main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Superman Returns discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Sith Magician, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Classy!

I'm off to Galleria Morley straight after work for the 5.30 session.

2. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Who's dressing up for it? ;)

[image=http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2006/ft060626.gif]

3. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    [image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE/superdickhead.jpg]

ME DAMMIT!

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    lol, i dare you to wear that on friday!! :p

5. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
  6. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    It's like Christopher Reeve and Bruce Campbell's love child :p

7. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    [face_laugh] =D=

8. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I have two free tickets that, I believe, I can use this friday night. If anyone wants to join us free of charge, let me know!

9. Ivo

Ivo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    Just watched Superman Returns it was really good, alot better than I expected I won't go into details, but if you haven't watched it yet do it you won't regret it.

10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    This movie rocks and or rolls.

All night long. Beautiful film and BRAVE.

11. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    [image=http://pvponline.com/archive/2006/pvp20060702.gif]

Best review yet.

12. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I agree Sithy. This movie had so much friggin heart. It was brave to stick to it's guns in themes in this cynical world we live in.

I've now seen this film 4 times which, besides the Star Wars films of late, I haven't done since I was 13 when Stargate came out.

13. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I'd like to watch it sometime soon since everything I've heard about it is good. I'm glad they didn't opt for yet another origin story. Sounds like the one good thing about Singer not doing X3 was SR!

14. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    I havent managed to see it yet! but hopefully soon! :)

15. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    If you get stuck for someone to go with let me know Steve.

16. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Might be taking the family to see it on Friday if you're free JA. Not sure which session but we'll probably go to Hog's Breath either before or after it.

17. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I could possibly make it tomorrow, Pm me when you know decide which session you'll be seeing and I'll see if I can make it.

18. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I just saw it and I have to say it's one of the best films I've seen recently. I'm glad they decided to follow the other films since I don't think doing it any other way would have worked so well. Sitting in the cinema and hearing the same familiar John Williams superman theme in a new film was a bit like the goose bumpy feeling I got at the beginning of my first TPM viewing. Some of the actors bore an uncanny resemblance to the actors in the originals, especially Routh and Spacey.
    Overall I think it was more serious than the original with less of the goofy/comical side of the characters (especially lois) but I don't think that was a bad thing. Like the originals it had a pretty predictable plot, with not much depth but IMHO that's how superman's supposed to be. I don't think it's meant to be deep and meaningful like spiderman or batman (or x-men even) so I think Singer did a great job of keeping the look and feel of the original while still managing to turn out a modern and fun film. Definately one to see on the big screen. I've been a little disappointed with many of the recent big budget and overhyped blockbusters but not this one.

19. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    This was fairly deep though steve! Perhaps yu didn't take that away with you after the first viewing, but ultimately it wasn't about Superman fighting Lex Luthor, but his struggle with being alien to the world he protects- and finally gaining that connection to the Earth in his son- solidifying Earth as his HOME, rather than him feeling like an immigrant or a visitor.

20. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm not sure about Spacey as Lex Luthor, I kept seeing him as from his role as Dr Evil from Austin Powers 3.. lol ;)

The moofie itself I didn't think was too bad, some of the Superman (cg) models while flying looked kinda awful, but didn't really detract from the story.

I liked it, but it seemed fairly long for what actually happened.

21. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I know the deep element was there in the story but a lot of it was still pretty predictable like the kid being his son for starters. I basically just saw it as a good action flick and I think that's where it worked best.

22. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Is there any shame in an element of a film being forseen though? I mean- theres BAD predictable like a pie hitting someone in the face, or a bananna peel causing someone to slip over..

But you can't hide everything- and why should you? I mean the director hints at things like that so that you come to a realisation beforehand.

23. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I like to think of Superman Returns as a well worked remake of the original. Think about it for a moment. How many scenes could you compare between this and the original movie? A fair few, from memory. Don't get me wrong, I actually like that, very much so. I laughed at all the in jokes that referenced the movies that came before it, especially some of the dialogue by Lex Luthor.

24. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Exactly, the reverse argument is fan-boys whining that something came out of nowhere and there was no build up to an event.

25. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I never said the predictable plot was a bad thing - in fact I thought I was saying it was a great film (mustn't have made that terribly clear). I think it was a good thing that there was more of a focus on just making it a fun film to watch rather than trying to get too deep the way some recent movies do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.