main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Superman Returns

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, May 22, 2015.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You know that scene on the new landmass where Superman is weakened and gets beat up and stabbed? There's a part right after he's stabbed where there's some dialog that is difficult to make out. As Superman is being repeatedly beat down, he is yelling "I'm still Superman! I'm still Superman!" I was thinking that I must have heard wrong, and it's actually Lex prematurely proclaiming "I killed Superman! I killed Superman!" Which would fit. It's a very Lex thing to do. But I checked with IMDb, and the former is actually the correct quote.

With a shard of kryptonite lodged in his back and about to get beat up and drowned, he's yelling "I'm still Superman". I find it a weird line of dialog to put in at this moment. What does he even mean by this? What are we as viewers supposed to get from this line?

[​IMG]

2. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    He means that no matter what Lex does, he is still Superman. He can be weakened or killed by Kryptonite, but that doesn't change the make up of his character.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

I concur.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Still light years better than sociopath Pa Kent.

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    classic denial

6. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I do like Superman Returns, mind you. No matter what anyone says. I just find this particular moment puzzling. I don't understand what the writer was thinking here.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    IMDb Superman Returns faq

8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't even remember that line

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don't remember much of the film. Other than its over reliance on John Williams Superman theme. It felt like it was player every five minutes.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    You say that like it's a bad thing. :p

TX-20, Rew, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I wish I could take Return and MoS and splice them together in a better movie.

12. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i liked that they just moved on using Superman 1 & 2 as the background. Singer just made it too somber.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I actually liked Superman Returns. I wanted to see where Bryan Singer was going to take the character since he now has a son. I did some online searches to see if Singer revealed how he was going to handle the son of Superman in the sequel, but didn't find anything. Although, I did find some comments on ComingSoon.net that Singer made about his follow up film to Superman Returns there were pretty interesting.

He thought about using Man of Steel as the title for his film instead of Superman Returns and that he wanted Darkseid as his main villain in his sequel.

Here's Singer on why he didn't do the sequel:

Here's Singer comments on the reactions to Superman Returns.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like Superman Returns as a sort of alt. universe (with different actors, even if Routh gets reallllly close to squint-and-it's-Christopher Reeve) coda to the Donner-verse flicks. Yeah, I still think it's almost unspeakably lame that Superman ditched on a pregnant Lois (especially if you view SR as a sequel to Superman II that freakin' ends with Superman flat out saying "I'll never leave again!") but I think it still emotionally works, kinda, in spots, mostly, as a successor / finale to the Donner-verse movies. Superman does have a kid and his mom kinda likes him again, yay!

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Clark didn't know Lois was pregnant when he left. He didn't talk to her before leaving for Krypton and in his view, if he had done so, she would have stopped him from going. In more ways than one.

16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I used to rag on this movie, but after enduring the unmitigated horror of Man of Steel Into Darkness, I'm willing to forgive Singer for everything save for the miscasting of Kate Bosworth.

Folks, no matter what, never complain about a reboot's dearth of action. The studio will just end up handing the franchise over to Zach Snyder.

TX-20, Rew, Abadacus and 2 others like this.
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It could have been worse.

[​IMG]

It could have been far worse.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  19. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Actually, I'm very anxious to see The Death of Superman Lives, that crowdfunded doc about the cancelled Cage flick. I'm very intrigued to know what was the plan for it, how they were going to approach the material and et c. You know, there was a time when Nicolas Cage was just an actor and not an internet meme. And before you ask; no, I didn't back the doc, but I am curious to see it.

-Jedi Joe- and TX-20 like this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The plan for the film or the documentary? Man, that was just one giant cluster**** of bad ideas. And that was before Smith's story got out. You wouldn't believe some of the **** that was being written.

21. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    The plan(s) for the movie.

22. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i'll just never forget the letter i read in the magazine that reported on Cage doing Superman. the response from one reader:

"What's next ? Danny Devito as Jesus Christ?!"

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

[​IMG]

darth-sinister likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I find Returns nostalgic. Summer it came out, it was the first Superman film I had ever seen, and it was the summer before freshman year of high school. I was a lot happier and far less cynical.

Until I watched POTC: DMC a few weeks after seeing SR.

25. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Despite all the numerous flaws in Superman Returns, it was a heck of a lot more satisfying film than Man of Steel was.

*promptly runs and hides from Ender Sai*