main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Supermegafest 2007

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Wildstar02301, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I posted the thread on the Boston forum, but wanted to repeat the major highlight here...Ray Park (Darth Maul in "The Phantom Menace") has been tentatively scheduled as one of the guests.

2. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Hi guys....

We didn't really touch on this Saturday. November is coming more quickly than we think as time seems to be rushing by....

What's the plan this year?

3. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Right now the plan is . . .well, I guess there isn't one yet. :confused: ;)

We will have a table, that much is definite. Last year I didn't reserve our table until the begining of September, so we still have a little time to raise the money for it. I'm guessing it will again be $100 for the weekend and that will come with a limited amount of passes (5 or 6 if memory serves correctly) which will go to members who want to help staff the table.

We will also be doing our annual raffle to raise money for a charity TBD. If someone knows of a local, non-profit charity that they think would be a good candidate, please post it here. If it's a charity that benefits children, all the better. When we have 2-3 to choose from I'll set up a poll and we can choose one. If we only get one suggestion, that's the one we'll go with.

We will also be collecting donations for the raffle baskets. (1 basket per day) I've already put some stuff aside as I know a few of you have as well. Anything SW related is accepted. Modern, vintage, bootleg, it doesn't matter. All I ask is that it is in 'decent' condition. Last years baskets had everything from figures to Pez dispensers to Burger King toys.

We also received a couple of unexpected toy donations from one of the dealers there. =D= That may lead me to ask some of the other dealers if they have something, anything that they would like to donate this year. The bigger the baskets are, the more money we will no doubt raise.

So for now, feel free to nominate a charity and set a few things aside for the baskets.

4. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Sounds good to me!

I had previously mentioned Cam Neely's foundation. So, that's my nomination for this year! =)

5. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    That's one!

6. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    More guests announced @ the official convention site:

Doug Jones (Silver Surfer from the recent "Fantastic Four" movie)
    Angel Medina (Spider-Man/Venom comic artist)
    Donna LaCroix and Brian Harnois (GhostHunters)

7. mattdamick_is_back

mattdamick_is_back Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2007
    I will definitely be the to help man the table. I will also donate at least 1 GG bust or statue and possibly some other stuff it depends on what i have in my inventory.

I am all for any charity we decide on but i feel it should go to children.

Let me know if there is anything i can do.

8. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    If I need you, I'll just fire up the old 'Matt-signal';)

Thanks for the offer!

9. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Hi there again!

My room mate, John, can't get here during the week from work or from home (no access, obviously) but, he asked that I make his suggestion for voting:

Shriners

The do A LOT for kids and burn victims.

Then there's Denis Leary's fire fighters fund.

The options are endless!

10. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Mike will we need a new banner? I am assuming yes. If so please let me know soon because I don't know how much longer I will be at my current job. I am hoping to be gone by the end of summer.

11. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I was thinking we probably will Jorge. I'll work something up for you in the next day or so and email it to you.

12. Nate2161

Nate2161 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2007
    I know this is for the Supermegafest, but does anyone go to the United Fan Con, I know they don't usually get star wars people, but the show is still great, and they get guests from all kinds of other shows within the genre. It was great, last year they had all kinds of stargate guests like Gary Jones and Docter Zelenka. Then they had Grace Park from Battlestar Galactica. It was well worth the money.

13. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Never heard of the United Fan Con, is it local? If so, when is it?

14. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Update on choosing a charity for SMF:

Before we make a final decision, there is one more charity that I had wanted to nominate and had forgot. I think it fits what we are looking for as far as it being local and for children. Here is a little blurb about it from their web site:

The Home for Little Wanderers is America's oldest and New England's largest, private, non-profit child and family service agency, with its roots dating back to 1799. The mission of The Home is to ensure the healthy emotional, mental, and social development of children at risk, their families, and communities. We do this through an integrated system of prevention, advocacy, research, and direct care services.

You can check out more info on them at their web site: http://www.thehome.org/site/content/index.asp

15. Nate2161

Nate2161 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2007
    United Fan con is in Springfield. It is not huge, their are usually less guests than at the Supermegafest, and it is run by dominatly startrek, and dr. who fans, but it was lots of fun. this year i think it is the first week of Nov. the site is http://www.unitedfancon.com. they don't have any guests scheduled yet, but like i said they usually have great people, last year it was William Shatner, Grace Park, Mark Strickson, and Peter Tork. The year before they were supposed to have Patrick Stewart, but he had Family obligations, and they switched in Leonard Nimoy.

16. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I remember that one now. I think they actually had Peter Mayhew as a guest a few years back. I think the lack of a SW guest would keep us from having a table (a la SMF) but it could make for a possible meet if there is enough interest.[face_thinking]

I just checked out their site and unfortunately the con is the week before SMF. I was hoping it was maybe a Sept. or Oct. con.

17. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Another addition to the SMF guest list has been announced. WWF (Yes, I said WWF) legend George 'The Animal' Steel.

I may get his auto, but only if he's signing photos of his role as Tor Johnson in Tim Burton's movie 'Ed Wood', which is one of my all-time favorite movies.:D

18. Rogue-Girl

Rogue-Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2002
    I am pretty positive I am going to supermega fest, so if I miss all the meets leading up to it, at least I'll be going to this one!

19. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    The man of with the Green Tongue will be there awesome. The Animal was one of my favorites back in the day. He was funny as hell. I may have to get his autograph. Now all they need to get wrestler wise would be Hawk from the Road Warriors and The Rowdy One Roddy Piper and I would be all set. Ok I forgot Ax and Smash from Demolition and the Ultimate Warrior. lol

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    So the choices are down to 2. The Home for Little Wanderers and the Cam Neely Foundation. Both of these I feel are great choices but we can only go with one.

I tried to add a poll to this thread and was unable to do so, so hust post here with your choice. I'll give everyone about a week and then we'll make the final decision.

21. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    My vote is the Cam Neely foundation.

Mike do you have a graphic made up for the banner?

When should we get things posted about who is donating what and who will help work the table? I should be able to attend one of the days. It will be Spencer's b-day that weekend so I am sure the wife and I will have a party for him at some point.

22. Mohawk-Elvis

Mohawk-Elvis Jedi Master star 1

Jan 28, 2007
    I am good with whatever we decide to go with.

I will be available for both days of the con.

Does anyone want to get a hotel room there?

Just thinking because it would beat traveling back and forth and we could split some cost.

Just an idea.

23. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Well, since August is almost a week away:eek:let's start getting some of the specifics clamped down. We'll go with the Neely Foundation as our charity of choice this year. When I get back from vacation, I'll send a letter off to the explaining who we are and what it is that we do at the SMF every year. I'll also need them to sign off on any signage that we'll be using with their name on it.

A hotel room is a good idea, but I won't be able to do it because of the wife's work schedule and the kids.

Jorge, I can't seem to find the banner art I did last year. Do you remember what size we made it? I think it was 6 feet by 2 feet. LMK when you get the chance and I'll email the art to you ASAP.

24. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    I think 6'x2' is about right or close to right. It can be a lil bigger because we can always change the sizes to fit accordingly.

25. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Cool. I'll email you a file before I leave for vacation on Wednesday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.