So NV Superman Returns

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Axia_Doneeta, Jun 19, 2006.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. Axia_Doneeta Jedi Knight

star 3
    http://www.newsarama.com/movies/Superman/Superman_Review.html

Here is a review of the new Superman movie, I found it surprising considering this movie was made by Singer.
  2. DarthDarkstar Jedi Master

star 4
  3. DarthDarkstar Jedi Master

star 4
    SUPERMAN RETURNS TODAY!!!! SUPERMAN RETURNS TODAY!!!!SUPERMAN RETURNS TODAY!!!!SUPERMAN RETURNS TODAY!!!!SUPERMAN RETURNS TODAY!!!!SUPERMAN RETURNS TODAY!!!!SUPERMAN RETURNS TODAY!!!!SUPERMAN RETURNS TODAY!!!!SUPERMAN RETURNS TODAY!!!!

i'm sorta happy about that....
  4. GersonSith Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw the 10:15 showing tonight in a digital theater. And it was an incredible movie. Way awesome. A crapload better than I expected. Now we need to start a petition to get Singer to redo X-Men 3.
  5. Jankarakk FanForce CR Southern Nevada FF

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    yes it was better than expected....however...it could have been shorter. and the colonnade could have turned on the a/c. that would have made my 2 hour 45 minute stay in that chair more bearable.
  6. DarthDarkstar Jedi Master

star 4
    I...Uh.....WOW.

Thats how I felt after watching the movie.... This movie was AMAZING! So many cool things. (Lex Luthor, Brandon Routh, the piano thing, cyclops, Jimmy, the plane, kryptonite shank) AWESOME.

Two things I did not like... My Theater was also really hot. And the guy next to me was on a date and was trying to impress the girl he was with by spouting out dumb things like:

Dumb Boy: Did you know they don't make Superman comics anymore.
    Naive girl: Really? Why not?
    Dumb Boy: Yeah he died in the comics. I mean, they brought 4 superman into the picture, but none of them are really Superman. They killed him and never brought him back.

I wanted to chime in and ruin his date, but then I thought against it. So all that to say, I had no complaints about the movie.

I'm watching it in IMAX with 20 mins of it in 3D Tomorrow.... yay.
  7. Talon_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought the film was weak. Average at best. Singer made a mistake in coming to this franchise, his choice made Superman Returns and X-Men 3 just average in my opinion.
  8. DarthDarkstar Jedi Master

star 4
    What did you not like about it? And you can't blame X-men 3 on him, he didn't do it... oh, unless you are blaming him for not doing it. Are you saying he should not have come to the comic book franchise?
  9. Talon_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, I blame him for not doing it. X-Men was great with him at the helm, he should have stayed there. Here is what I thought in more detail:

(vague spoilers)

Brandon Routh does a good job of acting like Christopher Reeve, which is good, if you like Reeve's interpretation of Superman. Keven Spacey was a highpoint, and they really should have given him more scenes to display Luthor's maniacal side. Jimmy Olson had potential, but was underdeveloped. Why did I not like the film?

Too sedate. Very calm, very thoughful, very contemplative. Just seeing any kind of burst of energy, whether it be Spacey or a car out of control was like being able to come up for a breath of air when your are drowning.

Too long. If there was more excitement, more plot to draw you in, then I would not have noticed time passing. But I kept checking my watch wondering when I could go home and be bored in comfort.

Lois: uninteresting. She had no spark to her. Even in terms of her physical appearance, she was just sort of blandly attractive.

Superman: boring. Watching Superman hang out in space and listen to things was novel for the first second I saw it in a preview months ago. His angst over his lonliness was not believable. His compassion for humanity was assumed, not evangelized. His failing to see through Lois' words/lies (when a 5th grader could) was silly. His picking up massive things and flying with them was not filmed in a way to truly communicate the magnitude of his feats. It was as if he was a machine, programmed to zip around and do good things, and occasionally smile and not at people. Routh was not nearly muscular or broad enough, and unfortunately didn't quite have the sqare jaw that is ever present in the mythos. He just wasn't that masculine, and the way he portrayed Superman didn't help.

The plot: (Deeper spoilers found here, so beware) This was the worst part of the film for me. Superman has been about all that is good, clean, moral, and right. I felt the Superman mythos was violated by this film, soiling the pristine image of Superman. The same reason I did not like Superman II was continued in this film. Truth, Justice and illegitimate children. Hoorah.

(Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against children out of wedlock or those those who have them... unless you are from Krypton and your name is Superman and you are supposed to be the symbol of what is good and right and blah blah blah)

This was not the Superman I grew up with. Heroes embody what you strive for, and Superman was not just a man, he was a Kryptonian, superhuman, embodying the pinnacle of virtue and acheivement. His weakness was his compassion (and Kryptonite). The drama and angst of life, wrong choices and bad relationships were reserved for guys like Spiderman or the X-Men, not Superman.

Bryan Singer should have stuck with X-Men. That is a franchise that is better suited for him and his style.
  10. Petra_Blakkwing Jedi Master

star 4
    plus....Superman is the lamest of the lame when it comes to superheroes...the only reason i would consider watching this is for Kevin Spacey alone....and even then i'll only watch it if i have absolutely nothing better to do...
  11. MoronDude Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've seen Superman, and now I will tell you what I thought.

Superman Returns was disappointing. For a superhero movie, there was soooooo little actual action. The few action scenes were phenominal, but watching Clark Kent going "Um...uh... Lois... I, uh, I have umm, something to... to... you know what, nevermind." for the majority of the movie was lame! Kevin Spacey was great... the perfect Lex! It would have been even better if Lex and Superman were in the same scene for longer than 4 minutes. What a great climax... Superman saving the world from a Kryptonite island, then 20 minutes of him in a Coma. And come on, you can't just pass off the kid as being Superman's without some explination! How could Superman impregnate Lois... they are of two different species! Anyway, the plot was dumb and boring.

X3 was MUCH better!
  12. DarthDarkstar Jedi Master

star 4
    I still loved it... and seeing it in IMAX 3D was freaking awesome... well probably not for you hata's (yeah i went all ghetto on you), but for the few that enjoyed it like me, it was awesome.

NOW TO CLERKS 2!!!!!

Oh, well I guess Pirates first.
  13. Bleyd Jedi Knight

star 1
    I enjoyed this new one MUCH more than Superman 3 and thousands times more than Superman 4 that's fer darn sure.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie