main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Supermegafest 2008 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by rpvee, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Just checked out the SMF site and there still is no A'list attendees... Star Wars or otherwise. It has been updated at the bottom that the 501 Garrison will be there collecting Toys for Tots and taking pictures for small donations to the Jimmy Fund.

I've not heard back from my contact about my question on if any A-list SW attendees were in the waiting.

Just keeping you all posted.

2. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Hey all, here is an early version of one of the prints I will have at this years SMF:
    http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kltrooperbestyn8.jpg

3. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Dude, that's freaking fantastic! The perfect item to have Anthony Forrest sign!

4. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    Hey, guys! If someone can provide a large enough TV, I would be happy to bring my Xbox to hook up. That way, if we have the TV on the table and facing the crowd, people could play, and it would bring attention to our table, thus the raffle. I'd bring Star Wars Battlefront II for the game (the best Star Wars game ever, in my opinion), and I even have bonus levels and characters downloaded to my Xbox.

Just a thought. I asked my mom, and she says it's OK. :)

5. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Bieren, that's is effin' GORGEOUS!

Brian,

The XBox idea sounds good... would it work though? I've never been to SMF - would it be allowed?

I have a 20 something inch tv we could hook it up to...

Great idea!

I am going to email my contact to find out when I can expect the passes.

6. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    I don't know why the Xbox wouldn't be allowed. I think we even had a TV last year, if I remember correctly, though I think it was more for the people behind table than the people visiting it. This time, with my Xbox, we could make the table more interactive and fun. :)

I'd also be happy to help out with the table (if there's no age limit or anything - I may be too young). Last year's SMF was my first meeting with you guys, so I just stopped by a couple times to say hi. But I want to actually help this time. :)

7. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Brian, I don't think that age is an issue and, as far as I am concerned your help will be welcomed and much appreciated!

Will you be able to make it to the meet on the 19th - we plan to basically finalize all our plans at that time.

Also, the holiday party is December 20th this year - hope you can make it to that again as well!

I am really liking the X-Box idea... :)

8. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    19th... that's a Sunday. That day will be quite busy for me, and I wouldn't be free until after about 6:30 PM. :(

Have we even decided a time and place yet?

The 20th of December is pretty far away, so I have no clue if I'll be around then.

9. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I don't know why but, I have a feeling that my contact is going to back out on the passes he promised.

He just sent an email asking to remind him of who we are and what we do as he has 2 SW groups down as attending and he wants to make sure he is "keeping everything straight".

Will keep you posted.

10. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Don't sweat it. Sounds like the 'other' group (RL?) may NOT be doing a fundraiser so he wants to make sure that the extra passes and such go to the right group.

11. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I don't know about that Mike... here's the response I got:

"Ok - I do remember - so let me see what I can do - We are REALLY tight on tables this year. Please bear with me."

I will keep you all posted.

12. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    That sounds like a line of total BS. How tight can they be on tables? They're scattered all over that place and I'm betting with the economy there aren't going to be as many dealers there as in the past. Plus you contacted them very early in the process, alot earlier than I used to.

When he 1st gave you the table and passes, was it over the phone or via email? If by email, make sure you copy what he said back to him. To rescind his offer to a non-profit there to raise money for charity now is a horrible business practice.

If he wants to take a table away from a SW group, I can think of one he can go after who annually gets a free table and passes, does no fund raising, and just stands around at their table.

13. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Honestly, Mike... I was too ticked yesterday to respond. I have this morning done just what you mentioned and forwarded our original communications wherein he asked for my address to send the passes to.

I mentioned that we had already contacted our charity of choice to let them know what we were doing and that they were looking forward to seeing if we break our record from last year.

Now it's all up to him. I've fought for it... I will, of course, keep everyone posted.

14. Darth_Beanie

Darth_Beanie Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 20, 2008
    We better not lose our table they had already promised.

I know we will have another great year and for them to do this now is just bad.

I hope that they will get back to you soon and confirm this in an e-mail.

Let us know as soon as you hear anything.

If they running out of tables, I will bring one myself!

15. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I had a dream last night that we set up in the parking lot! :)

He's been getting back to me pretty quickly so, hopefully he will continue that trend today.

As soon as I hear, you'll hear.

If anyone wants the original string, PM me and I will send along...

16. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    As promised, here is his response:

OK - I checked - you are right. Sorry for the confusion. We will mail the passes soon.

17. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Glad to hear everything worked out. I'm sure the fact that you still had his original, emailed promise had something to do with it as well.

18. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    That had me worried... I'm glad it's all cleared up now!

Can you ask if the Xbox is allowed, just in case?

19. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    before I email him about that: Mike or Chris, do you know if the game system/tv will be allowed?

Also, what is the clientelle? Lots of little kids, mixed or mostly older folks?

What if there was someone in costume at the table for picture taking (ie: a couple bucks for a pic with ****) ??

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    The TV/Game Console should not be a problem as long as the table is in the same place it's been in the past. if it's not up against the wall, we'll have no access to power. No power means no TV/Games. So you don't need to ask Mr. SMF-Man about the TV/Game issue, just ask him if our table will be in the same location as last year.

The past few years Jim has brought his laptop and played some SW fan films as well as other things on it. In fact, Jim did bring his XBox or whatever it was last year. Just keep in mind that space is VERY limited on and behind the table. between all of the raffle baskets, supplies, cashbox and other give-aways, there is barely enough room for 3 people to be behind the table.

As for the person in costume. No sure how successful that will be considering the 501st will most likely doing the same thing as part of their fund-raiser. They usually have an area set up complete with backdrop and even props. Plus the RL will be there and while they don't generally do any kind of fundraising, they are all in costume and will pose for pictures with anyone who asks them. So if they're doing it for free, I'm not sure anyone will be willing to 'pay' for pics at our table. Even if it is going to a good cause.

The clientele is definitely mixed but the majority is men between the ages of 20-40.

21. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Has anyone booked their room yet?

22. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    I' am sure you can bring/play video games there.
    This year, SMF will have an official "Supermgafest 2008" T-shirt. Anyone want to guess who designed it?

23. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    I'm guessing... you? :)

I hope you spelled the name right in the design, though. :p

24. BIEREN

Oct 12, 2005
    You got me. The shirt says "Supermegafest 2008"

25. Darth_Beanie

Darth_Beanie Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 20, 2008
    When I get back from Chiller ater this coming weekend I will be getting from what I am told a "bunch of shirts and movie posters".

Hopefully they won't all be all from "Mama Mia" :p

I am hoping for some Clone War,Iron Man, Hulk, Indy 4,etc. type posters.

I do have a bunch of the smaller movie posters sheets from this summer's Mummy movie and a few t-shirts so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.