main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Superman Returns Trailer:

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    The use of the John Williams theme of Krypton from the first movie, and Marlon Brando's voice over as Jor-El is AWESOME!

www.supermanreturns.com

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
  3. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    i thought it was continuing on in the story not remaking it lol oh man.

4. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Can you download the trailer from there, or is it just a streaming thingo.

5. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    ...It is continuing on after Superman II

6. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    yeah string boy!

Basically it's called superman returns because he leaves earth mysteriously for 6 years and returns to find Lois is married with a kid and the world has learnt to live without him.

An the reason why it continues after II is because the rest of them suck ass!

(Nuclear Man?)

Allegedly whilst shooting the 1st supes, Richard Donner shot 80% of superman 2, only to have it scrapped and taken over bu Richard Lester (I think).

But apparently The previous footage seems a LOT Better and had a lot of promise, so some guys edited it with some pieces of the "official superman 2" to make a superior complete picture.

This may be insano Urban Legend, but the other version is available somewhere.

7. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    And WB didn't like the other version of Superman 2.

I didn't think Lois was married in Superman Returns. I thought she had a boyfriend.

8. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    you're probably right man. You're the superman person around here!
    (more supergirl I suppose!)

9. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    The trailer was pretty cool. Has the S logo been slightly updated ?? Looked good.

10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    yeah! his cape looks cool! whatever fabric was used for that, I want a cape made out of it!

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    It's a terrible shame Richard Donner didn't complete both movies. The second movie looks entirely different to the first, like it was much more a made for TV movie than something that belonged on the big screen. The original still looks and feels like a proper, timeless movie. The second one looks like a...well, a seventies flick.

And the trailer gives me some concerns. I'll cheer for Big Blue making it back to the big screen, but the trailer makes Returns look more like a buddy flick than a slam-bang blockbuster. Where's the danger to Supes? Haven't they got an enemy big enough to show to the world at the earliest stage? The John Williams theme is nice to hear again, but it just doesn't sit with the CGI'ed images cobbled together for the consumption of Generation TXT. Especially that last shot...Christ, are they ever going to stop referencing Matrix Reloaded? Please, God, don't let that be the opening scene, basically Earth sitting there, then Supes showing up in silence and descending to Earth without a word. CLICHE!!!!!

EDIT: Ugh, the photos on the site. Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor could be fun, but otherwise...ergh.

12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    The trailer leaves me with a raised eyebrow.

I have nothing more to say except who in the world is this Brandon Routh???

13. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    .. A nobody who is about to be typecast for the rest of his life :p

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That'd be about right. :p It almosts seems from his appearance (IMDb picture) that they simply chose an actor who looked like Christopher Reeves the most. Which causes the "what-if-he-ain't-good" factor in my brain to stir.... [face_tired]

15. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001

16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I mock your lack of bracket. :D :D :D

Yeah, the whole flying thing was a Superman reference, I accept that, but I just have a problem with the two images being so much the same. Returns doesn't need to nod to the Matrix. I think I've put my finger on the niggle I've got, though: Superman looks like X-Men or Spiderman, and they are not cut from the same cloth. X-Men's narrative in the comics and on film was moody and introspective, with limited superpowers, while Superman's larger-than-life world-destroying powers give him almost the power of a god--even in the comics they had limited success with Supes having inner conflict. In short, Big Blue shouldn't wind up on the psychologist's couch filmwise. Have big feats, big rescues, and big themes. Don't turn him into a complete human. He isn't written like that.

Frankly, the next superhero show/series I'd like to see them do would be Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and/or Dark Knight Strikes Back. Now that would be worth seeing.

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I've just recently been watching stuff to do with Spider-Man?documentary style. Your comment, Saintheart, I thought I would reiterate and add too. From the stuff I watched, they said that when Spider-Man came around in the early 60's, he was something new?in the way that he was simply a teenager and he had problems. Whereas the rest of them (Superman included) were straight heros?they battled the badies (which Spider-man of course did as well) but didn't fight their inner problems.

And so I'd agree with you on the point that Mr. S should simply save the world in the film and simply kick@$$?and not end up, as you put it, on the 'psychologist's couch'.

Does anyone know who the villian is in Superman Returns? (Or is that not revealed yet?)

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    The photos on the site include Kevin Spacey with a bald head and a sour look on his phiz. I'm assuming Lex Luthor is back in town.

19. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Ah yes, of course. I forgot about him. IMDb confirmed that Lex Luthor is around and played by Kevin Spacey. :)

Well, let's just hope he's up to the challenge and can outplay Smallville's Lex Luthor?he was done quite well in my opinion. :)

20. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999

It's actually closer in line with his appearances in the 30's or 40's, but is still slightly updated. This is in line with the rest of the film, which has the appearances of the 30's but with a modern slant on the setting.

