main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Supernatural] Gone Huntin': Winchester family ficlets (new thread) Updated 1/6/11!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Author note: It's been some time since I attempted a Supernatural drabble. But after the failure of my recent SPN on shot, I figured it was time to get back to basics. I hope you enjoy. I think I hit closer to the mark with these.

Drabbles of the Brothers Winchester

In the Storm

"I know you heard me, Sammy," Dean groused. "Did I stutter? No."

Sam raised his hands in a conciliatory manner. "How could I have known, Dean? The online news photo showed clear ground and sunny skies."

"You're the researcher, Sam," Dean continued. "You should know."

"Yeah sure, Dean. It's my job to know that a freak snow storm is going to hit the middle of nowhere and keep us trapped in traffic for hours."

"I hate snow, Sam. I hate traffic even more," Dean complained, tapping his hand on the dashboard. "It's extra wear and tear on my Baby."

"Deal with it," Sam replied with a shrug. "By the way, you might want to embrace the snow."

"Why?" Dean asked, turning to look at Sam curiously.

"Remember how Bigfoot isn't real?"

"Yeah, so?"

"Not so for the Abominable Snowman," Sam said with a smile. "We have a credible sighting."

Safety First

"You brought me to North Dakota for the freakin' A.B.S.?" Dean scoffed, turning the corner from irritation to outright anger and disgust.

"If I recall correctly," Sam responded, unfettered. "'Just find us a case, Sam. I can't handle all this sitting around.'"

"And this is what you come up with when challenged?"

"Did you reload the shotguns?" Sam asked, ignoring his brother's ranting.

"Yes, Sam, I reloaded them?"

"With buckshot?" Sam asked sarcastically.

"Of course!" Dean growled, shooting a sour glare in Sam's direction. "Since when do you need to check my work?"

"Just asking," Sam replied, grinning. "I hear rock salt just make the Snowman mad."

Puzzle

"Agents Westin and Axe, Ma'am," Dean said as he flashed the fake ID in the face of their 'credible witness', a Ms. Roberta Brennan.

"You look a little young and soft for special forces, Son," Roberta said, while taking a little too long to appraise their appearance.

Roberta, for her part, was about 5'6 and weighed 150 pounds. She wore brown overalls and a white turtleneck under a heavy black coat which hung open. Her hair was curly and grey cut fairly close to her head.

"We're FBI, Ms. Brennan," Sam gently corrected. "Not military."

"You don't look right?" she said looking puzzled. She pointed at Sam. "You might look a little like Michael Westin with a haircut, but you're partner is definitely no Sam Axe. Who are you guys?"

"Listen, Lady, we're here to investigate your sighting," Dean said, irritation evident.

Sam stepped in front of Dean. "What he means is, we heard about what you saw and we came to see it for ourselves."

"Don't patronize me, young man," Roberta shot back. "I'm no fool. You better get your college asses of my property before I go back inside for Stanley."

Dean snorted. "Who's Stanley? You're husband?"

It was Sam's turn to glare at Dean. Dean shrugged but stepped aside to appraise the house and yard.

Her face scrunched in frustration as she turned and trotted up the steps back inside the house.

Solitude

"Who k-knew Stanley was a long r-range hunting rifle," Sam chattered as the two brother hiked up a trail Roberta had shown them.

"You are so gonna pay for this, Sammy," Dean bit out, hugging his leather coat tighter around him. "Hiking in the snow without proper gear is almost as bad as a season in Hell."

Sam rolled his eyes, but knew Dean was right about the proper clothing for hunting in subzero temperatures. He shivered.

"This is the place," Sam said, pointing to the tree Roberta had marked. "Smart woman; marking the place where she saw it."

"It was a bear, Sam," Dean argued. "A.B.S. is a fairy tale."

"Kind of like your abs?" Sam jibed.

"Bitch."

"Jerk."

"What now?"

"We wait and watch for a few hours and then head back into town for proper gear."

