're having difficulty drawing a distinction between Luke straight up murdering someone vis-a-vis drawing a weapon instinctively and not actually doing anything

and Ben was 23

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Revanfan1 and nancipants like this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    He didn't like he was 23 in the flashback though maybe I was mistaken.

And it wasn't murder-unless you believe the law should apply to Jedi-Sith engagements which are shown both in the eu and movies more often than not to end with the death of at least on of the combatants.

Lumiya orcestrated the duel with the intent to die, was dangerous and a known Sith lady, who admitted to killing Luks's wife, and were difference in power between Luke and Lumiya not so great-Lumiya would have killed Luke-she had no compunction about it.

And remember Luke and Lumiya have a history that went from potential romance to battlefield fiasco to tragedy to mortal enemies. So emotions for both of them were probably running high as well.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    so Anakin didn't murder Dooku gotcha

Ghost and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I have to agree with Palpatine-he was too dangerous to be left alive.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    why am I having Vergere flashbacks

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Anakin chose and acted to end Dooku's life. A hard decision but a decision made. Vergere wouldn't have liked his agonizing over it.

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think it's because someone is criticizing someone's moral position while demonstrating a worse one

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Morality is just a point of view to paraphrase a well known Sith Lord.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Bruh.

Revanfan1 and Ghost like this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Which one?

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    He doesn't just sense darkness he sees everything he built getting torn down and killed, and the implication is he sees Han murdered too. And it's probably an extremely vivid vision because it's going to happen tonight.

And then it does.

Revanfan1 and nancipants like this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Okay he had a vision and an accurate one-so did Anakin. So did Jacen among other people.

Bad premonitions occur in Star Wars-but for Luke to kill on the basis of one vision-is morally objectionable. LOTF Luke didn't do that and he had bad visions to.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    ...he didn't kill him though.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    He was about to and then appeared to hesitate.

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    When we have no evidence that Ben had actually DONE anything (we're just told that Luke sensed darkness, and Luke of all people should know that visions/prophecies are not always completely accurate) and is a defenseless sleeping teenager vs. an adult dark sider who's already DONE lots of bad stuff outside of killing your wife.

So yeah, what he did in the Legends canon WAS more defensible than the Ben thing (which was just Rian yet again contriving scenarios/twisting characters into pretzels just to make his poorly-conceived plot work, imo).

It's the difference between killing someone who's guilty of evil vs. someone whom you just think MIGHT do evil in the future.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    You mean killing someone for crimes they didn't commit vs. not killing someone for crimes they haven't yet committed.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  21. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No because Lumiya WAS guilty of crimes. Sure she didn't kill Mara Jade (although Luke had reason to think that she did), but she was hardly innocent. With Ben, we have no indication that he'd actually done anything, it was all Luke thinking that he MIGHT do something in the future.

So yeah I'm very firm on this, Luke should not have for one single second even considering killing Ben. And I'm not changing my mind on that one.

22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    But NOT the crimes she was killed for. I don't punish Jaywalkers for Arson. And even then, we have Luke personally killing way more people across that portion of Legends than he does across the ST.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah but Luke believed that she had killed Mara Jade. He didn't try to murder her in her sleep because he felt like she MIGHT murder Mara Jade at some point in the future maybe. The context is FAR more believable that than with Ben.

Also I never subscribed to the notion that Luke became a total pacifist in ROTJ. Even as a kid, his actions with Vader and Sheev seemed like a specific act in a very specific situation, not a barometer of how he was always going to be moving forward.

So a Luke who is willing to kill if he feels like he has to is still far more believable to me than a Luke who has one incident not go his way, and so he essentially says "to heck with it" and runs off to pout and die on some island and who cares about what happens to the Galaxy in the meantime.

SpecForce Trooper and sidv88 like this.
  24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    You're talking about a Luke who apparently murders someone out of vengeance.

Verses

Someone who apparently considers murder for a few seconds after a dark side jump scare.

One is the dark side emerging and Luke tapping it down... the other is Luke actually acting upon the darkness.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    And Luke believed that Kylo would subjugate the entire galaxy as another Palpatine.

HE DIDN'T TRY AND KILL HIM. Christ on a motorycle, did people who make that argument even watch the movie? He instinctively pulls out his lightsaber, then stops. Kylo believes he was trying to kill him, but he wasn't.