Supermegafest 2006 - WE RAISED $426.00 FOR THE DFJFA!!

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by DarthWormie, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    I know it's still early, but the first SW guest for this years SMF has already been 'announced'. While it's not up on the SMF site yet, if you head over to David Prowse's official website and check out the 'upcoming events' link he lists the 2006 SMF as an appearance!

As always we plan on having a table of our own as well as the usual hand-outs and daily raffle baskets for charity. Keep checking back for updates as we get closer to the show!
  2. Abhors Elder Guest

Last years SMF was a BLAST, and I really wish I could make it to this years, but I'll be moving down to Philadelphia in the beginning of October. Wish I could make it again!:_|
  3. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's another update for you guys. The guest list has been updated over on the official site. In addition to David Prowse (only SW guest so far), Yvonne Craig (TV's Batgirl) and Elvira have been added along with Scituate's own Mark Goddard from 'Lost in Space'. For the wrestling fans out there, 'Mr. Wonderful' Paul Orndoff will also be making an appearance.

http://www.supermegafest.com/
  4. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    Have you tried to book a fanforce table yet?

I can help out with the cost of this and I am sure we will get more of a turnout with fanforce members this year.

5. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    I know I gave towards a table last year and would be willing to do it again. If we want a banner for the table let me know. Like I said before the place I work we have a graphics department that can take anything picture we give it and print it to a banner or anything else for that matter. The guy is pretty darn good at his craft. He designed a shirt for a whiffle ball tourny I was in during Memorial day weekend. Did a really good job on them. He could probably help out with some shirts and other items as well. I had a brain storm on this the other day and now forget it all. I need to start writing stuff down. lol Also we could see if some of the local collectors from st.com would be interesting in joining on a table. Since there are at least 3 of us that are members there as well. Just a quick thought.
  6. Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    David Prowse is cool, but I wouldn't mind meeting Mr. 1-derful, Paul Orndorff seeing that I'm an old school wrestling fan! :D
  7. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't had a chance to call about a table yet. Between work and everything that's going on personally this month (Weddings, Christenings & Charity Walks) June is going to be a blur. I plan to get on it after the 4th of July weekend.

One of the things I planned on talking to the coordinators about was changing the location of our table a bit. Preferably I'd like to be against the wall like we were a couple of years ago, but at the least, I want to be facing in on the 'celebrities' instead of out on the collecting floor. What do you guys think?
  8. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that being close to the celebrities especially the SW ones will help us out. I haven't been to a show yet but I would say that being in view of the celebrities would definitely be a good thing.
  9. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    As I wasn't there last year, I can't comment on table placement then, but a couple of years ago, we were in a pretty good location, about halfway between Anthony Daniels' table in one corner and the Alderaan Base/NEG one in the opposite corner along the same wall. I'd like to see if we can get similarly situated this year.

BTW, the main problem w/ me last year was transportation (as it usually is). As my friend Ed didn't want to go, I tried to arrange a ride with PadmeSusyQ, but that fell through when she could only stay that Saturday morning before heading to New Hampshire. I'd think about taking the T Commuter Rail to Framingham this year if I could get a ride from the train station to the Sheraton and back to the train station.
  10. WifeofVader Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wasn't able to make it last year either due to the family issues that I was having. At this point, I am planning on possibly being there which would work out for you Richie... as I could give you a lift to and from the train station.

Perhaps we should all meet somewhere to discuss the table, etc. I know that I have NO idea what the tables are for... I know that we had raffles last year but, other than that I have no idea.
  11. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    WifeofVader

DarthWormie is planning on a meet in August @ his house in Hopkinton, which will also include the Foxboro and Providence people (and possibly others), to discuss our Supermegafest plans. Perhaps you've seen DW's post about it in the meet ideas thread.
  12. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    WoV,

As Ritchie mentioned, I do plan on holding a dual meet with some of the other FF Groups in the area this summer to discuss plans for this years SMF. It will most likely be held in August. More info will be posted as we get closer to August.