"Are you nuts?" Dean countered. "We'll be permanent addition

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Author note: I'm a rookie in this fandom and trying to make my way the best I can. I'd appreciate any reviews you see fit to leave. They inspire as well as inform. I hope you enjoy.

Drowning

It was the first time Sam had smiled since Dean had been pulled into Hell. It was an ironic smile; one that asked how on earth Dean, his faithless fast living brother was the one who actually kept him on the straight and narrow. Even though Dean had come and pulled him back into the life, his brother still felt responsible for Sam's innocence. He wanted Sam to be the better of the two of them.

That was funny.

What would Dean say if he saw how he was drinking? What would he think of the unnecessary risks he took when hunting? What would he do about Sam's reckless disregard for human life? What would he think if he knew Sam wanted to die?

All That I Have

Bobby was blowing up his phone with calls and texts. When that didn't work, the old man had tracked him down and confronted him about his downward spiral. He'd even seen his friend's car outside the low rent apartment building where he was living. Bobby was never in the car, but Sam knew he was watching? and worrying.

He didn't care. He didn't care that Bobby was grieving Dean's loss as well. He didn't care that Bobby knew this great grief counselor. Please. He didn't care that Bobby needed his help; whether in truth or disguise.

He didn't care that Dean's voice was whispering to him: "He's all you got left, Dude."

Give Up

Sam lay spread eagle on the twin bed which protruded from the wall of his studio apartment. He was drunk. His clothes hadn't been changed in two days and he hadn't washed them in a week. Double that and you have the time it'd taken him to grow the start of a patchy beard.

It was hard to imagine his dreams being worse than what he had seen with his own two eyes, but they were. In his dreams he could see the Hell Hounds; their impossibly long teeth and razor sharp claws; their inky black fur and glowing blood red eyes. He had always assumed there were only two. But in his dreams there were more; and by the time they were done, Dean was unrecognizable.

Sometimes Sam would wake up screaming as the first hound sunk his claws into his brother. He would be soaked with sweat and panting, trying to catch his breath.

He couldn't take it anymore. He had seen Dean die in so many terrible ways. He wouldn't go through it again. Pulling himself into a sitting position, he let out a long breath?and started laughing. Not because anything was funny, but because the only thing occupying his addled mind was a movie quote:

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

Dean would have appreciated that.

He slipped from the bed to his knees and started praying.

Last Hope

"This never gets old," Dean said, as he tossed some popcorn into his mouth. "Gotta love Carrie Fisher, no bra, and Danishes."

"You would notice that," Sam said sipping from a bottle of Coke. "There's more to Star Wars than Leia's white dress."

"I know!" his brother exclaimed. "Artoo, right. I love that droid.

Sam shook his head and kept watching.

"Don't worry, Sammy. Your man crush Antilles is?well you're gonna have to wait a while."

Sam took the bait. "Don't knock Wedge, Dean. He survived two Death Stars and the Battle of Hoth."

Dean waived a dismissive hand. "So did a lot of other guys. Did Wedge kiss his brother? No. Leia did."

"Wedge ended up marrying a hot blonde," Sam countered.

Dean threw popcorn at him. "If I've told you once I've told you a thousand times, if it's not on film, it never happened."

3. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I'm enjoying these. Your format works quite well, the way the ficlets unite to form a larger story.

I liked the first one for the bantering between the brothers. It all flowed together quite smoothly.

The second set was undoubtedly my favorite of the two, though. You illustrated the downwards spiral that Sam was going into very smoothly. I loved the juxtaposition of the final one to the rest of them: the great contrast between Sam without Dean, and Sam with Dean. Well done; I'm looking forwards to seeing more of these.

4. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Great Job, brodiew. =D=

I love the drabbles and how they blend smoothly into one another to form one story, and the banter between the brothers is just great.

And poor Sam, you did a great job with exploring just how lost and broken Sam was after Dean's death and how much it affected him, and then showing them once again together at the end. What a difference. They are much stronger together.

Loved the little shout-out to SW, btw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.