main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Superman Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DarkPrince, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Ok, I've really been getting into the Superman comics lately, and I'll admit that its because of the movie. So, I'm looking for some reccomendations of some good comics. I don't really dig the older ones, so I'm looking for some excellent recent tellings of the Man of Steel. So far, I'm reading...."Superman For Tomorrow".

Any other suggestions? I looked in the thread index and didn't find a thread like this, so I thought I'd make one. Thanks to anyone who helps.

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I dropped the "For Tomorrow" arc around the middle. It just wasn't going anywhere.

If you don't mind hunting for back issues, the most recent run on Action Comics and Superman "Up, Up and Away" has been very well received.

I'd also suggest Kingdom Come and Infinite Crisis, although both are more about the DC Universe in general than just Superman.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Hmm... Try to pick up the Batman/Superman trade paper backs.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Okay, the most important reads for the last twenty years.

-Crisis On Infinite Earths. Two Supermen fight with a hoard of DC Comics heroes against a great threat.

-Man Of Steel volumes 1-5. Everything you wanted to know about the Post Crisis era of Superman. First volume is the origin reboot, the rest are stories from the first year.

-For All Seasons. A great look at Superman's beginnings, with a feeling of epic granduer like in the first half of the 78 film.

-Birthright. A revamp of the origin in 03.

-Kingdom Come. A look at an alternate future of the DCU, with a strong emphasis on Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

-The Death & Return Of Superman trilogy. The epic 1992-93 storyarc, in three trade paperbacks.

-Exile. Superman's self imposed exile into space.

-DCU: The Works Of Alan Moore. Contains "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow" and "For The Man Who Has Everything."

-Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told. Two volumes out. One you have to order through Amazon, probably. The other is more current, but has some different stories than the original.

-Action Comics #775. "What's So Funny About Truth & Justice?" featuring Superman vs the Elite. Can be found in Justice League Elite, volume one.

-JLA: New World Order.

-JLA: American Dreams.

-JLA: Rock Of Ages.

-JLA: Pain Of The Gods.

-The four Superman/Batman trade paperbacks by Jeph Loeb and various artists.

-Peace On Earth.

-The Wedding & Beyond.

-Unconventional Warfare.

-That Healing Touch.

-Who Is Ruin?

-The OMAC Project & Sacrifice. Major arc between Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

-Infinite Crisis (upcoming TPB). Sequel to the original Crisis.

-Up, Up & Away.

-Secret Identity. An alternate Earth version of Superman.

That's a start.

5. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Red Son.

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Personally, my favorite Superman arcs are:

-The Death of Superman arc, and his return.
    -Red Son. (This is an alternate history, outside continuity)
    -All-Star Superman
    -Up, Up and Away!

The last, the Up, Up and Away! arc is obviously heavily influenced by the movie, so people who see the movie could go pick up the comics and see similar things referenced. In my opinion, it's better than the movie. Seriously. The movie was pretty good, but it could have followed the storyboards for these comics and been absolutely the greatest comic books film ever, bar none, no questions asked.

Up, Up, and Away! is an arc for new readers, and it's a hell of a lot of fun at the same time. I'm going to be getting the trade the day it comes out, and I have the singles.

Honestly, I'm not much of a Superman fan, but Up, Up and Away! works really well.

All-Star Superman is also really good, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like Grant Morrison. It has a very late golden age, early silver age feel.

7. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. There is a comic book store about 5-10 miles away from me. I should have some time to get down there and pick something up.

Thanks again. Anymore are welcome. :)

8. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    All-Star Superman is also really good, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like Grant Morrison. It has a very late golden age, early silver age feel.

I liked 1 and 2 but I found 3 and 4 absolutely ridiculous.

Up, Up and Away was pretty good, though.

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Holy Moses. I remember when I was all excited for it and you said how you were "Meh" for your dislike of both Morrison and Quietly.

10. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    So far, I've only read 1 and 2.

And "absolutely ridiculous" is how I would describe the majority of what Grant Morrison does. It's like he has a mystical connection with me, so he can see exactly what the plot points, character ideas, and story arcs I'm going to hate are and write them specifically to annoy me.

11. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Wait to you read 3 and 4. They have nothing to do with the story whatsoever.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you're coming from the film hype perspective, Superman: Peace on Earth is something you'll probably really enjoy.

E_S

13. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Ah. Kind of like how Xorn changed 100% completely in his X-Men run? No connection whatsoever to what GM himself had written about the character only a few issues previous.

I hated that.

14. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'm rather fond of "Godfall" but thats just because I'm a big fan of Talent Caldwell. The story isn't exactly great but it is kind of fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.