main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Superman Returns (No Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by weezer, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Here is a thread where people can discuss Bryan Singer's Superman Returns without fear of being spoiled. If you aren't catching it opening week or it isn't coming to your area until later you can continue to discuss and speculate on the movie without having any of the movie's twists revealed.

OW506 EDIT: Per our spoiler policy, this thread will now merge with the spoiler thread

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Oh, finally a safe haven. The stupid trailer spoiled that the goofy guy with the glasses was not who he appeared to be. :(

Ok, seriously, I'll bring up a non-spoiler subject... I got another Diet Pepsi fridge pak yesterday, but once again, I did not capture Lex. Has anyone here managed to do that?

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    No, sorry. The funny thing is, I probably unintentionally got it and threw it away when I was done with it. :p

So without talking about spoilers, let's talk about the basic plot. What exactly is it? Is it a continuation off of the older Superman movies?

4. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well part I and II at least.
    No but I did win the Lay's game. :D

Got a DVD out of the deal. Unfourtunatly I already have it so I'll have to give it away.

5. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    On a related note, after weeks of drinking only water and sparkling water, Diet Pepsi tastes pretty nasty. [face_sick]

I've bought a few of the Lays with Superman on them, but I haven't won anything there, either.

6. weezer

May 16, 2001
    ^^^ Yeah, I actually did it with the Google Earth Superman game they have. You get 10 chances a day and with the thousands of prizes there are it works out pretty well.

Can't win anything for another week though. I'll be giving it another try after that.

7. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Good luck. :)

When are you guys going to arrive at your theater tonight? I hope to be there by 8 PM. There's no way of telling whether this will be as huge as the ROTS midnight showing I went to (lines as far as the eye can see) or the King Kong opening night showing I went to (only a handful of people), so I want to be there early.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Oh I think it will be a bit in the middle. I think I'm going to go around 8 ish.

9. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I received Superman 1 and 2 from Netflix today, since I've never seen either. I plan on watching at least the first one tonight, and I'll probably see Superman Returns this weekend.

10. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    The crowds won't be as big as ROTS! Then again, I remember going to the ROTS screening about 20 minutes after the lines dissapeared, and walked right in.

There was hardly anyone at the Batman Begins IMAX screening I went to last summer, maybe about 20 or 30 people there.

I don't think the shows will be sold out. Probably half filled theaters, I assume. Many people will be seeing it on the weekend.

11. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    My Batman Begins midnight showing was not quite as big as ROTS, but it was still very packed. There was even this one guy with a rubber Batman mask... I wonder if anyone will go dressed as Supes tonight.

BTW, I haven't read Ebert's review (for fear of spoilers), but did he mention if he saw the digital or IMAX versions? Seeing as how he has a huge bias against digital filmmaking and 3D movies, I wonder if the presentation had anything to do with his negative views on the film.

12. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Yae, a spoiler-free thread! I have been avoiding spoilers at all costs. Whenever the trailer comes on I quickly shut my eyes, cover my ears, and then sing any random song loud enough so that I can't hear anything.

My schedule is so booked that I dont' know when I'll get a chance to see the movie. Hopefully sometime next week.

I keep thinking Brandon won't be a good Superman/Clark Kent but odds are I'm probably wrong. I do however think Kate will make an excellent Lois Lane.

13. Clayface

Clayface Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2006
    You and I think opposites. ;)

Obviously I can't be sure about either, but Brandon looks like he'll do a good job.

I'm still leaning towards the prediction that Bosworth will either ruin the movie, or taint it... a lot. I didn't like her at all in Blue Crush (then again, that was a chick flick), and I'm guessing that she was cast for Lois thanks to the "tough girl" quality she exhibited in the movie.

Spacey's going to be genius, I don't think there's much doubt about that.

All-in-all, this should be a pretty good movie. I should find out in about 10 hours.

:)

14. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    And that's where you and I are opposite: I actually thought Kate rocked in "Blue Crush" but then again I live for chick flicks. You and I do seem to have one opinion that's in the same boat: I too think Spacey will do a good job portraying Luthor.

My expectations aren't really high for this film, I guess because no matter what nothing can beat the originals /c Reeve. The only reason I'm going to see it is because it's Superman, other than that I've got no other reason.

15. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Conor saw it last night. I'm interested to hear what he thought of it.

16. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Wow, I thought I was alone in enjoying Blue Crush. That movie perfectly captured the feeling of summer.

Out of the whole cast, I was most worried about Bosworth, but she delivered the goods in SR. Still, for me, the definitive Lois is still Dana Delany's voice work in the animated series.

17. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I'm going to ruin it for all you. In this movie...Superman...Returns!!!!

*Exits*

I hope to see it sometime later this week. I've remained preety much un-spoiled, knowing only about the major characters. I saw a clip of the film on the Tonight Show, but other than that I really don't know much about the movie. I have high hopes for it, hopefully it'll live up.

18. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    So get this. The wife says she doesn't like alien movies and since Superman is an alien movie (Technically, I guess) she doesn't want to see it. :p

Oh, we're going to see it tonight.

19. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i was going to midnite show with my sons. i bought bald caps for us to wear only i scheduled a procedure on my neck and felt like crap so i havent seen it yet. i hope to see it tomorrow. girls are so stupid. i never wanted to see chick movies or talk about lip gloss. give me aliens, and superpowers and worlds in danger, i am content.

20. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm going to be seeing the movie hopefully sometime next week as time is so limited this week unfortunately.

And while I enjoy chick flicks, I could also use movies that have superpowers and EBEs (don't like using the term 'alien' since it sounds too sci-fi.)

21. Clayface

Clayface Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2006
    I saw it earlier today, and I must say my predictions were completely wrong.

Bosworth was excellent, as was the rest of the cast. But she definitely surprised me.

The plot was a bit too predictable, thus toning down the suspense level, but it was still a good movie. I wouldn't pick it to win any awards, but nevertheless I recommend it.

:)

22. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    GREAT movie!

23. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Going to go see Superman Returns tomorrow!!!

24. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Can definately say that staying spoiler-free was worth it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.