For what it's worth, it's set in Sep. 2006, at least that's the date on the front page of the copy of The Daily Planet I aquired.

Agreed, I'd love to see what was originally planned. The second one seemed like it was cobbled together using some of the original footage with some minor pick up shots. And don't get me started on the whole cellophane giant "S" thing...

As has been said, Lex Luthor is the enemy, as well as Superman's own psyche and the shadows of his own secret life, but you'll see what I mean by that...

Referencing Matrix Reloaded? When your own thing is referenced, and you use it again, it isn't referencing the thing that's referencing you, if you follow..

But no, that's not the opening shot, and the closeup of Supe's eyes isn't from that scene either, if you want to know what that's all about, PM me.

An unkown actor from, I believe, Iowa. I think he's perfect, he's just about from Smallville himself.

I haven't seen him act myself, but I've heard he does as good a job reprising this role as Ewan McGregor did with Obi Wan. Plus, he does look a hell of a lot like Reeves, the first time I saw him I almost blurted out "Holy hell, you can walk!".

But then again it was getting dark at the time...

I think it stems from concerns about how modern audiences would relate to such a character, would he be too god like to even consider a human on a sociable level?

A different film and reason perhaps, but that's the reason why King Kong will be smaller in Jackson's new film, the concern was that the character could get too big for the audience to relate to. It's a different concern with Superman, powers instead of size, but I think it's the same thing.

Incidentally, this debate itself is touched upon in the film, a talk about life the universe and everything betwee

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think the danger in forming opinions with ****-all knowledge about that to which you are opining is that you tend to look somewhat silly later on.

If you don't know much about the film, why are you panning it?

Superman is desperately needed on film.

Why, you ask?

Simple; because the world needs a hero.

I don't mean a cynical hero like Marvel's crop; or a brooding almost anti-hero like Batman; I mean a total hero, one who embodies every virtue we ought aspire to.

Bryan Singer is trying to remain faithful to the vision Donner had for the first film, which worked so well. It is certainly one of the best, if not the best, superhero films of all time. When else do you get a perfectionist director together with the man who lensed 2001, the author of the Godfather, the set designer from Star Wars, and the composer of Jaws and Star Wars?

E_S

22. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I don't know if people here know this, I have seen it on a movie news site elsewhere, but Singer pitched his story idea to Donner first and got his aproval before taking it to WB.

Also, what you said about the people working on the original film reminded me what I was going to say about the Matrix connection.

The VFX director for Superman Returns worked on all 3 of the Matrix films, with mostly the same crew and in the same studios. So really, it is kind of inevetibale that some of the minds in charge there may be mimicking their own work, which may have been mimicking Superman in the first place...

23. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Looks good to me, it's not going to be a defining moment in film but I hope it's a bit more impressive that Fantastic Four or The Hulk. Or Catwoman.

Superman has never been one of the "cool" characters IMO and I don't think the kids will get...or want to get.... the idea behind Superman (which is basically what Marlon Brando is rabbiting on about, that Kal-El is an example of what humanity can strive to be more than a superhero). That being said, Bryan Singer is certainly a clever director fellow so he might be able to pull something out of the bag there.

24. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Hmm Catwoman stunk, but the Hulk was awesome. It was just too smart for it's own good.

People just wanted to see a huge green guy break things, but it was much more involved than that.

25. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    It's interesting, the whole movie industry of late. Big action movies just don't seem to cut it anymore for an audience compared to, say, even 5 years ago. Mainly due to the impact of Spider-Man, LOTR (a tad) and Harry Potter. It's combining the action with something that either a) hits home at a personal level to the audience watching, hence relating to the character on screen or b) a story that's more then your typical 'hero saves the day'. Now that's not to say we don't watch action movies anymore, more there's a sudden, sharp, turn in hollywood for that intellectual property to go along with the biff bam wham. There are more of those on screen then in relation to a typical action title, which do still exist but certainly aren't cluttering the screens as much as they used to. And when they do, they bomb worse then ever before.

Batman Begins is a perfect example of a movie that does both action and intelligence so well. I'm not arguing for or against that really, but it's a fairly clear trend in my eyes by producers and studios. Argue against that if you'd like ;)

I'm hoping Supes will have that kind of mix, but more action in this case, since that's what makes the character who he is. The word 'God', as mentioned before, isn't too far off. My one worry is that, since I'm guessing there won't be anything similar to the bad guys of Spidey, we get just a similar spin on the supes vs lex formula. No offence to Spacey, who's a great actor. But I think Supes deserves to battle someone who really does place the Earth in peril. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of the comics so ... any ideas who?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.