I.E., CA Superman tonight - Wednesday June 28

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jedifan77, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    han-shot-first, his wife, my kidlette and I have tickets to see Superman tonight at 8:10. Anybody else up for an early showing before the meeting next week?
  2. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    ATTENTION ALL!!! posted this on two other postings as well. going to see superman at 8:10pm tonight at AMC in theater 17...big screen. jedifan77 is also attending. I know theres a get together on the 6th, just figured since we couldn't wait and it comes out today...3 of 4 stars rating, well what the heck we're there! anyone wants to go, you can call me on my cell at 760-617-3800 and we'll tell you where we're sitting. hope to see you all there. that includes you mr. aboutasith...
  3. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I just got home from Los Angeles. We camped out for 26 hours for the showing last night at the Chinese Theater, then we saw it in IMAX 3D today.

OMG SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
  4. arodofhoth Jedi Knight

star 3
    GREAT GREAT GREAT MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D[face_dancing][face_dancing]

A+ HANDS DOWN:D
  5. JediLarryB Jedi Master

star 2
    I agree! Bryan Singer & Co. knocked one out of the park with this one!
    Same good ol' Superman we love from 1978 -- with a few new surprises!
    It was wonderful! Can't wait to see it in IMAX 3D!

And seeing the movie at the famous Chinese Theater with a bunch of fellow Super-fans was a blast!

Look, up in the sky...!
  6. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was a great movie and I enjoyed it, but am I the only one that sees a problem with the moral issue (no spoilers) and this being seen by so many young children? Call me the Mayberry Jedi, but I'm struggling as to which way my decision goes on this movie.
  7. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    went with jedifan77 to see movie...pretty good except for the illegitament child...ha ha. i'm bringing beach balls to midnight pirates showing at edwards on the 6th. real to play? [face_dancing]
  8. JediLarryB Jedi Master

star 2
    Ooh, don't get me started on the secularization issue. I loved the movie, because it had the qualities of a richly entertaining film. But, like you, I do have some reservations about it's moral issues, including the one you brought up.

For me, it was the idea of needing a savior. For instance, most religions have their respective saviors or prophets. And, according to the movie, it seems that without Superman, the world has none.

For a dependent, victimized society, Superman could be viewed as a savior. But I've always seen Superman more as a role model, an ideal, an inspiration for the hero in all of us. He embodies Hope.
  9. arodofhoth Jedi Knight

star 3
    Did you guys see the A&E doc "The Story of Superman" I loved it.:cool:
  10. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    we're right there with ya jf77. totally agree and the whole savior thing...that makes sense too.
  11. JediLarryB Jedi Master

star 2
    Yes, I got that on DVD. It's terrific!

Any Superman fan needs to have this one! BTW, the DVD version is 30 minutes longer than the broadcast version, and it doesn't have commercials. I also picked up the Max Fleischer Superman cartoon collection that's mentioned in that excellent documentary. Enjoy!
  12. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ATTENTION: SPOILER ALERT!

Superman's father told him that he wasn't human, so we can't go with human weakness as why he's got a illigentament kid. He's not a god, but he's supposed to be the essence of goodnes and truth; a role model. If he was gonna take a chance of creating a child, he would have gotten married because of the values he presents and upholds.

That storyline wasn't needed. Now Lois is will continue to lie to her live-in that the child is his. Sooner or later, she's going to have to fess up. Superman knows the child is his, but can't/won't claim him. More lies. This storyline involves a lot of lying and that doesn't work with the characters. It just didn't work for me.

Morally speaking, how many young impressionable kids will be watching this and taking it all in. I hate that they felt this story line needed to be put in. Superman is a hero that is supposed to be moral. This storyline doesn't fit.
  13. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    I couldn't agree with you more jf77. goes to show once again how hollywood tries to influence people into what's "normal or okay" and how for some unknow reason that once again fathers are not needed. this whole story line could've been and should've been removed as it wasn't relevant and was in major conflict with supermans character. this is what happens when hollywood tries to hard to be hip and cool and to be "in with the times" as if this is normal. what happens is that kids see this and think this is okay. the special effects were top notch...story line was pretty good...the whole kid thing...bad!!! but hey it's my opinion :)
  14. Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    but the piano scene was funny
  15. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yea, it was!! I clapped and yelled! =D=
  16. Sith_Hunter Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi there. I liked the movie, but Parker Posey and Kate Bosworth were miscast. Love Brandon and Spacey. Effects were great. Sorry, but this Lost-a-holic is finding it hard to go back to the movies. The movie was a tad long, but I did like it.
  17. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much Lois for me in this, not enough Superman and Lex.

I'm going to wait and see how they justify the child thing cos it was 100% stupid but this is supposed to be part of a trilogy so i'll wait and see how that pans out.
  18. arodofhoth Jedi Knight

star 3
    well remember in Superman II Superman and Louis do it in the Fortress of solitude.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.