The table's main purpose is to spread the word about our group and hopefully recruit new members. There is also the baskets full of SW goodies that we raffle off for a charity TBD. The table also gives us a 'home base' at the show where we can all get together, talk about whatever and even take a breather from looking at all of the cool stuff for sale!
  13. WifeofVader Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks guys... this is all new for me! I'll be sure to keep checking back.
  14. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    I look forward to getting together and discussing what we can do for SMF. Like I said I could provide a new banner for the table. Plus other things to hand out with our names on it. The guy in our graphics department told me to just let him know what I want to do and he will hook me up. I just pay for materials which isn't bad. We have a printer that will take a picture and heat seal it to pretty much anything. I will also help out with a donation for the table and give to the baskets.
  15. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll chip in for the table, and for one of the baskets, I'm hoping to get the Windows X-Wing collection (The X-Wing Collector Series {with the Windows versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter}, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter {with the "Balance of Power" add-on}, and X-Wing Alliance). They're old games, so they can be had fairly cheaply on Ebay, but whether or not I can get the games in the basket (and which ones) will depend on how cheaply I can acquire them. I'll at least try for X-Wing Alliance, as that game has mods available that improve the sound effects and the ship models, among other things.
  16. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    I was just on the SMF page and unless they offer a lower table rate for fan clubs, it appears the cost of the tables have gone from $100 to $160. Like I said, hopefully there is a lower rate for fan clubs since we're not there selling stuff and making any profit. When I make contact with the promoters next month, I'll definitely ask them about it.

Jorge, I definitely plan on taking you up on the offer of a vinyl banner for our table. I think I mentioned it before, but we would probably be better off going with a universal 'Fan Force' banner since we will most likely have reps from at least 3 New England chapters. I figure each chapter can have their own flyer or pamphlet at the table to hand out. I am also thinking about getting ahold of some group shots (maybe 2 or 3) and blowing them up to display. That way we can give people a better idea of what it is we do besides just talking about SW.
  17. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Another guest has been added for this years show. Jane Wiedlin of the Go-Go's is scheduled to appear both days.
  18. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Recently announced on the site: maybe the greatest heel to ever grace a WWF/WWE ring..."Hot Rod" himself, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper! :D
  19. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    David Prowse has apparently opted out of Supermegafest, as I no longer see him listed among the guests. :(
  20. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    That's to bad. Thankfully though I already have his autograph. Hopefully the folks over at SMF will add a couple of more SW guests to replace him.
  21. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    I just took a look at the site and it has Saving Star Wars starring David Prowse with him presenting it for Sat night if I read that correctly.
  22. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's the direct paste of what was under the movie's graphic:

Saving Star Wars - Starring David Prowse. We will be showing this award winning film at 6 PM Satuday Night! Free admission!

Nowhere does it say he was presenting the film in person. Someone is welcome to call the show's promoter (John DiCiccio) and ask if Prowse will still be appearing, though.
  23. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, not that Summer is 'unofficially' over, it's time to dust the beach sand off of our lightsabers and get down to business. SMF is about 10 weeks away and we need to make some decisions. I was hoping we could take care of it at a dual group meet, but time is running out so we may have to make these decisions here online.

Jorge (CKW) has graciously donated his resources in getting a vinyl banner made up for the table. Since over the past couple of years it's been less of a Boston table and more of a Fan Force table, I've created a graphic to better represent that. As soon as I get it up onto my photobucket account I'll post the link and let you guys take a look and voice your opinions. Also, we not only need to start listing what each of us will be donating to the charity baskets, we need to decide on a charity.

The past few years we've donated the proceeds from the basket lotteries and poster sales to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. While I still believe this is a noble cause, I also think that each year perhaps we should choose a new charity to help. Spread our wings in the community if you will. I also wanted to throw out my selection for such a charity that could use our help. There are a couple of great organizations out there right now that are doing alot to help families who suffer from Autism. Two such organizations are www.autismspeaks.org and www.cureautismnow.org. Let me start by saying that I do have a personal interest in this cause. For those of you who do not know, my son Jefferson was diagnosed around the age of 2 and a half with PDD NOS (Pervasive Development Disorder) which falls under the Autism Spectrum. Today, 1 in 166 individuals is diagnosed with autism, making it more common than pediatric cancer, diabetes, and AIDS combined.

I don't want you guys to feel that you're abligated to choose either of these organizations. If you have a charity that you'd like to nominate, please do so. I just wanted you all to know why I chose who I did and for what reasons.

I plan on getting in contact with the organizers of SMF sometime within the next week to get a cost for the table. If there is any other questions you want me to ask, just let me know. Either post it here or drop me a PM. I'm always checking the boards.

?DW
  24. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey DW

Are we still getting together @ your house this month to get some of the planning done?
  25. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    What are some of the things that usually go into the basket? I'm not sure if it counts as 'artwork' but I've got blueprints that I've drawn of a TIE fighter and X-Wing that I could supply. Both done in a standard plan (top) and side views (side/front/back) and are fairly detailed. I could even get them framed too! Also have prints of just about all of the lightsabers used in the movies and some from EU that I could throw into the mix.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.